Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2023, 05:57 AM   #1

Mail for 2 months?

For those who are full-timers there are mail forwarding locations, and for short camping trips the Post Office will hold mail for up to 30 days. But what do people do for medium length trips of, say, 45-60 days? It is too long for the Post Office and seems too short to change al of your mail to one of the mail forwarding businesses, and then have to change it back when you return.

I have been thinking about spending a couple of months next Winter in someplace that is both warm and near the ocean, but have no idea what I would do with my mail for that length of time.

Most of what I get is junk mail, but it sill accumulates and will overflow my mailbox quickly enough, and there are some utilities around here that do not allow auto-pay so their bills are important.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2023, 06:53 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Mail for 2 months?

Setup an account at a mail forwarding service. Then do a temporary forwarding order thru USPS from your residence to the mail service.

The temp forwarding order will expire when you say, and then mail resumes arriving back at your permanent residence.

You have the mail forward service ship all the mail that got sent while away, back to your home, and it’s done.

P.S. the mail forwarding services will just junk the coupons, advertising flyers, etc so you don’t pay to have them sent back to you!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:12 AM   #3
Community Moderator

One of my neighors picks up the mail and checks the house while we are gone.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:36 AM   #4

Although the post office mail delivery stop yellow card indicates mail cannot be held longer than 30 days, they routinely hold our mail for 2 -3 months while we are gone. Never had a problem. We return and I can catch up with my junk mail.
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:42 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post
Although the post office mail delivery stop yellow card indicates mail cannot be held longer than 30 days, they routinely hold our mail for 2 -3 months while we are gone. Never had a problem. We return and I can catch up with my junk mail.

Same at our small town Post Office.
largo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:48 AM   #6

We asked the PO what if I made out two cards and they said to just put the dates on the one card.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:22 AM   #7
Community Moderator

The problem with just having mail held for 2 months, is what happens when a jury summons, or other very time sensitive item shows up?

The benefit of having it temporarily forwarded to a mail service, is the mail services send emails every time mail arrives, and give you the option to have it scanned electronically so you can view it over the internet.

The jury summons arrived for my spouse, and by having it opened and scanned we could see the dates, and contact the county to get excused since we were a long ways away.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #8

We have talked to Post Office and they work very well with additional time over the 30 days. We are also in a very rural community so that prolly helps.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Often a smaller rural post office can be flexible, but these days mail stops or forwards are often handled by a regional sorting facility and the local PO never gets involved if you simply fill out the online form and send in a paper one.

The simplest solution is temporary forwarding, e.g. to a friend or neighbor, or possibly to your winter location if they will accept mail for you. You can also forward to General Delivery at whichever post office near your location accepts GD. Usually only one PO in a city does General Delivery, so verify before setting it up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #10

We have a neighbor pick up our mail every 2-3 days. We have a bird that has to be fed every few days so the same person does both. We also use the Post Office Informed Delivery system (https://www.usps.com/manage/informed-delivery.htm) so we can see the exterior of our mail every day. If we see one of those rare important pieces of mail, we call and ask our neighbor to open it or forward it to us.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Another thought if you have the mail delivered to a mailbox at your house. Install a mailbox, that drops the mail into a chamber and is retrieved through a locked rear door, like an actual old blue mailbox on the corner. Many have them made out of brick or stone.

I would do above at my home, but we're forced to use "gang" mailboxes at the end of the street.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post
Pretty much same here. We have been gone as long as nearly 5 months this way. Have done it like this for years. Helps that we’ve befriended our carrier, great person, gets a bit of a tip at Christmas. Same for the predecessor and the one before that.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #13

Thank you all for the information. I did not know that the PO might hold mail longer than 30 days. But I still have a question. The suggestions that I use a temp forwarding to send the mail to a mailbox service - for how long can a temp forwarding be valid?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:48 PM   #14

The easiest is to have a friend, neighbor, relative pick up the mail every 2-3 days. If you're expecting something important have them send it to General Delivery at a 'small' town you'll be near. Don't pick a large city post office. Nightmares can happen. 45-60 days isn't long so you might not even need anything sent to you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote