Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thumbs up Love using the collapsible ladder!

During our last trip we had an opportunity to try out the new 7' collapsible ladder we had purchased (read about it on the forum in an older post) and were very impressed with it! It really does open and close in seconds. Takes up a minuscule amount of storage space, too, and I very much liked that. I think when closed it is less than 4"x4". Camping World Item #20319, if anyone is curious (it's on sale right now, too).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Camping World Item #20319, if anyone is curious (it's on sale right now, too).
Patti,

That part number isn't pointing at the right ladder, methinks.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
7' Double-Sided Rung Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D7 - Ladders - Camping World

If this is the correct item, please be very careful working while standing on the 3rd rung or above. Be sure ALL four legs are on a firm, level surface. IMHO, this ladder is not safe for high work.
I had one, trashed it and replaced it with a "Little Giant". I'm comfortable using this to work near the roof of my coach.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We were at an RV park in Birmingham, AL last week and our neighbor had one of those. It was extremely unstable! I would never get higher than the second or third rung without someone holding from the side!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If the snaps at the bottom are locked in place, our is extremely stable.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used mine quite a bit and I agree with others that using the higher steps can be a little frightening as it will wobble some. I think that if the ladder had a cross member on the very top, it would make it much more stable. Been meaning to look into that.

I had a little giant with my previous mh (where I could store it in the front generator compartment), but couldn't find a decent place to store it in this mh without taking up a lot of valuable storeage space. Granted the little giant was MUCH more stable.

I only use mine to wash/dry windows and other light duty work I can't reach from the ground.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I've carried a ladder for thousands of miles and have never had the need to use it but I still carry one. Not to steel a topic but are they really necessary?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
During our last trip we had an opportunity to try out the new 7' collapsible ladder we had purchased (read about it on the forum in an older post) and were very impressed with it! It really does open and close in seconds. Takes up a minuscule amount of storage space, too, and I very much liked that. I think when closed it is less than 4"x4". Camping World Item #20319, if anyone is curious (it's on sale right now, too).

Wow 4"x4" you could almost keep it in your shirt pocket.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had one that I would use to put the sun screens on the windows and then store under the motorhome until we needed to take them off to move. After a couple of dust storms the sliding parts got enough grit in them that a couple of the arms stuck and bent and could never be totally straightened to make it usable. Anyone who has one should keep it clean and oiled. Love my Little Giant!
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #10

Ours too. Been using it for decades, and haven't fallen - yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
If the snaps at the bottom are locked in place, our is extremely stable.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've owned one for 10 years, first the 6' model and now the 7' model. I'm 6'2" and 300 pounds and I climb all the way to the second from the top rung when necessary. The ladder wasn't designed to be used everyday to paint houses, it was designed as a foldable ladder for RV use.

I use mine every trip to clean the windshield. My BIL use to laugh at me when he saw my big ole butt climb up that ladder and wash the windshield. He was still carrying an "A" frame fiberglass ladder that took up half of his storage. They bought a new coach just before Christmas and his kids asked what they could get him for the motor home as a Christmas gift. I recommended the ladder. He just loves it.

The first one I bought, my SIL has and is still in use after 9 years. You do have to rinse them off when they get dirty, especially if you're storing it in the coach bays.

I bought a square plastic fence post support from Lowes and mounted it on the side wall of my pass thru storage bay. The ladder slides right in and makes it easy to access without moving around other items.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We were at an RV park in Birmingham, AL last week and our neighbor had one of those. It was extremely unstable! I would never get higher than the second or third rung without someone holding from the side!
Ditto on holding the other side. DH and I always do that with ANY ladder when we go all the way up. Safety first!
Old 04-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
4" x 4" by 7' feet! When I first read the OP's post I was thinking the same thing... how could it be 4""?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #14

I inherited one from my father and I love it. Opened up and locked it is very stable. It takes up very little room in a cross over hold and is there when needed. I rarely use it but when I need a ladder it is good to have. I got it through a sad circumstance but now I wouldn't be with out it.
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote