Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Maiden voyage to Texas

I have driven cross country before in a car and always left in the middle of the night due to no traffic and less heat, never taken a motor-home, and our maiden voyage will be to Texas at the end of this month.

My question will the same hold true, I have some concerns about ease of getting into and out of gas stations, being in our old class A it will be much more frequent.

So is there any advice you can provide us with, that will make our maiden voyage easier and more pleasant?

We would of course had preferred to have take her out a couple times as a shake down cruise, but work and life got in the way so because of that this will be the first we have taken in our 83 Pace Arrow, because life just happens.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #2

I take an extra 10 gallons of fuel with me in cans just in case.

I Prefer to travel at night due to reduced heat and traffic. I think you will find that you do just fine negotiating your stops as long as you keep in mind how much a motorhome tail swings as your making turns. Just slow down, take your time and employ a spotter if necessary.

Have fun!
Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If your traveling to Texas you will definitely benefit from traveling at night due to the heat. The forecast for Austin thru the week is 100-104F.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Great advice, in addition I would suggest you check possible fuel stops along your route before you leave. Flying Js usually have an RV island.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Naw, you wont have no trouble. Just take your time, read the signs on the side of the road and keep your eyes open. Its a cake walk, believe me. When you do get to Texas, you will wonder what you were worried about.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Look for fuel stations where the pumps are parallel to the road and not pointed toward the front of the convenience store. It's too easy to get trapped if you have to pull in towards the store (though maybe that's not much of a problem late at night). In any case, make sure you can see how you are going to get out before you pull in.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, I would love to carry extra gas, but have no where to store it. Cant store in the the RV or in the basement, and even if I bought one of those hitch baskets it could easeily disappear, so I am open to all ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRotica View Post
I take an extra 10 gallons of fuel with me in cans just in case.

I Prefer to travel at night due to reduced heat and traffic. I think you will find that you do just fine negotiating your stops as long as you keep in mind how much a motorhome tail swings as your making turns. Just slow down, take your time and employ a spotter if necessary.

Have fun!
Chris
Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Indeed, but being I live near and work in Palm Spring that will seems as if it was a cool down, It has topped 114 with high humidity over the last 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
If your traveling to Texas you will definitely benefit from traveling at night due to the heat. The forecast for Austin thru the week is 100-104F.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

You will do just fine. Do check for fuel stops along your route. It took me about 2 hours to get comfortable with my Allegro and now I don't worry about getting into anywhere. We just got back from the Washington coast with 3 hours of 2 lane winding roads and very windy. Coach handled great and after awhile I was able to relax. The drive down was not as bad because of no traffic and no winds.

Take your time and relax.
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Gary said plus I start looking for a gas station at about 1/2 tank. I sometimes get off the freeway two or three times before I find one I am comfortable with being able to get out of.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What part of TX are you going to?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Proctor Lake between Brownsville and Comanche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
What part of TX are you going to?
J
Old 07-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I would suggest you also plan on stopping at rest areas sooner than you would if driving your car. I find that when driving the MH, I work a little more at handling & being very aware of my soroundings. Not saying that driving the MH is difficult, it justs take a little more out of you, even though it is very confortable. We usually stop about once every 1 1/2 hours or less. Get out and walk around a little. We take about 15-20 mins at each stop.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #14

Not saying its legal or a good idea but I carry extra fuel in one of my bays... If you are not doing this make sure you are not getting caught in a position where you cant get fuel. If an area looks BAD I will drive past and go down the road knowing I have more fuel on board. Started doing this immediately after the 9/11 deal and stations were running out of fuel. An extra 10 gallons is nearly 100 miles closer to home, my destination, or a fuel station that still has gas for sale.

The best thing to help you keep awake while driving is by eating. Peanuts, pretzles, raisins, sunflower seeds. Something small and only take 1 of them in your fingers to your mouth at a time.

One other thing I do when I am driving long distances in the motorhome is to stand up and stretch while driving every now and again. With the cruise on and my legs on either side of the seat I can stand up and see under the upper cabinets. I might only be standing for 20 or 30 seconds or so but I find it makes a huge difference for me. I am 6'2" so I imagine most folks should be able to do this. It helps keep me refreshed.

Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas