Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Making portable generator quieter

Being a camp host Im always sensitive to generator noise bothering my neighbors...
Even tho I use a Honda 2200 which is about as quiet as they come, Id heard about the adapters with hose placed in a bucket of water that supposedly makes a portable generator even more suppressed.

(Boat with inboard/outboard with exhaust in the water to cut noises as an example)

Installed the kit on my Honda, but honestly the cost doesnt reflect the results :(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC520D09-AEB3-4EEA-A75C-B6215564C355.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	327069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE6006BF-56A8-477F-90DC-F11B5813A591.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	327070  

dave6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible to put an external muffler on that model?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #3

If you get yours quieter what about all the others in the campground?
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

How much does that effect the back pressure on the engine?
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6152 View Post
Being a camp host Im always sensitive to generator noise bothering my neighbors...
Even tho I use a Honda 2200 which is about as quiet as they come, Id heard about the adapters with hose placed in a bucket of water that supposedly makes a portable generator even more suppressed.

(Boat with inboard/outboard with exhaust in the water to cut noises as an example)

Installed the kit on my Honda, but honestly the cost doesnt reflect the results :(

Are you saying the results were not that big of a difference noise-wise? Most of what I've read is the exhaust on these small motors is not the major source of noise. I don't know if that is factual or not -- just what I've read.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:13 AM   #6

I'm with Nwcid in that I'd be very concerned about the back pressure. A long tube liberally drilled out would be much safer.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #7

Hear tell most of the noise in these generators is more like the rushing air from the cooling. There is an exhaust note in there. As to putting the exhaust underwater, the issue with your implementation may be the high flexibility of the container radiating the noise back out, perhaps if you put the water in a less flexible container thereby making sure the vibrations are not radiated out by flexing walls. The other factor may be the size of the opening that allows the air bubbling out of the water back out of the container.

Might try to place that water bottle in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water, just enough to keep the bottle from floating, make an opening in the bottle to let gasses out easily and when you have the 5 gallon bucket make sure there are ample holes in the lid to let the gasses out as well.

Adding a baffle box which insulates the generator noise may provide you with an enhanced result, just make sure the air flow is as unimpeded as possible to keep the generator cool! You can use cardboard and foam boards to design and test it, later substituting the cardboard with ply. With proper fasteners or dowel type joints it could be made such that it knocks down into flat panels!

Would like to hear how the 5gallon bucket improves the current sound signature of the exhaust!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #8

When the increased back pressure on the exhaust kills your generator, it will be very quiet indeed.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #9

These Honda generators are about as quiet as they come without any homemade modifications. No one should complain when you run one. If you get complainers I'd suggest you go to the closest dollar store and buy a supply of cheap ear plugs and hand them out to the whiners.
When we camp without full hook ups I run one of my Honda 2000's for a couple hours each morning to recharge my batteries. I normally wait until after 8 AM before starting the generator.
I have only had one person complain about me starting the generator in the morning. This was a person who was camped some distance away from us who had his dog tied up outside and the dog barked all night long. When I asked him if he was cranky because his barking mutt kept him awake all night he finally walked away. I won't disclose what I said or how I said it.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #10

Letmgrow:..... On a lighter note. The dog was not the problem it was the snoring spouse right next to em!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I set mine, barely inside one of those collapsable round garbage cans. Leaving the exhaust to the free air and the can facing in the opposite direction.

The noise reduction is noticeable. I got real fancy once and spend days building an enclosure with very little improvement.

Just setting the generator behind a tree with the exhaust going the other direction helps along with a long extension cord.

Of course this does not help neighbors.

The sound is mostly the intake as it is on my Onan 8000 diesel. Spent tons of hours trying to make it quieter. Found the intake air is the main factor.

Found the main source of noise from the ceiling Air conditioners is the intake air too.

I built an experimental box to change the direction of the air intake to the Onan and that had a huge impact. Some sort of intake muffler would do the trick but I am not an engineer.

My generator is on a slide so keeping the (muffler ) in place was not practical.

While boondocking I found that hanging tarp or better still, moving blankets along the edge of the RV on the passenger side (if that was where we sat outside), and across the front made a huge difference as well.

So I am following to see if there are any new great ideas to steal. This subject has been beat to death but there may be that one idea out there!!
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #12

There is little one can do to further reduce noise over what the factory has already done. Most of the noise is mechanical engine noise not exhaust.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Keep in mind as something cools, a vacuum is created (such as when you turn off the generator or it runs out of fuel). In this case it is possible that the vacuum could suck water into the exhaust port and then into the cylinder. I would at minimum poke a very small hole at the top of the hose to prevent that from possibly occurring. ~Craig
Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #14

i build a box out of insulation board, the type they make hvac ducting out of, its about 1/2 thick. i used 5 pieces and some steel rods at the corners with a spacer to hold the board up about 2" so it would get cooling air. it worked fairly well and quite a noticeable sound reduction. i have since went to a different gen and sold it with the old gen.
Jay d.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, quiet