Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Locked out in California?

Some of you may be in a similar situation . . .
We’ve been RV’ing in California’s Gold Country since right after Thanksgiving. Reservations were made prior to the most recent lockdown at The Lakes RV, Black Oak RV, Jackson Rancheria & Vineyard RV. All of them are multi-day. This trip was made specifically at the request of my daughter-in-law, an A/F nurse recently sent TDY, who was concerned about my son’s (ex-Spec Ops) ability to get to SMF on his own following a traumatic brain injury about a year ago. We will be taking him Thursday.
Our concern was the trip home to Murrieta from Vacaville. The route we take avoids LA and is well over 500 miles. (Can I do it in one day? Yep. Do I want to? Nope.) We always stay overnight at Orange Grove RV east of Bakersfield on 58 our last night out. Would this latest ‘directive’ prohibit a single night’s stop as we were homeward bound?
I just checked the park’s website. Followed up with a phone call to confirm. No problem. If you find yourself in a similar situation, their website is a good place to check.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[Mod Edit] My wife has stag 4 cancer, any travel you or I do for our loved ones is essential. I’m not too far from travis, in santa rosa, you need a place I will try to help.
Semper Fi
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know you want to avoid L.A. and I'm guessing you're planning on going through Tehachapi/Barstow way on the 58. That may be good, but another consideration....Hwy 12 to I-5 south, we often switch over at Stockton to Hwy 4 east, then about three miles to Hwy 99 south. Take that all the way into Santa Clarita and then transition to the 210 Frwy. You may hit some traffic around Pasadena, depending on the time of day. Stay on the 210 to the 15. (482 miles)

We drive at 63 mph when traveling with the RV. Typically, that equates to an average of 50 -55 miles per hour when calculating time. It includes lunch break and fuel. So you'll be looking at a 9-10 hour drive. Make sure you get out to stretch. If you git an early start, like 6am, you would be in Pasadena around 1pm, probably missing the traffic.

When we travel from Northern California back to Ventura County. We also like the Lakes RV in Chowchilla as a last night stop over for a shorter drive in the morning. That Bakersfield RV park would be a good one for you to cut down the last day and let you get through L.A. earlier n the day.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

The rv park by the airport in tehachapi is open 35 a night. The one on the hillside, not downtown.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #5

The Orange grove is cool place to stay. If you need a place I am in Clovis Ca and have 50 amp and on 5 acres let me know.I am one hour north of BKs
Old 12-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #6

Even with the new California 14 day campsite rules, you can still do short stays if you are working your way home or dealing with repairs.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #7

Thank you all very much, for your positive replies.
The purpose of my post was to say that Orange Grove has posted on its website the guidelines under which they are operating. These provide a list of reasons to justify overnight stops that others might want to peruse.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #8

Keep us updated on how traveling in California goes for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #9

I agree with Dutch Star Don: 12 to 5 to 4 to 99. You'll have some construction to deal with on 99 but there are a lot of 3 lane sections to pass slow trucks as opposed to 5 which is 2 lanes in the valley.

We also then take the 210 and you WILL hit traffic in Pasadena. Rather than going all the way to 15 we take 57 to 71 to 91 to 15. But you probably already know that living in So Cal.

Safe travels.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #10

Very kind posts here.
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Thank you all very much, for your positive replies.
The purpose of my post was to say that Orange Grove has posted on its website the guidelines under which they are operating. These provide a list of reasons to justify overnight stops that others might want to peruse.
I see, I am going to the coast next weekend and the RV park just sent me a small list of reasons that would allow me to stay there. I already had a reservation. So I found a "reason" on the list.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know you want to avoid L.A. and I'm guessing you're planning on going through Tehachapi/Barstow way on the 58. That may be good, but another consideration....Hwy 12 to I-5 south, we often switch over at Stockton to Hwy 4 east, then about three miles to Hwy 99 south. Take that all the way into Santa Clarita and then transition to the 210 Frwy. You may hit some traffic around Pasadena, depending on the time of day. Stay on the 210 to the 15. (482 miles)

We drive at 63 mph when traveling with the RV. Typically, that equates to an average of 50 -55 miles per hour when calculating time. It includes lunch break and fuel. So you'll be looking at a 9-10 hour drive. Make sure you get out to stretch. If you git an early start, like 6am, you would be in Pasadena around 1pm, probably missing the traffic.

When we travel from Northern California back to Ventura County. We also like the Lakes RV in Chowchilla as a last night stop over for a shorter drive in the morning. That Bakersfield RV park would be a good one for you to cut down the last day and let you get through L.A. earlier n the day.
I'd take this route in any vehicle. Well worth the additional time it might add to the trip.

Tags
california