Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Low point drain?

I have a blue pex line coming from FW tank. We de-winterized this weekend while at our first trip and I sanitized FW tank but found a leak while filling.

Could be the previous owner didn’t put the plug back in (if that’s the case, that’s an easy fix with a new plug or ball valve). Wanted to verify that’s what this could be and if this is the case I won’t blow up the FW tank filling it? Other reading has me concerned that this may be an overfill pipe, but considering it’s near the bottom of the FW tank, it seems unlikely.

If an air bubble gets in there will it “burp” itself when I run water through the pump?

TIA!
Attached Images

Grantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantley View Post
I have a blue pex line coming from FW tank. We de-winterized this weekend while at our first trip and I sanitized FW tank but found a leak while filling.

Could be the previous owner didn’t put the plug back in (if that’s the case, that’s an easy fix with a new plug or ball valve). Wanted to verify that’s what this could be and if this is the case I won’t blow up the FW tank filling it? Other reading has me concerned that this may be an overfill pipe, but considering it’s near the bottom of the FW tank, it seems unlikely.

If an air bubble gets in there will it “burp” itself when I run water through the pump?

TIA!
It would appear to be the drain for fresh water tank. Low point drains are placed into your water lines and generally hang down from the RV. These are commonly blue (cold) and red (hot) water lines. Some come with valves some with plugs, some with screw on caps.
Depending on the fill area some units have separate connections for filling the fresh water tank. On our RV we switch a valve to "tank" to fill then switch it back to "city" to use campground water.
If you can take a pic of the area were you hook up water. Also add a pic of underneath it may show the low point drains
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with hamm. That's a tank drain, not the low point drains for winterizing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #4

From picture it looks like it is coming from the botttom of that tank so it would be tank drain and needs a plug in end of line....better yet would be a shutoff valve.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Found a 1/2” cap and threaded it on. Felt like it should have been there anyway. Slightly alarmed when it got the pad under it wet when I wasn’t expecting it. Will look at a valve on Amazon in near future.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantley View Post
Thanks guys. Found a 1/2” cap and threaded it on. Felt like it should have been there anyway. Slightly alarmed when it got the pad under it wet when I wasn’t expecting it. Will look at a valve on Amazon in near future.

Most hardware/plumbing stores will have a 1/2 plastic ball valve to fit. I did this on my last trailer that had the cap on the line.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...lve/1000339557
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote