Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Looking at new coaches

My wife and I are looking at new coaches. I have searched and searched for different reviews and opinions. Honest, straight forward answers are hard to find and I fully expect many differing opinions here. So be honest and tell me what you think.

We are looking at diesel pushers and we think we have it narrowed down to 3 brands. The model isn't important for this discussion as I just want opinions of the 3 manufacturers.

We've narrowed it down to
Tiffin
Winnebego
Monoco

Is the quality of Tiffin still top notch?
Has Winnebego fixed the problems with their high end coach?
Has Monoco returned to be a top notch contender?

Thank you.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

1 Entegra

2 Newmar

3 Tiffin

Or consider buying a used coach from a high end builder.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

I think you're going to get A LOT of opinions from everyone.. obviously each will be slanted towards the make they own..

I think your list is good... but I would seriously consider adding Newmar and Entegra to that list...

I think the most important is floor plan.. You'll want a floor plan to your liking, once you've determined that.. then you can see how many of the manufacturers offer what you're looking for..

I'm a WBGO/Itasca guy.. but I only have a gasser... When we get to the point of shopping for our DP... I will have Entegra highest on my list (GF likes the WBGO Ellipse)..

I especially like the Aspire.. It fits our budget.. and the best thing (I think).. I can MAYBE find a one year old unit (to lessen the initial purchase price) and still have another year of warranty left.. Makes a compelling argument to buying used vs new...

Good luck..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a new RV owner and do not own any of the 3 listed, but... I looked at a lot of coaches in both diesel and gas. I purchased a gasser obviously but that is for a wide variety of reasons not a part of your question.

Food for thought tho and i like many aspects of all 3 you list.
Winnebago and Monaco are both owner and serviced by REV group now and in all the threads i have read many Winny owners are waiting to see how that change of ownership goes. Many think it is a good thing but it is kinda unproven at the present. My coach is fleetwood which also is owned by REV now as well and they just opened a new service center for all of them in Alvarado Texas.

I think you will find very few complaints on Tiffin as well and i was closely considering the Allegro with them.

NewMar and entegra are not on your list and i can only assume that's because of price as both are a bit more than the manufactures listed typically.

I think if you find a floor plan you like in any of the 3 and its at your price point you would be happy with any of them, but that is just my opinion.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
Winnebago and Monaco are both owner and serviced by REV group now and in all the threads i have read many Winny owners are waiting to see how that change of ownership goes.
I'd be VERY interested to find out where you heard this from... WBGO is NOT owned by anyone.. They recently purchased the rights to Country Coach.. but no one bought them..

Can you please let us know where you got your information ?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=oakcreekeric;3013281]I'd be VERY interested to find out where you heard this from... WBGO is NOT owned by anyone.. They recently purchased the rights to Country Coach.. but no one bought them..

Can you please let us know where you got your information ?[/QUOT

REV Group
REV Recreation Group

The only recreational vehicle manufacturing company with the stability, singular focus, unmatched integrity and revolutionary vision to be the steward of the most trusted, iconic American RV brands, proudly leading them into the next generation.

The Brands

American Coach, Fleetwood RV, Holiday Rambler, Monaco. Four distinct brands each with their own unique story—a history that not only reveals where they came from and the values upon which they were founded, but also explains where they are today and where they're headed tomorrow

And OOPS you may be 100% correct I was thinking american coach and confused them with country coach, I apologize --- but isn't Holiday rambler a winny product?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
but isn't Holiday rambler a winny product?
Nope !!

You had me going for a moment...
Old 04-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Nope !!

You had me going for a moment...
well i stand corrected and apologize for the misprint, but still doesn't change my answer to the OP, I like all three listed and they all have their good points and values.

--- OLD people often confuse names country coach/ american coach who knew
^^^^^^^ (thats a joke BTW)^^^^
Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
And OOPS you may be 100% correct I was thinking american coach and confused them with country coach, I apologize --- but isn't Holiday rambler a winny product?
No... Holiday Rambler - in it's latest form - is a Monaco product. At one time they were an independent company. Got bought by Harley Davidson for a while in the 90's, then purchased by Monaco, and have been on that roller coaster ever since.

To the OP... While Entegra might be out of your budget, be sure to keep Newmar on your list.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

Add Newmar to the top of your list. We had no problems with ours and absolutely loved its quality.

You can always get good deals on used motorhomes and get a better quality. A few years old will have the kinks worked out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Monaco/Holiday Rambler also have the brand name rights to Beaver and Safari....all now part of the REV conglomerate.

As mentioned, Winnie/Itasca just recently purchase the rights to Country Coach.

And I agree with others...Entegra and Newmar should be on your list.

When we were looking for a new coach back in 2013, our first consideration was the floor plan, second was the price, and third was the brand. Most of the mid-level coaches today are pretty much equal in most aspects and that's why brand was our 3rd consideration. They all have the same engine/trans, appliances, options, and to some extent, floor plans available.

You need to go to Rallys and RV retailers to look and drive to find your dream.

Good luck.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago is its own corporation and owns the Winnebago, Itasca, and Country Coach and Sunnybrooke (trailer) brands.

REV Group (now) owns Fleetwood, American Coach, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari brands (last two are not in production). They are all made in the same factory but cross a broad price and quality range. The assembly line for American Coach & high-end Monaco models is separate from the regular lines.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'll probably catch holy hell for this, but I don't consider Tiffin to be "top notch quality". They build a nice coach with good value for the money, but their reputation comes from outstanding customer service, not building high quality. Tiffin coaches aren't any less trouble prone than other brands - just check the backlog for service at the factory in Red Bay if you are in doubt.

New Monacos aren't any better (or worse) quality than the similar-price-range brands from REV Groups other brands. Design & material quality go more with price range than brand name, with higher end models getting the better grades of materials and less rush on the assembly line too. By the way, Rev Group's factory service center is also outstanding. As is Winnebago's.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Monaco/Holiday Rambler also have the brand name rights to Beaver and Safari....all now part of the REV conglomerate.
I just saw somewhere that Beaver Coach Sales of Bend, OR just aquired the rights to Beaver from REV Group... pretty interesting... it appears Beavers may be making a comeback !!