Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Maintenance: Finding a balance between winter use and winterizing

We currently have a 2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS on special order. It will probably arrive to our property around the end of October.

The location is the foothills to the Sierra Nevada at around 2,000' elevation. It is completely off-grid. Historically speaking it'll get down to the high 20's at night and warms up to the mid 30's during the day maybe a dozen days a year. The rest of the time the temp is over 35 degrees. We might see a dusting of snow once or twice a year.

We intend to use the trailer a couple weekends a month all year long. I'd like to get some guidance on how to still use the trailer during the winter without the risk of damage from not winterizing it (if possible).

One thought I have is set the furnace to the lowest setting possible and leave it on. The trailer will be connected to a 250 gal. propane tank so I'll have plenty of propane to burn.

Please share your thoughts as I try to work through this and find a suitable solution.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

Leaving the furnace on is your best bet. It takes several hours with temperatures below 30° for enough to freeze to cause any problems but a little heat could prevent some significant problems.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #3

20° on the outside does not mean it is freezing on the inside. I use a indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outdoor sensor in the water bay, to monitor the two. An incandescent light bulb (if you can plug in) can help keep the temp above 32°F. Using the furnace can help also.
Good Luck
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #4

"Completely off grid" often means 120 volt AC heater are not a possible solution.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

Do you have solar or wind power available? If so how much? Generator power?
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #6

How much battery capacity will you have? If you do have enough, I would use the 12V tank heaters that are attached to your holding tanks to keep the tanks from freezing. Your propane furnace will need a 12V source also so, you will need some way of recharging your battery or batteries. This can be done with a generator and or several solar panels that will recharge the battery/batteries.

I would leave the kitchen sink and bathroom sink cabinets open to promote warm air flow to these areas. Also I believe that with the heater running this will provide heated air to the basement, at least on my Creek it does.

You may want to use the DSI feature of the water heater, using the propane to heat the hot water tank. This will provide heat in the wet bay area for water lines in this area also.

Just a suggestion.

Tags
maintenance, winter