Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Maintenance - Dangerous/Serious Deceit

The following is a letter I wrote in March,2021 ...

To whom it may concern

I am writing as to what I believe is a serious service problem.

Due to the fact the majority of large motor home owners do not have any idea what is required to keep the monster running properly and "Safely" I keep a close watch on mine and boy was I fooled. I have a 40 ft Diesel that requires an oil and chassis lubrication every 15000 miles or once a a year. I have been dealing with the same place for 5 years (About 3 years ago they were sold to another group. (Not Camping World) I had my oil changed along with oil filter, 2 fuel filters and lube. Cost $418.00. Drove coach home and parked it in its house. Brought coach out March 1 to prep for 10,000 mile trip. Looked under the front end, grease on steering only. Looked further back no grease on any fittings (Absolutely dry). I then checked the slack adjuster on the air brakes - Dry, if these points cannot move and adjust slack in air brakes, you suddenly have no brakes!

I called the service dept. and talked to a manager, regarding is anyone checking the differential for fullness of lube. Answer no we don't do that unless asked for. I then asked about the "lube" stated on the bill. I was told management decided several years ago to only do a "Front" lube, but not to mention that on the bill. This deceit is going to coast someone their life, so this dealer can save $10.00 of grease.

This particular Florida service facility/dealership services 25-30 coaches per day at this location. Most of whom have their units serviced here because they think it is being serviced correctly, and have no idea what is being skipped to make more money.

Friendly reminder ask questions regarding what is included with your service and what is being done.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #2

The prior owner of my RV found out the same...

Paid annually for lube and service... then the driveshaft fell out causing thousands in damages...

In 10 years it was never looked at, or lubed...

My guess is thats standard operating procedure...

You should hope that the filters and oil WERE actually changed...

Half the stuff the PO was billed for was NEVER done:

1) Skylight replaced? Nope, just some caulk on the crack
2) Entire roof recaulked? Nope, just a couple tiny area's
3) Kwikee step motor replaced? Nope, looked ancient

The list goes on and on...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #3

If chassis is up on lift and every zerk easily takes grease probably about 5 minutes and about .75 of grease. The diff can be tough to check if plugs are rusted bad. I would want owner to agree to extra time to remove or take a pass if proves a real problem.
It is poor service practice and they are not even looking if there's an extra issue at rear half. I would rather pay more than be left with belief that my coach is serviced properly. Yes could prove dangerous and possible liability issue.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

The prior owner of my RV found out the same...

Paid annually for lube and service... then the driveshaft fell out causing thousands in damages...

In 10 years it was never looked at, or lubed...

My guess is thats standard operating procedure...

You should hope that the filters and oil WERE actually changed...

Half the stuff the PO was billed for was NEVER done:

1) Skylight replaced? Nope, just some caulk on the crack
2) Entire roof recaulked? Nope, just a couple tiny area's
3) Kwikee step motor replaced? Nope, looked ancient

The list goes on and on...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Member recently reported about 10-13K worth of damage from a unmaintained U-joint on his DP!
Old 07-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #6

And how about something as simple as putting valve stem caps back on, easy to get to, "must require a lot of effort to screw one one". These same folks want to service your engine!
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #7

If you can't fix 'em yourself then owning 'em can be problematic. Good help is hard to find.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #8

You know,.....
I'm 54 now, and when I was in my teens and early 20's I performed thousands of repairs and service work on customers and friends cars.

My advice, is to make a relationship with the person actually repairing/servicing your vehicle. Not the service writer or counter person, but the actually mechanic/technician.

When we did a Lube, Oil and Filter job, we did check differential, transmission, power steering and coolant fluids. If they needed some, we added. If we found an issue, we would call the customer first.

If that meant we had to pull the vehicle off of the rack, and put it back on to show the customer later that day,....we did so. With that said, we did not service DPs, but we did a number of Class-A and C's.

How did we find out what to lube? Hmmm.... We open a thing called a service book, or better yet we looked with our eyes for zerk fittings.

Now, with all of that said, I was taught by an old-timer. Cutting corners, and cheating the customer was anathema to him. (Don't think most today get that experience.)
Most of the guys I worked with in my later 20's, cut corners, did 1/2 butt jobs, and generally did a "good-enough' job with the matching attitude. In all my years servicing vehicles, there have only been three mechanics that I'd trust to fix my cars. Only one of them was good enough to diagnosis computer related problems. He later went to work for Dinan BMW.

In the end, double check the work performed by any shop. Ask to see the old parts removed, date your filters with a Sharpie, and always get a written estimate. It's old advice. You've heard it many times before.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

When we had our bus, I took it into a semi truck shop for its' annual service/inspection. I paid a couple of hundred extra to have it DOT inspected/maintained to the same standard as the OTR rigs. We are in a rural area and maybe semi shops in the city won't do motorhomes but our local shops were more than happy to service them.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #10

As a 14 year old, I worked at a gas station where I was taught how to "fake" adding oil to a customers car at the fuel pump. That was probably the best lesson I ever learned. Now in my 70's, I still trust nobody to maintain/change my fluids and continue to do it myself!!

Think about it.....
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:23 AM   #11

All service places are like this now. If you buy a used car/truck and the salesman tells you they fully serviced it, think again. They rest the oil change reminder and passed it on to you. The ONLY way to know something is done right is to do it yourself.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I agree with MTcamper. If you have a DP, using a shop that services semis will ensure the job is done right. There is a lot of paperwork on semi maintenance and the mechanic is liable if something goes wrong.

My mechanic had to testify in one case where the truck he had worked on caused an accident. Had to provide all the paperwork to prove the work was done and to specifications.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #13

I had all my engine/chassis work done by truck shops in Orlando (JOSAM and Cummins). I specifically asked what they lubricated and then took the time to at least sample inspect all the lube points to ensure they showed evidence of recent work (lube points and diff bolt cleaned off). Even with pros it’s trust but verify.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #14

I'm fortunate that I can keep my RV at home under a pole barn on a concrete slab. I made living ramps with lengths of 2x12 so I can scoot under on a creeper. Some items I have had serviced at shops but I check myself also. When I found an independent RV service place in PCB that "missed" some zerks, I left a review and talked with the owner. His answer was not satisfactory to me so I won't go back. I used an independent truck shop for oil/fluid changes on the DP mainly because of the volume of oil to handle and disposal. I made sure filters were marked with sharpies with date and hours. Otherwise I try to do what maintenance myself because I know it's performed correctly. I also record all work preformed.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance