Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

low voltage

when hooked to shore power at home I have low voltage running through the frame of my rv. This is not a problem at a rv park .
apfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Check that the ground and neutral are not reversed.

That is real common, but it does mean the the coach ground is no good.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

What is your set up at home....standard 120V 15/20A outlet, 30A outlet, 50A outlet?

You have 'lost' grounding via the extension cord, adapter or plug

And as suggested.check the outlet you are plugged into for proper ground/neutral
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #4

30amp hook up, I'll pick a new ground rod and try that I'll keep you posted thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You appear to have two problems.
1. There is a short somewhere in the RV wiring that is leaking voltage to the frame (chassis)
2. Your have no ground wire connection between coach and that outlet at home. The ground connector would safely dispose of that stray current in the coach chassis, but that just avoids you getting a shock (or worse). The short to ground in the RV still needs to be found and fixed.

Every outlet in a house should have a ground terminal and be safely connected to the ground bus in the hosue load center (breaker panel). The only exception would be houses over about 60 years old that were wired before there were such things. You might want to check that outlet for a broken wire, and maybe the entire house for a working ground system. It's your life that it is trying to protect!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

I'll bet you do not have a Progressive Surge protector. If you did you would probably find it would not energize when you plug it in at home because you have a house wiring problem. They are worth every penny you pay for them.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, you have (most likely) an open ground..

IN electronics we have a device called a Voltage Divider.. In a DC system this is always a pair of resistors.. Like this.

Batt===/\/\/\---x---/\/\/\/---Ground
The voltage at X is a function of the battery voltage, and the two resistors (/\/\/\//)

IN an AC-System you can make one like that or you can use two capacitors...

Hot------!!----x----!!-----Neutral

The !! ios a capacitr, two metal plates separated by an insulator

In an RV however we have a 3-plate capacitor LIke this ---!!!----
The plate in the center... GROUND

Where is this 3 plate capaciive divider located....

ROMEX CABLE.. The The hot is on one side Neutral on the other and Ground in the middle.. And that's where your low voltage comes from .
Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #8

Frank thanks that was the first place I check and that's why not sure where to go next.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #9

It's not unusual to have some leakage in an RV. That is why plugging into a GFI protected circuit is often a problem. In your case it sounds like a grounding problem at the house end.

The change Gary is referring to was adding the third hole to the socket and splitting ground and neutral. Before that we just twisted ground and neutral together an stuck them in the common bus bar. Neutral has always ended up connected to ground. That is the way the system works.Before I added a ground rod I would check the socket wiring. That is unless you know there is a grounding problem at the service entrance.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

Thank you all problem solved had open ground on my sub panel put in new ground rod to the sub panel good to go.

THANK YOU ALL
Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #11

Is your sub-panel in the same building as your service? If so, it should have a 4 wire cable from the service panel and the ground system must be tied together. Driving a separate ground rod as the only grounding method for the sub-panel creates a dangerous situation and a shock hazard. If you have the sub-panel in an out building the panel can be connected as a sub-panel or a bonded service.
Yes, you can get a shock from ground to ground if the only grounding is a driven ground rod because of the soil resistance between the two panels.
Jim18655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

The bonding of neutral and ground is a complicated topic but generally should not occur anywhere in an RV (exceptions apply). Installing a separately derived ground (additional ground rod) is an even more complicated topic and you will get much bad information on both topics on this forum.

You can search Google and get better info than you will here.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #13

40 years as an electrician and electrical instructor. I'll put my knowledge of grounding and bonding up against anyone, including electrical engineers. Stand-alone ground rods as the sole method is dangerous!
The problem with google is people will search the web until they find an opinion that agrees with what they want to do and call it quits and good enough.
Jim18655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #14

If a ground rod or any other ground fixed it, there is still a ground fault in the RV.

Ground does not carry current, correct ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote