Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Magnet Size for Mounting Sunshade INSIDE Windshield?

I have seen a couple older posts about mounting sunshades with N52 or N42 magnets, but most are exterior shades with permanent magnets mounted on the inside the windshield and in pockets in the sunshade itself. I have made a sunshade to fit the INSIDE of our Class A windshield and now looking for help on the strength of magnets I should use for the sunshade pockets as well as for the interior mounted magnets. There will be no glass/windshield between the shade's magnets and the mounting magnets. I don't want to crush my fingers putting up or removing the screen! Yet, the material is heavy. My industrial strength stick-on Velcro melted in the heat and made a big mess when the weight of the shade pulled it all down. Has anyone done this, and if so what size magnets would be appropriate? (Please be as specific as possible as to strength, size and shape.) Any other hints on this would be helpful, like adhesive to mount the permanent magnets! Also, if anyone knows where to get images "printed" on the SunTex (90% sunblock) fabric I used, that would be helpful as well.

Happy RVing! Thank you.
Dale40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale40 View Post
I have seen a couple older posts about mounting sunshades with N52 or N42 magnets, but most are exterior shades with permanent magnets mounted on the inside the windshield and in pockets in the sunshade itself. I have made a sunshade to fit the INSIDE of our Class A windshield and now looking for help on the strength of magnets I should use for the sunshade pockets as well as for the interior mounted magnets. There will be no glass/windshield between the shade's magnets and the mounting magnets. I don't want to crush my fingers putting up or removing the screen! Yet, the material is heavy. My industrial strength stick-on Velcro melted in the heat and made a big mess when the weight of the shade pulled it all down. Has anyone done this, and if so what size magnets would be appropriate? (Please be as specific as possible as to strength, size and shape.) Any other hints on this would be helpful, like adhesive to mount the permanent magnets! Also, if anyone knows where to get images "printed" on the SunTex (90% sunblock) fabric I used, that would be helpful as well.

Happy RVing! Thank you.
I am guessing you have thought this through and don't want on the outside...The only issue I have had with the outside was the front shade blew off in very heavy wind. I wasn't there either and I was lucky to have found it. I corrected by putting a bungy cord(s) along the front bottom.

All that being said, to answer your question - I don't see why mounting the front shade on the inside wouldn't work. There is a bit of overlap on the edges to consider and then the fact of how you would mount the shade...remembering the magnets are only attracted North to South(front to back), so make sure you plan how you want the shade facing on the inside.

The other consideration are the sides...my side windows are not square and neither are the shades so left is left and right is right. Putting them on the inside may require careful thought before attaching magnets...did I say the 3M material to attach is almost permanent? The magnets where their big boy pants too...They will pinch the crap out of you...and it makes for some seriously laughing out of ones self when you and your helper are getting whopped up by something a fraction of your size. Hope that helps some.

The other thing I will say(as I am sure you are aware), most of my challenge is not allowing the window glass to heat up, thus bring that heat inside the coach. It makes a world of difference putting on the outside and taking most of this heat out of the equation.

Let us know how you proceed and of your findings.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I just use a piece of Reflectix foil insulation inside the windshield. Noticed you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Sorry but I can't help with magnet type or size. However, I do know that blocking the sun after it gets inside the motorhome is not anywhere near as effective as blocking it before it gets in.

I have pull down shades in my current motorhome and they do provide good privacy but do almost nothing to help keep the motorhome cool. I intend to purchase a sun screen that attaches to the outside of the motorhome with turn buttons before heading south for the winter. The inside screens ain't gonna' cut it.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
To block the sun, I used a Magna Shade on the outside. On the inside I had 3M Crystalline film added. It was expensive, but it sure helps with the summer sun when driving.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:26 AM   #6

I use the Magna Shade and love it. You can always get on the Magna Shade website and maybe see what size they are and get the magnets from them. They are pretty strong and stick to the inside of the windshield and should hold the shade you made.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield