RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking for ideas on Driving Lewis & Clark Trail?

Looking for any fellow IRV2 forum member's information on driving the Lewis & Clark Trail (After this winter) We do know you can not drive the actual trail as much of it is by water. We would, however, like to stay as true to the main trail as possible? Should anyone know or have driven along the L&C trail prior, North-side or South-side while staying as close as possible to the main trail? We know that it starts in the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail is approximately 4,900 miles long, extending from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to the mouth of the Columbia River, near present-day Astoria, Oregon. It follows the historic outbound and inbound routes of the Lewis and Clark Expedition as well as the preparatory section from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Wood River, Illinois. The Trail connects 16 states State. We have been following the L&C History, along with our FB group by the same name. As to there being an RV driving trail or not is what we would like to know? Any Suggestions please, BLOGS, MAP INFO, whatever thanks.

We like dogs and L&C dog named "SEAMAN" was by all accounts the first USA Government acquired Canine and was a Black & White Newfoundland as the full black color bread did not appear until the last 100-years.

So whatever information on a possible trail(s) would be helpful thanks for our summer RV tour.
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 06:41 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are going in May. We booked on the Fantasy Tour with another couple. We meet in MO and go from there. They may still have room. We have taken their trips before and they are great. They do all the planning.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks, we can check that out and did not know there was a regular group RV TOURS, Interesting thank You. Also, I found this one but not the one you suggested: https://adventurecaravans.com/tour/lewis-clark-trail/ I'm sure some would enjoy it. Just found the link I believe you were suggesting. Very nice thanks for the information: https://fantasyrvtours.net/riverswest/

Very nice, suggestion thanks.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Take a look at this site: https://www.nps.gov/lecl/index.htm

It has maps, interesting historic points, etc. This is an officially designated “National Historic Trail”, and there is a lot of information available. We have been along much of it, but we haven’t made the whole route yet. If you end up starting in Omaha, make sure you go to the National a historic Trails Center there. They have information about all kinds of National Historic Trails. We have used their material to do a number of interesting trips.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #5

Some years ago, at a random stop, we bought a National Geographic publication illustrating places where Lewis & Clark camped, and pictures & descriptions of the sites today. This is probably available on the Geographic website. It certainly made our trip more interesting.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #6

Lewis and Clark Trail

dogman635UT. The Lewis and Clark Trail. We really want to follow the L&C Trail also. What a ADVENTURE that would be. We have been to Wood River, Il site. Since we live 40 miles south of St. Louis MO. It has a great visitor center, packed with all kinds of exhibits and a mock up of their first winter camp. I bought the Trail book which has all the directions in it. We will be going in a very large truck camper, we leave the 40' fifth wheel on our snowbird site in central FL.
You say there is FB page. What is the name of it. A BLOG? What is the name of it.
I am like you looking for any info.
So I will be following this thread
Safe Travel to you guys.
Have a Pleasant Day
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

The history of the Lewis and Clark expedition is quite interesting. We followed part of the route in 2008, can't remember much of it today.

St. Charles, MO today is city with much to attract visitors, I have wondered what it was like when the expedition was began.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

A lot of the trail follows US 12 across North Dakota, Montana, and into Idaho and Washington. One of the nicest RV parks we have ever been in was in Clarkston, Washington called Granite Lake. It is across the Snake River from Lewiston, Idaho. As you can probably guess, this was where Lewis and Clark were pointed to way down to Snake to the Columbia where the Clearwater River junctions with the Snake. US 12 from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID is a pretty drive but be prepared for a ton of curves as it follows the Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers down to Lewiston.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

I just now did a Google on 'RV trip on Lewis & Clark Trail' and this and many more came up for you to read:

https://rvlifestyle.com/across-wide-missouri/

Also this one for Oregon. It's probably easiest to search for every state for better specifics on local information.

https://lewisandclarkcountry.org/pac...gon-discovery/

For us, we'd much rather do it on our own rather than a caravan. Then we can explore in detail the sections that most appeal to us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

Dogman635UT. We talked about taking a caravan with one of the tour groups mentioned above. A great idea. We don't think it will work for us. You are on a Schedule. We thought we could be in an area where we want to explore more, but the caravan will leave in the morning. The idea of some else doing all the planning is enticing. As you travel the route, you may see a brown sign about another site you would like to see, yet you probably should stay with the caravan. I think we will probably take a caravan someday. One that has my interest is The Great River Road caravan along the Mississippi River. We are at our snowbird site in central FL till spring. Then next spring we will purchase the truck camper. So we have a hurdle to get over before we can do any exploring. Nut it will happen.
Keep us informed about your plans.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #11

We are from Oregon but ended up in Dayton OH. My wife was a grade school teacher and she wanted to get as much information as she could about the Lewis and Clark journey. We did as much of the route as we could in 1980. Problem was much of the route was on private property and we got asked to leave several times. there were a few markers but not much more. Thankfully we travel back west frequently and there are many more things to see and much more information along the route now. The Lewis & Clark park at Fort Clatsop is a must see and would make a good starting place.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:43 AM   #12

We rode the L&C trail by motorcycle from the Pacific Ocean to Missouri. We followed the route by road and stopped at numerous museums and other sites along the way. It was a terrific trip and I'd recommend to anyone to take by whatever mode of transportation you choose.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look at Groups and type "Lewis and Clark" which should bring it up quickly. Currently, they are posting a daily events log from the book L&C Offical LOG explaining what took place day by day. Pictures, iPod inserts, and today or sat a teleconference going over the trail not real sure. You will find more in the group. Good Luck

In my reading of all your posts, many of you are or seem very interested as are we. I would if it would all be okay to direct those who would like to know. The FB Group L&C is currently doing daily readings from the logbook along with pictures. I had also seen an IPOD story on the boats and horns they used to communicate will each other when separated. Some from the NPS folks, history folks all very credible and fun really. For those of you who would like to check it out.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You bring up some good points and from the day we first married some 40-years ago we enjoy flexibility in our travels. You may enjoy a closer trail called the Natchez Trace where Clark died on his way to Washington D.C.. Natchez trail is an NP that runs from MS to TN and is driven slow, bikers, hikers, and lots of information. Other than knowing more about L&C dog we would enjoy a trail over and through the rocky Mt.

LET US KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A BLOG, pictures.

Tags
clark, dog, dogs, drives, explore, history, lewis, nps, routes, trail, trails