Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #1

Magnum MS2812 problems

My Magnum MS2812 is giving me problems with pass through AC power. I did have the coach generator on and was running two oil heaters and two heat lights on extension cords and no issues for several hours. In the morning I saw no AC power and the generator was putting out 0 amps. My ME-ARC50 was showing a red fault and was non functional. Fast forward it blew the 300 amp fuse between the generator and inverter, and kicked the 30 amp circuit breaker on the inverter. Guessing I overloaded the passthrough AC power in the inverter. Replaced the fuse , resat the breaker and still nothing from the inverter. Resat the inverter several times and the inverter AC power came on but still no passthrough power I wire nutted the input and output 120 lines and shore power and generator power works fine. Pulled the inverter and pulled the cover thinking it was a bad 30 amp breaker but that tests good. purchased this MS2812 10/13/17 so a few months off my 3 year warranty. Calling Magnum today maybe they can walk me through some diagnostics.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
My Magnum MS2812 is giving me problems with pass through AC power. I did have the coach generator on and was running two oil heaters and two heat lights on extension cords and no issues for several hours. In the morning I saw no AC power and the generator was putting out 0 amps. My ME-ARC50 was showing a red fault and was non functional. Fast forward it blew the 300 amp fuse between the generator and inverter, and kicked the 30 amp circuit breaker on the inverter. Guessing I overloaded the passthrough AC power in the inverter. Replaced the fuse , resat the breaker and still nothing from the inverter. Resat the inverter several times and the inverter AC power came on but still no passthrough power I wire nutted the input and output 120 lines and shore power and generator power works fine. Pulled the inverter and pulled the cover thinking it was a bad 30 amp breaker but that tests good. purchased this MS2812 10/13/17 so a few months off my 3 year warranty. Calling Magnum today maybe they can walk me through some diagnostics.
There is a large fuss found near the Battery Bank on most units 300-400 amp. Checkit also.
Tom in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #3

checked fuse with ohm meter it is good.
Called Magnum, looks like AC board is bad
Old 02-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #4

My Magnum MS2812 is giving me problems with pass through AC power. I did have the coach generator on and was running two oil heaters and two heat lights on extension cords and no issues for several hours.

As you noted, this is a heavy load for a 30 amp system and an overload for a 23 amp system.
Heater 1 13 amps
Heater 2 13
Lamp 1 5?
Lamp 2 5?
Other loads ?
Total 36 amps

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...rger-ms-series
MS2812 (MS2812-G, MS2812-U)
Output Power 2,800W
Peak Watts 3,900W
Output Voltage 120 VAC
Inverting:
Output Current 23.3 amps
Pass through:
60 Amp transfer service (30 amps on each leg?)

In the morning I saw no AC power and the generator was putting out 0 amps. My ME-ARC50 was showing a red fault and was non functional. Fast forward it blew the 300 amp fuse between the generator and inverter, and kicked the 30 amp circuit breaker on the inverter.

The 300 amp fuse was probably a 12 volt DC fuse from the battery to the inverter. It is highly unlikely any circuits in the RV can handle 300 amps at 120 volts.

Guessing I overloaded the passthrough AC power in the inverter. Replaced the fuse , resat the breaker and still nothing from the inverter. Resat the inverter several times and the inverter AC power came on but still no passthrough power I wire nutted the input and output 120 lines and shore power and generator power works fine. Pulled the inverter and pulled the cover thinking it was a bad 30 amp breaker but that tests good. purchased this MS2812 10/13/17 so a few months off my 3 year warranty.

Is generator a 30 amp 120 volt unit?
Possible results:
Overloaded generator tripped its 30 amp 120 volt circuit breaker.
Inverter kicked in to replace the generator power.
Overloaded inverter should have tripped either input 12 volt or output 120 volt fuses and breakers.
I agree, fuses and circuit breakers should have protected the system.

I recommend you reduce loads a little when running the generator for heat.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like the company responded quickly. There is a great youtube on them if you are interested.

On mine I found the feed wire off one of the breakers had melted off. We full time and use the microwave non stop so the continuous workout probably caused the thing to melt the solder.

2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #6

UPDATE..................
I pulled the Magnum unit and took it to a repair shop recommended by Magnum. The positive output 120 would tone out as being grounded. After dioganistics the shop called and said they could find no issues with the unit, no ground issues and everything was preforming as should be.
Best we can figure is the pass through and ground relays both were stuck closed due to overloading, and removal and jarring in transport knocked them loose. Reinstalled and all works fine. I am going to rewire the fireplace heater so it does not pass through the inverter, and be a bit more cautious of my loads. Originally did not realize all but my AC units and washer/dryer passed through my inverter. And yes I had turned off the charger when I fired up the generator at the loss of power.

Tags
ems, problem, problems