Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #1

LP Grill Adapter

I have a small gas grill that uses the small bottles. I'm wanting to hook up a hose with a shut off valve and pressure valve from my motorhome tank to the grill. Anyone ever do this?
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought about doing this but I didn't really want to mess with the LP system of the motor home and it would have required some creative plumbing which I was not comfortable doing. I decided the best course of action was to buy a 5lb LP refillable bottle from CW and use that instead of the disposables. I bought a six foot hose also. I can use the original regulator that came with the grill, the only caveat is that these new hoses and bottles have some sort of auto shutoff that stops flow if you open the valve too quickly.
The 5lb bottle lasts a long time, at least through the season before I have to have it refilled.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

yes, keep in mind the gas coming from your RV is regulated. So it needs to direct connect to the grill, without a regulator inline. So you therefore cannot use an adapter to plug the RV into where the small gas can went,,, as that is regulated. You have to remove the gas can connection, and plumb to match up with the RV hose connection straight to the grill. Double regulators will not flow gas.

Also, when buying the quick connect fittings, watch, there are 2 styles. The difference is very small. If you mix the styles, gas will not flow... I went crazy last summer trying to figure this out as I made the connection but didn't have gas flow. Eventually figured out that the fittings are slightly different, they plug in, but don't open the valve in the female fitting.

Once all that is sorted out, very glad I did it. Easy to setup, less to carry, and only one gas tank to keep full.

L.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

They make a tee that goes between the chassis mounted tank and RV regulator. It is available in most camping supply stores.

With that, you get a hose that goes to the BBQ grill. The proper hose has the same thread as the small bottle threads.

Stop in a RV store, tell them what your doing, and get what you need.

If you were using a grill that used a large tank, the fitting would be the same with a different hose and end.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Thank you all for the quick replies. I will stop by camping world and see if I can find the t and hose!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

Agree with other posts--have carried little green bottles for years--not fun but doable. Didn't like the idea of carrying yet another propane tank so decided to try "plumbing" main RV tank after buying the "camp fire in a can." For most RVs, CW has a "Extended Stay/Stay-a-while" connection [$80-90] that allows you to tap into the high pressure side of your RV tank. Thought it was too expensive so I "expertly" cobbled my own plumbing with both ACME nut and manual shut-off valve. In retrospect, it would have been easier to go with the off the self solution.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

With the T hose solution,,,, you need to cook near where the tank is. Our coach tank is driver side, away from where I wanted to cook. Also, we already had a connection to low pressure on the awning side.

L.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

My tank is in a good location passenger side so the t hose is a good option. I'm looking at home depot but may just get the kit from cw
Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I thought about doing that, but I decided against it. There have been a few times where it was not convenient to have the BBQ near the MH. Unmovable tables, wind etc., and having a connection to the MH would not allow me to place it in a more advantageous position. I didn't want to be restricted by the length of the hose. I carry a 25# bottle and it lasts me about two years.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

I have done it and like it! My hose is 25 feet so I have lots of options on where I set up to cook or anything else that needs propane. It IS the high pressure side just remember that.
Some Walmarts carry them. CW for sure but almost any propane sup[ply store has them and usually a bit cheaper from KNOWLEDGEABLE people that sell them! My fitting and hose assembly cost me 125.00 Canadian dollars so about somewhere around 85 bucks US .
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #11

I have the same as buzz57 (but I paid way less, about $60 Cdn, sorry buzz).

Keep in mind that if you want to take the hose off to stow while driving, it will be full of liquid propane and will dribble dangerously cold (and flammable) propane that will turn to gas right away. Ask me how I know!

You should burn off what's in the hose before removing. A single burner will burn for 5-10 minutes!

Of course, to burn what's in the hose you have to shut your main tank valve. So don't forget to reopen and check your fridge. Ask me how I know!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #12

buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LP Tee

I did the same thing and when we upgraded to a newer RV, took it with me. We then upgraded to a new BBQ (NXR) with its own regulator and it works great from the same fitting. BTW the reason for the NXR was 20,000BTU . Once you have a higher BTU BBQ you get spoiled.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #14

I had that on a motorhome we had and although it was convienient, it was also a hassle. Had to re-plumb the LP line to take into account the low pressure coming from the RV, and the line required me to get a small table to put near the side of the RV.

New Winnie doesn't have this feature, so had to re-plumb it back to run from a separate LP tank. Bought a 5# tank as some have noted and now I can run my grill anywhere when camping.

This is the method I would recommend for anyone - much simpler and 5# tank should last all season.
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada