Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Those winter monthly payments ae twice as hard to make as the summer when RV's are being used.
We belong to a country club near Chicago. If we’re lucky, clubs are used from mid May through October. Dues are the same all 12 months. Should we avoid country clubs and boats since the same months apply to them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
If they don't give you the loan start to talk about age discrimination.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
We belong to a country club near Chicago. If we’re lucky, clubs are used from mid May through October. Dues are the same all 12 months. Should we avoid country clubs and boats since the same months apply to them?
Yes.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
This is the age-old question of finance vs pay Cash.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I ALWAYS had a car loan and a new car every year or 2.....man was I cool, but 30 years later I can hardly remember any of them but I do remember how much more $$ I would have now if I had just paid cash for a couple of year older car that had no payment

I have not had a loan on a non-income producing asset for more than 20 years now and the financial results have been amazing

Do I have the newest coolest RV rolling down the road these days....NO, but candidly I'll put my 20-year-old Pusher with full Solar and Lithium battery system against any of the newbies in my size range.....ANYTHING!! and it's paid for!! We just don't worry about what it's worth anymore because I have my monthly payment $$ going into investments and other income-producing assets, so we can spend more time using our baby!

I only wish I could reach back and give this advice to my 30-year-old self
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #33

I have the money to pay cash for my toys, but when good interest rates are offered I take advantage. You will lose the same amount to depreciation whether it is financed or not. Having a monthly payment even helps in a way. It reminds me to check on them in the off season and serves to alert me when I have lost interest and am ready to let it go. If I am upside down, I pull a whole lot less cash out of my accounts than I would have needed to purchase it outright.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
If you need a 20 year loan on a toy….
If you need a loan I would make it as long as possible to get low payments. Having low payments let’s you use it for a few years on the cheap and move on.

If you are doing it strictly from an affordability standpoint I would rather see you save then become fully leveraged.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post

I only wish I could reach back and give this advice to my 30-year-old self
Same here! Bought new cars and trucks on credit at least yearly when in my 20 and early 30s. Borrowed from my 401k a few times, company quit matching for 6 months each time, just to buy car stereo stuff. Had a Montgomery Ward credit card that pretty much stayed maxed out because I only paid the minimum each month.

Thankfully, I was finally able to realize how goofy I was being. I might take advantage of 0% financing now, but nope, I'm gonna either pay cash or skip buying if I don't have the funds. I like not having any worries about losing or being upside down on big purchases I make. Too much pride here to ever purposely borrow with the thought that I'd just let something go back if I lost my job/died/something else.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I've seen stuff like this mentioned a few times on here. Would someone please tell me where I can get a reliable 9%? Heck, I'd settle for 5%.

Edited to add: I wouldn't finance anything for 20 years, most definitely not a recreational vehicle.
We get 9% interest on all our retirement funds locally here in Dallas TX.
nsxprime is offline   Reply With Quote