Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Louisiana Insurance?

Wow. GMAC just jumped our premiums from 1800 to 2590 per year on RV and tow. No tickets, no accidents, no claims, no problems. That's over 30%. This is after our Good Sam, good driver and multi car discounts. Anyone have any suggestions for Louisiana? We do not have a S&B, fulltimers, live in RV...travel about 8-9 months out of the year. If I do have to pay these kind of rates, it won't be to GMAC now. I know LA is 'different' in a lot of ways...but I hate to change residency to be able to afford insurance.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That's a 44% increase..
I still do not understand why people go directly to a company and act as their own agent...I've been in the insurance world since 1966 and wouldn't think of it!
Find an agent who specializes in RV coverage and represents several companies. Maybe two such agents and let them do the work.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
That's a 44% increase..
I still do not understand why people go directly to a company and act as their own agent...I've been in the insurance world since 1966 and wouldn't think of it!
Find an agent who specializes in RV coverage and represents several companies. Maybe two such agents and let them do the work.
Good point.
I just requested quotes from Good Sam / GMAC and my local agent. I compared them line by line and found GMAC included vehicle replacement for the first 5 years. GMAC was 88% higher than my local agent. I'm in Michigan with the famous "No Fault" insurance.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
That's a 44% increase..
I'm trying to find an agent who will represent several companies. The problem seems to be that we are residents of Louisiana. I have talked to 2 agents so far, Poliseek only has one company that writes in LA (National Interstate), waiting to hear from the other local agent.... but he didn't sound very excited at trying to find insurance for an RV. Going to call Miller Insurance this morning when the west coast opens up. The problem seems to be finding a company who (1) writes in Lousiana and (2) for full timers.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #5

My agent was 10% higher than my on-line quotes from GMAC, Progressive, and Geico.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
My agent was 10% higher than my on-line quotes from GMAC, Progressive, and Geico.
I'm on my 3rd agent, I'm finding the same thing....keep getting agents who write for this or that company, but not for so and so. Just talked to Foremost, they don't do any discounts for LA. Figures. But it was $1549 for the RV alone. They don't do cars. Have to get tow vehicle separate.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
I'm trying to find an agent who will represent several companies. The problem seems to be that we are residents of Louisiana. I have talked to 2 agents so far, Poliseek only has one company that writes in LA (National Interstate), waiting to hear from the other local agent.... but he didn't sound very excited at trying to find insurance for an RV. Going to call Miller Insurance this morning when the west coast opens up. The problem seems to be finding a company who (1) writes in Lousiana and (2) for full timers.
Which is driving up the cost the full-timing or writing in Louisiana? I am curious being I am thinking of upgrading to a MH and the insurance cost is a factor in that decision.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Which is driving up the cost the full-timing or writing in Louisiana? I am curious being I am thinking of upgrading to a MH and the insurance cost is a factor in that decision.
not sure, can't get a straight answer. GMAC said this was a rate revision, but the person at Foremost just told me that Louisiana is a "high" expense state...he couldn't or wouldn't define it further then that.... of course with our 'politics'...can't say I'm overly surprised. Looking now at doing the Texas thing I guess. The rate reduction would be at least 25% so far.
But plates/registration is higher per year. So I guess we need to study the averages.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
South Dakota might look good too.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody out there with Geico? They are giving a GREAT quote but they don't offer total loss....just FMV. That's scary, but we're going into 4th year....so we'd lose it next year anyway.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call these people, they have the best coverage and the best price. Ask me why I know............Good Luck

Please call us at (866) 484-BLUE (2583) to purchase the quote, make modifications to that quote, or to discuss the quote in further detail with one of our agents - be sure to ask how you can save money on your insurance during the months your RV is in storage!

To learn more about the specialty RV insurance coverage available through the Blue Sky RV Insurance program, please visit http://www.BlueSkyRVInsurance.com.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
UPDATE: it's not Louisiana in particular...obviously GMAC is raising rates all over. Thru the GS liasion, I got a call from the customer relations person at GMAC last night. She said it was two fold, that Louisiana did have a rate review, ok, thats resonable, but then she said my husband's "score" went down. Was vague on what score, but his credit score is fine. She ran the numbers under MY name and suddenly, we're back to normal; sort of, a $165 increase which I guess is the state issue. So the CSR I talked to first either didn't know what she was doing or chose not to share this "score" issue thing. We are leaning toward Geico at this point. They have a good rate, lost the TLP, but expected that anyway. Tired of having my rate raised just because they can....and I'm obviously not alone out here. The companies have no loyalty to their customers anymore....and wonder why we aren't loyal to them anymore.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #13

Quote:
UPDATE: it's not Louisiana in particular...obviously GMAC is raising rates all over. Thru the GS liasion, I got a call from the customer relations person at GMAC last night. She said it was two fold, that Louisiana did have a rate review, ok, thats resonable, but then she said my husband's "score" went down. Was vague on what score, but his credit score is fine. She ran the numbers under MY name and suddenly, we're back to normal; sort of, a $165 increase which I guess is the state issue. So the CSR I talked to first either didn't know what she was doing or chose not to share this "score" issue thing. We are leaning toward Geico at this point. They have a good rate, lost the TLP, but expected that anyway. Tired of having my rate raised just because they can....and I'm obviously not alone out here. The companies have no loyalty to their customers anymore....and wonder why we aren't loyal to them anymore.
It is Louisiana in particular. Louisiana is one of the highest states in the nation for auto insurance! Louisiana comes in with the second highest cost for auto insurance rates, right behind Michigan. The lowest cost state is Vermont. The average rate auto policy that cost $995 in Vermont will cost $2,453 in Louisiana!

The 10 highest cost states are 1. Michigan, $2,541, 2. Louisiana, $2,453, 3. Oklahoma, $2,197, 4. Montana, $2,190, 5. Washington, D.C., $2,146, 6. California, $1,991, 7. Mississippi, $1,896, 8. New Mexico, $1,896, 9. Arkansas, $1,836, and 10. Maryland, $1,807.

The 10 lowest states are 42. Utah, $1,272, 43. Virginia, $1,237, 44. Iowa, $1,179, 45. North Carolina, $1,154, 46. Ohio, $1,152, 47. Tennessee, $1,146, 48. Wisconsin, $1,128, 49. Maine, $1,126, 50. South Carolina, $1,095, and 51. Vermont, $995. By the way, the states control what the insurance company can charge.

Louisana is probably high because of storm damage, but Florida is 29 on the list with the average policy costing $1,476. Also Louisiana's judicial system tends to return large jury verdicts in cases involving auto accident injuries, according to insurance agents in that state. That means bigger payouts from insurance companies and thus higher rates.

And concerning insurance scores, there are two providers of insurance scores, Fair Isaac Corporation (who also is the largest provider of credit scores) and ChoicePoint. Each have their own their own scale for scoring.

Fair Isaac Corporation scores range from 300-900—the higher your score, the better. A good score is above 700. A great score is above 800.

ChoicePoint scores range from 300-997. Similar to Fair Isaac Corporation, you want to have as high as score as possible.

Remember though each insurance company has a different view of what a good score is. For some companies, you may qualify for the lowest rate with a score above 750. Other companies may give you a discount based on a score of 700.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I tried going through Miller twice, the first time I never got a quote, the next time they called and wanted to know how much I was paying now. No way was I going to tell them that, I wanted a fair quote not one predicated on what I was paying now. I won't bother with them again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance