Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #57

If you have to lock your surge protector to the pedestal you may want to find a better park..
Bigt2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #58

I simply make a loop in the cable from the camper and use a padlock with a large hasp to lock the camper cable and the surge protector together. Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be.
paradox123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #59

Talking LMAO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rz6wdd View Post
For all that a surge protector does to protect your RV just let let them steal it for you don’t need a surge protector.
in the last 5 years my EMS has detected defective pedestals about a dozen times any one of which could have done serious damage. You might want to do some research on what can happen when your rig, unprotected by a surge protector or better still an EMS gets hit with a voltage spike or prolonged low voltage. I'll give you a hint... every AC device in your coach is now toast.

So add up the cost of replacing your AC, Frig, Microwave, Stereo, TV, Converter, and any other device that happens to be plugged in {computer, smart phones camera's etc.}. Probably around 14 to $20000... if you are lucky and no, your insurance does not cover the damage.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans1999f-53 View Post
Bought a Southwire surge and it has a loop on it for guarding against theft. I can't understand what I can use to lock it at power pedestal??
I use a chain and usually the pedestal has a "head" piece on it that is larger than the post. I wrap the chain tight enough around the post it can't be removed. Otherwise you have to find something to lock the chain around.
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #61

I trust everyone, it's their flesh inside that I don't trust!! I'm not willing to let anything out for possible theft as much as I can help it, been stolen from and not in places that you'd think! Either way, Southwire make one that wires directly in line inside, I have one inside of both of our RV's, then there's never an issue and I just plug and go!!
hencye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #62

Good lock and heavy chain
Agab328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #63

I had room in my electrical bay and cut my power cord then attached plugs and now my $500 surge protector is out of site. Also makes plugging into low pedestals easy.
Winger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #64

Most parks we camp in a cable and lock will deter the snatch and grab thief. Plus most of the time I put a small tarp over the pedestal to keep rain off PI EM unit . Also out of sight helps too.
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #65

In the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
On every MH I ever owned my solution solved both weathedr and theft issues.

I mounted the surge protector in the bay. On several coaches the power cord was directly wired to the electrical system. On these, I cut the cord and put a male connector on my new short end to the coach. I put the appropriate female end on remaining cable remnant. Just plugged the surge protector in and ready for easy removal if necessary.

My current coach has the marine style screw on connector. For this one, I just bought a adapter plug to make the connection inside the bay. I didn't cut the original cord, just got a new one with the appropriate female end. Saved the original cord as an emergency option or so I can take the surge protector with me if I ever trade in the coach.
I'm with RI Expat, get a male and female end off Amazon and make your shore cable into an extension cord basically. The test lights were beaming into the night and seemed to say "take me" to the NorCal homeless. The second benefit is the bluetooth in the BMS is closer and more usable inside the coach for power monitoring.
damcrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 AM   #66

For those of you who say, "you need to find a better place to stay". I question if you travel at all. Because if you did, you'd understand that if you've never been to a place before, you really don't have any idea how safe it is, or the problems they might be having. It takes a few days to get a feel for a place.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:25 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject of locking breaker boxes can comment, but it is my understanding that it is a violation of most codes to lock a breaker box with the breaker in the ON position. Box locking mechanisms are to be used to lock out a breaker - in other words lock a box with the breaker OFF to prevent it from being turned ON such as when maintenance work is being done. Locking a breaker box with the breaker on seems unsafe. What if there is an emergency need to shut the breaker off, like fire or electrical issue?
No such code. There is lockout/tag out devices for maintenance. If padlocked cover there must be a maintenance person on site.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:33 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
I belong to the Locksport community. Just some helpful information for what its worth: Masterlock is one of the easiest brands of locks to pick. I am a beginner at the sport and I can pick almost all Masterlocks available in big box stores, usually in less than a minute.
I would personally choose a lock better than Masterlock.
It's a sport? There is organized competitions?? Categories like 'blindfolded', 'one hand tied behind the back'? Re: Masterlock...good to know!
TenderSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:07 AM   #69

The only problem with the cable locks is they are so easily defeated. I work at a university and bike theft is a big problem. People cruise the campus for bikes and when they see one they want (high end) they jump out, cut the cable with bolt cutters (from Harbor Freight), load it up and drive away. We find the cables laying on the ground cut clean all the time. We've actually tried it ourselves with our bolt cutters and a big pair will go through like butter.

About the only thing we've found that works is one of those U shaped steel bike locks. But I'm not sure how you would attach it to the post and surge protector. Like they say, a lock only keeps honest people honest.
Motor joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #70

Bike Lock

I use a kryptonite steel cable bike lock where feasible. Doesn't work at all sites.
Airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote