Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Posting this for ajbjrvers...admin move not working right...

ajbjrvers
"Newmar Owner's Forum Member"
Picture of ajbjrvers

Posted September 23, 2006 09:10 PM
To; AII DIESEL PUSHER OWNERS,

I didn't know the appropriate place to put this info so I'm posting it here hoping an administrator?? will put it in proper place.

I had a phone conversation with a customer service rep at Cummins yesterday re; the new low sulphur fuel that will be in the pumps by mid October with only 15 ppm sulphur, the current fuel has 500 ppm sulphur. The new fuel CAN be used in pre 2007 engines without harm. The current fuel CANNOT be used in the 07 engines.

The qquestion I now have is; If the 500 ppm fuel has caused polution problems over the years and our engines could have preformed well on 15ppm, " Why did they not make the 15ppm fuel long ago???

Don't know if the 15 is going to cost more, but no choices.

==== AIME==== AJBJRVERS=== Program

2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher, floor plan #4097, 400 hp. Cummins ISL, Allison 3060 6 speed tranny.,200 amp. alternator on engine.
Equipped for serious boondocking; 3,000 watt Pro-sine inverter/charger, 3 ,120 watt solar panels, 8 Interstate U2500 high capacity batteries with 1,100 amp. hours reserve. I have front A/C and Heat pump and refrige connected thru inverter to use when driving and when parked.. Chassis; Spartan Mountain Master GT
Newmar Kountry Klub # 10693, FMCA # 167759, Good Sam # 031491061, PassportAmerica # C-197532 === 2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan, Blue Ox tow set-up and Aventa II tow bar..... Brake Buddy.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Posting this for ajbjrvers...admin move not working right...

ajbjrvers
"Newmar Owner's Forum Member"
Picture of ajbjrvers

Posted September 23, 2006 09:10 PM
To; AII DIESEL PUSHER OWNERS,

I didn't know the appropriate place to put this info so I'm posting it here hoping an administrator?? will put it in proper place.

I had a phone conversation with a customer service rep at Cummins yesterday re; the new low sulphur fuel that will be in the pumps by mid October with only 15 ppm sulphur, the current fuel has 500 ppm sulphur. The new fuel CAN be used in pre 2007 engines without harm. The current fuel CANNOT be used in the 07 engines.

The qquestion I now have is; If the 500 ppm fuel has caused polution problems over the years and our engines could have preformed well on 15ppm, " Why did they not make the 15ppm fuel long ago???

Don't know if the 15 is going to cost more, but no choices.

==== AIME==== AJBJRVERS=== Program

2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher, floor plan #4097, 400 hp. Cummins ISL, Allison 3060 6 speed tranny.,200 amp. alternator on engine.
Equipped for serious boondocking; 3,000 watt Pro-sine inverter/charger, 3 ,120 watt solar panels, 8 Interstate U2500 high capacity batteries with 1,100 amp. hours reserve. I have front A/C and Heat pump and refrige connected thru inverter to use when driving and when parked.. Chassis; Spartan Mountain Master GT
Newmar Kountry Klub # 10693, FMCA # 167759, Good Sam # 031491061, PassportAmerica # C-197532 === 2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan, Blue Ox tow set-up and Aventa II tow bar..... Brake Buddy.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
The 15 ppm (ULSD) is required to reduce particulates in order to keep from fouling and plugging the particulate traps that will be pretty much universal on the engines built after 1/1/07. Additional refining is required to bring sulfur down to 15 ppm versus the 500 ppm of the LSD we've been using. Unfortunately, this additional refining also removes more aromatics that provide lubricity to fuel system components. ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) has developed a lubricity standard for the ULSD, and the refiners are supposed to be incorporating additives to bring lubricity up to the ASTM standard. Will there be lubrication-related fuel system problems? Time will ultimately tell. Some diesel owners are taking a proactive approach by adding a quart of ashless 2-cycle engine oil at every fillup.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Rusty, do you know the ratio mixture of the ashless 2-cycle engine oil to diesel? How many gallons is a quart good for? My 150 gallon tank may need more than the diesel pickup trucks.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:46 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Cummins allows up to 5% engine oil - they market a system for their Class 8 applications that drains off a bit of engine oil and mixes it with the fuel. The make-up oil added to the engine sweetens the additive package and extends drain intervals.

Most of the people I've heard using the ashless 2-cycle oil in the Dodge/Cummins are using 1 quart per fill-up. At, let's say, 30 gallons of diesel per fill-up, that would be 1 quart per 30 x 4 = 120 quarts, or slightly less than a 1% ratio of ashless 2-cycle oil to diesel fuel.

Rusty
Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Rusty.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
sounds to me like it could get expensive after awhile, with a 100 gallon diesel tank and 8mpg.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Perhaps, but cheaper than injection pumps for us users whose pumps are fuel-lubricated. Most of those who are using ashless 2-cycle oil are using Wal-Mart's off-the-shelf brand since it should be fine for this purpose. It's not necessary to use high-dollar 2 stroke motorcycle racing oil.

Again, time will tell if there are any lubricity-related problems with ULSD or not. The people who are adding ashless 2-cycle oil just consider it good insurance until we all gain some experience with ULSD.

Rusty
Old 09-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I wonder how the manufacturers warrenty will view pump failures due to low sulphur fuels ???

Old 09-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
If the pump failed, how could it be determined if the LSD caused it or if it failed due to defective material or workmanship?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Good question drum roll please

Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Richard,

Two potential problems they'll be looking for:

1. Leaks - the reduction in aromatic constituents may result in seal/gasket drying, hardening and/or shrinkage. Cummins has a bulletin out to its service centers warning that some transfer (lift) pumps may start showing leakage when run with ULSD due to gasket material incompatability.

2. Lubricity-related problems - these will likely show up as abnormal wear, galling, etc. If the material properties are to spec (i.e., hardness, surface finish, etc.), then the manufacturers are probably going to blame the fuel.

The fact is, however, that ULSD is apparently here to stay, so the fuel injection system manufacturers are going to have to design their components to live with it. This probably won't be as much of a problem with the newer equipment that was designed for ULSD as it will for the older stuff out in the marketplace.

Rusty
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You can bet the ULSD will cost more - estimates are 5-15 cents/gallon. The refineries are already crying and saying they can't produce enough of both grades of fuel. The only station I have seen that already carried ULSD had it priced 15 cents higher than regular diesel, though I expect that will come down a bit as competition heats up.

Few stations will offer both, simply because they don't have tanks and pumps for multiple grades of diesel. It will be "one size fits all", which means in the short term ULSD may be hard to find and in the long term all diesel users will be buying ULSD, whether their engine needs it or not. Pretty much the same scenario as when unleaded regular gas was mandated, for those old enough to remember that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #14

This answers most any questions. S15(ULSD)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote