Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2022, 05:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Looking for dehumidifier suggestions for RV in humid climates

As title says, I’m looking for recommendations for a dehumidifier to leave in RV when not actively being used to keep humidity lower here in Florida. I know I can run AC units but I’m thinking a dehumidifier will consume less power and I won’t be putting so many hours on the AC units.

There are about 100 dehumidifiers on Amazon. Some rated high, some so-so.
I don’t care so much about noise as I plan on running it when the MH is parked. I have AC power and a sewer hookup so I’m looking for a unit I can put on the kitchen counter and drain into sink. I’d like to know about units with a pump as I don’t really want to empty a water container every day. Got any suggestions?
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2022, 06:04 AM   #2

Can't help with a specific unit but can you set the dehumidifier in the shower so you wouldn't need the pump?
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Yes, as others have suggested, you can purchase a hose to fit on most dehumidifiers to simply drain the water by gravity into a sink or shower as long as the water drains downhill. A unit with pump is only needed if you need to drain water UPHILL.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:36 AM   #4

Assuming you have shore power, here is what we have done on everyone of our sailboats and motorhomes:

Buy a small (30 pint) house-type dehumidifier. Set it to 50% humidity (high enough that the wood won't dry out, low enough to prevent mold and mildew from growing).

Set it on the kitchen sink or in the shower so it drains into the gray tank. Once the initial moisture is removed, volume will not be much.

If a long coach, set up a low speed fan to circulate the air throughout the coach.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:36 AM   #5

Dave-

I agree with "SteveJ" in his recommendation to put the dehumidifer in the shower pan. Any malfunction in the dehumidifier would go down the shower drain, rather than over the counter and onto the galley floor.

I'd think about putting the unit on some soft mat or surface to protect the shower pan from damage. A kitchen-sink come to mind, but I'd try to get one that would not encourage mildew.

I bought a 50-pint dehumidifer for my house's 24 by 40-foot basement. Here's the link. It sounds oversized for your application, but may be OK as Florida air is so full of water. This model features a tank, a direct (it doesn't use the tank) hose connection, and a pump. I use the hose connection into a sump. You could do the same. Remove the strainer from the shower drain and secure the hose end in the drain pipe.

If I was going to be away for more than a few days to a week, I'd ask/hire someone to look after my coach. Electricity can fail, breakers can open, hoses can break or come loose, etc.. "Better safe than sorry."
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #6

Ours is a smaller 28 foot class A so I figured a 30 pint unit would be just about right. Found this one back in January of 2020.

Amazon - Yaufey 30 Pint Dehumidifier

I set it in the kitchen sink and use the included hose to drain straight down the drain. It stays plugged in while stored at my home. One thing I like about it is that it doesn't lose its setting when unplugged from power. Setting it to maintain 65% humidity has worked well for the going on 3 years I've been using it.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #7

The one I have in my house pulls 1-2 gallons per day. With an empty gray tank you'll last a month, maybe more?
Tachdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachdriver View Post
The one I have in my house pulls 1-2 gallons per day. With an empty gray tank you'll last a month, maybe more?

First, an RV has a LOT less volume than your house.

Second, you go in and out of your house (letting in more humid air). Probably not in the RV while in storage. Once the initial moisture is removed, very little more gets in/needs to be removed.

From a "been there, done that", I have never had my gray tank filled by a dehumidifier even when storing for 3 months at a time parked 4 miles from Galveston Bay.

If parked at your house or where it is easily accessible to you, just use the built in bucket and drain when full.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
First, an RV has a LOT less volume than your house.

Second, you go in and out of your house (letting in more humid air). Probably not in the RV while in storage. Once the initial moisture is removed, very little more gets in/needs to be removed.

From a "been there, done that", I have never had my gray tank filled by a dehumidifier even when storing for 3 months at a time parked 4 miles from Galveston Bay.

If parked at your house or where it is easily accessible to you, just use the built in bucket and drain when full.

What was the longest you stored your RV with a dehumidifier running, and how much water did it generate?

Curious, you're right about a opening and closing of doors. Never figured that some RVs were well insulated.
Tachdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't have power in the barn I store the mh. I use two 4 lbs bucket of damprid
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachdriver View Post
What was the longest you stored your RV with a dehumidifier running, and how much water did it generate?

Curious, you're right about a opening and closing of doors. Never figured that some RVs were well insulated.

Stored up to 3 months at a time. Can't really tell you how many gallons, but gray tank (50 gallon) never showed over half.

Again, if volume is your concern, just use the dehumidifier's tank and empty as needed. But I think you may be over-thinking this.

Insulation (temperature) is really not the problem. Air movement in and out is the only way more moisture gets in.

Be aware that these dehumidifiers do not work well below 35 degrees F as they freeze up. But, being on the Gulf coast, that (long periods of below 35 degree weather) was not an issue. Just turn it off during the cold spell.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For fall, winter and spring camping, we use an Eva-dry EDV-2200 dehumidifier from here https://www.eva-dry.com/product-cate...e-rv-and-boat/ and have been very happy with its performance for almost 10 years, first in our no slide gasser and now in our 4 slide DP. The unit we have runs on 12v or AC
Old 10-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #13

We have one just like this. we live on the Oregon coast so we know a little about humidity. this dehumidifier sets on the counter to of our 27' T/T and runs all winter. i manually dump mine, but you could easily attach a hose to the tank and drain into the sink. i'll probably do this, this winter. it works great and easily keeps the inside smelling fresh and dry. i close the trailer up tight and open all the cupboards and drawers so the dry air can circulate. Jay D. [url]https://www.walmart.com/ip/VAVSEA-Electric-Dehumidifier
SEE BELOW.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #14

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VAVSEA-El...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote