RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #1

Smile Lug nut torque for travel trailer?

Ill be driving cross-country in August (WA -> NH), and want to be well-prepared in case I have a blowout on the road. My rig's a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff Microlite (a dually) towed by a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8.

I want the wheels to be on there tight enough for safety, but not so tight that a road service repair person can't get them off. (I have Escapees Roadside Assistance membership, in case that's relevant.)

Can someone advise? (This will be my third trip w the TT, which I understand is a major undertaking for a newbie. It's necessary due to household relocation.)

BTW, I'm planning to buy and have installed a tire pressure monitoring system.

Thanks so much in advance.

Madeline

NOMADeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

It depends mostly on wheel material and stud size. Flange is generally conical for typical travel trailers. Here's a table shamelessly linked from etrailer:

csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

For just about all trailers using 3/4 or 13/16 , socket sized lug nuts , 100 ft/lbs is the wheel nut torque .

Calling your dual axle trailer; a dually ; had me scratching my head for a second, I do remember some HUGE 5ers that rode on 8 tires ( dual axles with dual wheels ) so that picture popped into my head.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about the road side assistance guys. Most 22.5" RV and truck wheels are torqued in excess of 400 ftlb and they can get those off in the blink of an eye.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #5

how many have seen tire changers use torque wrench.. ???? or do they have the sophisticated air wrenches like nascar??
Old 06-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

Tandem axle, not a dually. Trailer tires get torqued to 100 ft/lbs 3/4 or 13/16 socket) and your jeep gets torqued to 130ft/lbs and 22mm
Old 06-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
For just about all trailers using 3/4 or 13/16 , socket sized lug nuts , 100 ft/lbs is the wheel nut torque .

Calling your dual axle trailer; a dually ; had me scratching my head for a second, I do remember some HUGE 5ers that rode on 8 tires ( dual axles with dual wheels ) so that picture popped into my head.
Skip, Can't remember the model, but Teton Homes was the manufacturer.
I'd hate to buy new tires for those trailers!
Old 06-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
PKI

The 1/2"-20 TPI lugs on our 23 torque to 110 ft-lbs. That is on an aluminum wheel. Check them at 50 miles, 100 miles, 200 miles, and 500 miles. Then check them every 1000 miles.

Check the tire cold pressure each morning and look for damage, odd wear, bumps and/or cracks on the tires. At each stop, check tire temp (a laser temperature gun works best) - try Harbor Freight and look for a sale.

Also at just before leaving and at each stop, do a walk around and check for loose wires, correct position of chains, emergency breakaway cable, awning, windows, vents, water connection caps ...... Make sure the tongue jack, stabilizers, chocks, blocks ...... are stowed and secured. Verify all pins are installed and locked with keepers in place. Run with your lights on.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The 1/2"-20 TPI lugs on our 23 torque to 110 ft-lbs. That is on an aluminum wheel. Check them at 50 miles, 100 miles, 200 miles, and 500 miles. Then check them every 1000 miles.

Check the tire cold pressure each morning and look for damage, odd wear, bumps and/or cracks on the tires. At each stop, check tire temp (a laser temperature gun works best) - try Harbor Freight and look for a sale.

Also at just before leaving and at each stop, do a walk around and check for loose wires, correct position of chains, emergency breakaway cable, awning, windows, vents, water connection caps ...... Make sure the tongue jack, stabilizers, chocks, blocks ...... are stowed and secured. Verify all pins are installed and locked with keepers in place. Run with your lights on.

Good luck with your trip. Pat

I'm going to add a comment to that part of the reply. There have been a number of reports of tampering occurring at rest areas to trailers or towed vehicle connections. Pins pulled, connections disconnected, etc. I generally don't leave my RV at a rest area unattended, but my last action before driving off is a habit I developed from 45 years in aviation, WALK AROUND. I circle around the entire vehicle and take a last look at everything.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
PKI

Convinced the root cause of such stories is either the vibration of travel or a forgetful process, but missing retainers, a broken wire, or a tire bulge can really make for a bad day. The only way to stay safe is to inspect. Never assume. If you question for any reason - check.

So, Yes, thanks for the "walk around" recommendation. Have a standard list of checks to make as you circle and look also for anything that looks different from normal. And include on your list, anything that takes a special look to verify, like a hidden pin or latch. I add things that I have forgotten in the past, as well.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #11

Cool Torque those lugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
how many have seen tire changers use torque wrench.. ???? or do they have the sophisticated air wrenches like nascar??

Any reputable, quality, tire shop will always use a torque wrench after they finish with their air wrenches. I always ask if going into someplace for the first time and if they say no i walk out the door. It just takes a couple of minutes to properly torque down all of your lug nuts. I carry a Torque wrench and use it to check my lugs before and after any trip.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have bought and had installed many tires on different vehicles/trailers at America's Tire.

They always use a torque wrench for the final tightening. Every car I see them working on. Every time on my stuff.

What you don't want is some monkey with a impact wrench turned all the way up full force to the point the lug nut will be stripped. Good luck getting those off.

Roadside service guys have the tools and knowledge to get even the tightest lug nuts off.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #13

RTFM! Your manuals should give you the answer.

Mine states specific increments when changing wheels with the final torque to be 120 ft/lbs. I check the air pressure and torque ahead of every trip.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #14

Smile Thanks so much!

Please accept my belated thanks, everyone who took the time to research and post. Life threw me a curve ball recently, so I couldn't get online.

I appreciate the helpfulness and expertise of the members of this online group. What an amazing and wonderful resource!

I'm going to take your advice and count on the mobile repair folks (via my Escapees road service plan) to have the proper equipment. One less thing to worry about!

Here's hoping you and your loved ones and safe and well.
Madeline

NOMADeline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer