Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
KC

Looking for any input on Good Sam vs AAA roadside assistance

Looking for a good roadside assistance program for RVing. We have a 22k Motorhome. Looking at AAA RV premier or Good Sam. We have AAA standard service now for our cars but need something for our RV. Any thoughts, advice or storys.

Thanks

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can of worms with all the haters and the lovers. Best of advice is to read every word in the contract so you dont get pissed off went you need something you did not buy. Do not assume anything.

Let us know what decide and why, your thought can help the rest of us.
Good luck
Old 02-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have both AAA RV Premiere & Coach Net Premiere. The reason is that both provide good service, but not in all situations. If one of them fails us, it is our hope that the other one will come through. Either one is a great choice. We had GSERS and had no complaints about them except for the long wait times to get help. 3-4 hours was the usual and we found that to be unacceptable hence the switch to coach net premiere.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are a lot of RVer's that do not like Good Sam, but I have had them, for several years and have been satisfied. I'm not sure that AAA is set up to service RV's. They are more suited for autos, IMOP.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

I have both AAA RV premimum and Good Sam, but thankfully have not had to use them yet
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

My local AAA in PA doesn't cover RV's. I don't know what happens when an out of state AAA member has a problem here. Better get that answered before depending on it.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

We have good sam's roadside service and had to use this past year. They sent out a mobile tech and paid the service charge. the tech fixed the problem and charged us for one hour's work which included the part $105. We were very pleased with the service.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

We have both AAA and Good Sam. Fortunately, we haven't needed their assistance with the RV. Earlier this year, we required assistance with our auto after an accident. AAA's auto phone answering program had us on hold for approximately 15 minutes before the call disconnected. I called back and was on hold again for about the same length of time before I remembered that we also had Good Sam. I called Good Sam and a human answered immediately. They arranged help and then texted the estimated time of arrival. They followed up with a phone call shortly thereafter to ensure that we were taken care of. We were very glad to have Good Sam and would dump AAA if it wasn't free as an employee benefit.
cakelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

We started out with AAA for our TT and PU. It worked great locally but out of the immediate area is where we ran into problems. AAA is regional and their service will depend on who responds. We had a hassle with one driver getting him to change the flat on our inner dual. Calls to AAA supervisor said they should have changed it without issue but each service provider has its own policy. We added CoachNet and had to use them several times without problems, a couple of times far from town. We kept AAA as a backup and for local use. Can't comment on GS.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

We must have our RDS from our regular car Ins. We got a.promo in the mail for GS for 5 months free. We called them for our truck which needed a toe 50 miles to a shop for a new transmission. GS called a toe Co. they came took the truck into town and we were never billed. So with that said we joined the GS club and will pay for their RSA program. They saved us several hundreds of dollars on a temporary membership.
usplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #11

Don't know if you are the same poster on another forum so I'll give my 2 cents worth here. Most standard policies only will tow you to the nearest approved facility. If there is a different shop you prefer further away, the additional charges come out of your wallet. Not really a big issue if you are far from home and need someone to fix your rig but if you are nearer to home and want to use your mechanic, it may not be covered. Read the policies carefully and make sure what you buy covers what you need. AAA has a more expensive RV policy that gives a mileage range for a tow (100 miles?) and I think Good Sam also offers a longer tow mileage for an additional cost. I plan to explore this further next month when my AAA policy expires and we begin our camping season.

I have read often concerns about coverage area for AAA outside home state but never experienced it. I also had Good Sam on a previous rig. The only time we used it was for a lockout at a campground and that was resolved quickly and professionally. I didn't see an extended mileage towing distance policy offered by CoachNet.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #12

I have the Good Sam service. Although has been a couple years ago, was great. They found me a professional shop and tow was 45 miles for my Class A. Great service.
svo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
AAA does not insure MH in our state either, Oregon, but the AAA RV roadside assistance has nothing to do with insurance. We have the AAA RV Roadside assistance and will continue with it, as it is good throughout the nation.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
My local AAA in PA doesn't cover RV's. I don't know what happens when an out of state AAA member has a problem here. Better get that answered before depending on it.

You call the AAA number for your home state and they will arrange towing in any state. I did find they took awhile in states that don't offer it but they will find it.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote