Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #43

When I bought my 2017 Keystone Cougar a friend of mine gave me a website that showed actual Dealer Costs for specific units. With my unit the Dealer Cost was 55% off of the MSRP of the unit. Than the website suggested that you had 10% to the Dealer Cost for an offer. For my unit the MSRP was $63,250 x .55% = $34,788. Than added 10% for a total of $38,266. Gave him an offer rounded to $39,000 (they were asking $44,500). They excepted my offer of $39,000. Gave website to 3 other friends the past 2 yrs. and they were all happy with their purchases based on this process! Wished I had still had the website to give to you, but the numbers haven't changed the last two years.
HDTripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTripod View Post
When I bought my 2017 Keystone Cougar a friend of mine gave me a website that showed actual Dealer Costs for specific units. With my unit the Dealer Cost was 55% off of the MSRP of the unit. Than the website suggested that you had 10% to the Dealer Cost for an offer. For my unit the MSRP was $63,250 x .55% = $34,788. Than added 10% for a total of $38,266. Gave him an offer rounded to $39,000 (they were asking $44,500). They excepted my offer of $39,000. Gave website to 3 other friends the past 2 yrs. and they were all happy with their purchases based on this process! Wished I had still had the website to give to you, but the numbers haven't changed the last two years.

https://seedealercost.com/recreational-vehicles/
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #45

For used, I also use:

https://www.nadaguidesstore.com/Type/Online-Access

You can get a 30 day trial subscription. I've paid for three values from David Lesters site, and they all matched the NADA values above. Much cheaper than paying for individual appraisals. My pricing goal is the wholesale, no options added price. I've also had my credit union evaluate units, and their values matched the NADA guide above to the dollar. Most banks will lend on the retail price listed.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #46

Never Trust a Dealer!

Please, don't be a victim! Sticker prices are generally marked up 40%! RV's are too expensive and depreciate like a falling rock after you buy. Take your time and research.
dbridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Under water

Note that no matter what you pay, more than likely when you drive or tow the unit off the lot, you will be underwater for 1-2 years!
Old 09-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Just one comment, in case it hasn’t been mentioned. Dealers are more willing to work with you if
1- you have your financing lined up
2- it’s end of month, always want make the numbers look good for the month
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I learned a long time ago when it comes to negotiations on buying things. Hit them right off the bat with a low ball offer. They will be insulted of course, but will come back somewhere closer to where you want to be. In the end, if you cant come to an agreement, walk away. You are holding the money, you call the shots. You are trying to get a good deal, not make a life long friend. Its their job to get as much out of you as they can. Its your job to pay as little as you can. Its just the name of the game. No one takes it personal.
That is my method also. I calculate how much difference we are willing to pay. My counter-offer is that difference, they can price my trade-in at whatever they wish, same for their unit for sale, i will only pay the difference I quoted. This removes all the sales-peoples tactics.
Of course I've already decided to walk away if they try the running back N forth trick.
It's not like that is the only one of that make/model ever sold.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #50

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
All good advice above. Bottom line...be ready to walk away.
We actually priced our rig at 5 different dealers and got a good price at one (28% off msrp) that the others could not come close to matching. So it was worth the 600 mile trip to get it.
As i have posted before, I’m all about buying local....within reason. Our local dealership here in Kentucky was $10,000 higher than what i found online at Colerain rv in Cincinnati. So i drove the 4 hrs there and back 2x (one to purchase and a week later to pickup unit). We are very happy with the purchase and extremely happy saving the 10k
BDLnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do what I do

I never show up at a dealership to negotiate. It gives the dealer too much of an advantage. I go online and negotiate and don't show up until we have an agreement, including for the trade-in if there is one. If they don't want to keep the deal I just walk away. They get just one chance. There are many other dealers who want to make some money and remove an RV from their lot. I want the deal to be fair for both of us but I do not want to renegotiate an agreement we made. It doesn't matter if it's a car or RV or something else similar. I purchased my Entegra from NIRVC when they were located in Stone Mountain, GA. We reached an agreement while I was traveling and it was a week or two before I got there. They kept the deal we made, prepped the coach properly, were great to work with, and everything was good. As a result I would not hesitate to buy another coach from NIRVC.

My first coach was a Forest River B+. I had an offer from a local Camping World store and a somewhat better offer from another dealer who wasn't close by. The coaches were identical except the better offer included an inverter. I asked Camping World to add an inverter at no charge (the cost was about $100) and told them I would pay their slightly higher cost for the coach. They refused, I left, and purchased from the other dealer.

Don't be afraid to negotiate online. Face to face means some pressure, online means none. And don't be afraid to get in the weeds if necessary. I purchased a 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid from a dealer in Maryland while I was wintering in Arizona before heading east. The started the nickle and dime routine when I got there but when I started walking away they very quickly changed their mind. Unfortunately the car was a dog. Major electrical issues (everything on a hybrid is electrical). After limping on for a year I asked Ford to take it back and give me another car. When they were done laughing they said no. I asked the BBB for binding arbitration and left the negotiations with a 2019. Be bold, stick to your guns, be fair but firm, and use the internet.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #52

An epilogue to our part of this story.

I wrote to the salesman at Lazy Days asking merely if there was any room left to negotiate or at the least, help us with the accessories we'd need for a new trailer. Got no reply. Not a peep.

So, last week we bought a 2 year old similar 5th wheel from a private party. Probably saved $15K over the new, although we did give up a couple desired features. We're happy.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #53

Smart move Skippy

Salesman ignore the question, is there more wiggle room.

They want an offer. A firm offer.

He in no way saw you as a serious potential sales deal after that question.

In my oinion.

You have to make an offer.

Then be prepared to walk

Or write a check
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:47 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
I decide what I am willing to pay and do not budge one cent.

An RV is a luxury, not a necessity. They know that, they also know there is a limited number of people who can afford an RV, and of that number a limited number of people who want an RV.

When purchasing a luxury item it is always a buyers market.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

What it boils down to is that if your offer really is "reasonable", it will be accepted. Of course, the dealer's notion of "reasonable" may be different than yours, so you make the offer and do as HJLowell says: either walk or write the check.

If your reasonable offer was arrived at by solid market research and comparison shopping, it should be on-target and stands a good chance of being accepted. If it was derived by applying some arbitrary discount vs the asking price, your chances are slim and protracted haggling likely unless you walk immediately.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
An epilogue to our part of this story.

I wrote to the salesman at Lazy Days asking merely if there was any room left to negotiate or at the least, help us with the accessories we'd need for a new trailer. Got no reply. Not a peep.

So, last week we bought a 2 year old similar 5th wheel from a private party. Probably saved $15K over the new, although we did give up a couple desired features. We're happy.
Congratulations Skippy. I'm glad you guys were able to find a used RV that you are happy with. If you found a used unit that will meet your needs, then buying used is (almost) always the BEST deal given the depreciation that these things see in the first 5 years.

When you made your original post. I threw in my 2 cents with a "non expert" comment that the dealer was making a very fair deal on the original offer. I based this opinion on the observation that the selling price was about a 38% discount. It's likely that this unit was being advertised at a larger than usual discounted price to draw business into their dealership. And from what several posters said, no other dealers we even close to this price. It's likely that the dealer didn't answer your inquiry about additional "wiggle" room because they were at their bottom dollar sales price.

I've been following this thread with a bit of amusement. A LOT of the responses to this thread make it appear that this forum is filled with RV buying experts who know the exact price to offer....................
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, offer