Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

Long Drives -Getting a Little Tougher

A month or so back, the topic of "doable" travel distance/day was discussed. We just returned from a trip from Winchester, Wy to Baton Rouge. It was a have too.... not a pleasure trip!! We left at 13:00 hrs. on a Tuesday and were at the campsite at about same time on Thursday in St. Francisville, La. On Wednesday, we covered a little more than 900 miles. With a route around Dallas on I35 to I20, which is a miserable stretch of road construction. Trying to keep pace with traffic flow was hard on us and the camper(We moved stuff around that had "never" moved before).We had planned to go another couple hundred miles, but the trip around Dallas took it's toll on the driver! Gettting tired we decided to catch 3 or 4 hours sleep at a truck stop, but slept for six!

Retirement and RV 'ing is supposed to be leisure time.... but sometimes your hand is "forced"! Still, we slept in our bed, ate our meals at camp(mostly),kept our dogs with us (in stead of boarding while we were gone). The return trip, while not exactly leisurely, was a bit more enjoyable!

Summary: Tho while "doable",we're getting too old for this kind of trip very often!
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #2

I'd have been inclined to fly for that one, but I get the dogs issue.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

If you can, six hours is less of a strain. When I plan a trip, I estimate travel speed @ 50 mph. and that seems to work pretty good. A lot less strain on me driving and setting up. Usually stat looking for a CG during the last hour of travel. 300 miles/6 hours driving are reasonable goals.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Not for us! About 300 miles per day is the limit!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We find that if both can drive at least for a short time it really helps. Having a private two day driving lesson was some of the best $$ we ever spent.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The most we've done in a day is about 500 miles, but that was right up through the heart of the Eastern Megalopolis; I-95 through Richmond, DC, Baltimore, the NJ Turnpike, NYC, and on across southern Connecticut.

I slept well that night!
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

I would never drive that way! Other easier ways.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #8

O.K..... so going it sounded like you had to be there at a certain time. However, returning, since you're retired, you could have taken a week or a month to return. Did your wife help you drive on the long days? There's no reason to drive long days unless it's an emergency. It's dangerous to you and to others.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Not for us! About 300 miles per day is the limit!
x2. I do my overnight planning for 250 miles. During the Summer I will look for a tourist trap for a stop about halfway.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I'm missing your point. Your situation was self inflicted and totally under your control. "Doable" means it can be done, but doesn't mean it has to be done. I think if this was an emergency, driving a car or flying would have been a better choice.

As Clint Eastwood use to say....A man must know his limitations!

We're not 20 anymore. As stated, this could have been dangerous if you started to fall asleep. As we get older, a bigger issue is sitting behind a wheel for so long....blood clots become a concern.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #11

That's why I like 300 miles or 6 hours, which ever comes first. Nice easy pace!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I am impressed. Back in my youth I could do it (used to drive from Kansas City to New Jersey in one session). But age is taking it's toll. Now 8 hours and 400 miles or so is Max for me. Even with that we try to keep it to 300 miles or less at a time.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #13

I use to do Jersey to East St. Lou. in 18 hrs. Not now.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Like many - we try to keep our daily drive somewhere in the 4-5 hour range (200 - 300 miles). But there are those times when you simply need to make miles. On the couple of occasions we've been in that situation - we've found that the following approach seems to work best for us.

We'll start the drive doing our "normal" 4-5 hour stretch - then hit a rest area for a good 2 hour nap. After that it's a cycle of 3-4 hours of driving - followed by 2 (..ish) hour rest area nap stop. Driving in this manner - we can squeeze 17 hours of drive time and still get 7 hours of "down time" in a 24 hour period. Food ends up being snacks from the 'fridge or fast food grabbed when we refuel - and eaten while we roll or during a rest stop. At 60 mph - that turns into roughly 1,000 miles a day.

Let me add that both myself and my DW can drive our rig - however, I'm far more comfortable behind the wheel than she is. When we're trying to make miles - we plan things so that her shifts are on the stretches of open highway where she's more comfortable. I'm pretty much always behind the wheel when we're going thru bigger cities.

We've come to realize that NEITHER of us can completely unplug and sleep while the other is driving. Regardless of what I say - she worries about me getting drowsy which prevents her from getting any real sleep when I'm behind the wheel.

The fact that she can be "uncomfortable" in heavy traffic, as well very directionally challenged - and the reality that she's not 100% in tune with the coach (i.e., the sounds, the alarms, the warning lights, etc.) - means that I'm reluctant to leave her up front driving by herself while I go back and get a real nap. (She's got my full confidence her ability to steer, stop and control the coach ... however, let an alarm or warning light come on (without me being there to help her assess the meaning) or make a decision with regards to keeping us on our route .... not so much!)

Regardless of who is driving - the other sits in the "co-pilot" seat - relaxing but still keeping "one eye open". In the end - we're finding that our approach works best for us when making miles can't be avoided.