Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mandatory highway weigh stations - which states for RVs?

Another post got me thinking: in which states (and provinces) would an RV be mandated to be weighed at the roadside like commercial vehicles? Any links to print out regulations?

Our RV is a diesel pusher.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #2

Those stations are for commercial vehicles only. However, that doesn't mean you can't get pulled over and weighed if an officer believes you are overloaded or out of balance. It's always best to know your weight and distribution.
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We've never been in a state that requires private vehicles to stop at the weigh stations, although we haven't RV'd in all 50 states.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #4

re: "However, that doesn't mean you can't get pulled over and weighed if an officer believes"

do you know of any case where this has actually happened? do you know of any state traffic laws that set weights for RV's?

I know there are weight issues in regards to driver's licenses but I haven't heard of anything other than maybe 'safe weight' for non commercial in regards to RV's

And to those with knee jerk problems, I am not talking about severe abusive overloading and I am talking about careful reading of statutes for what they say and not what you think it might.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
laj

I would love to see any state/federal statute stated that was in existence. What i have read on every post that had to do with weight was an opinion with no legal reference that one could go to and read for themselves. Commercial yes, private/rv no
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

In the last year or so there were reports in several forums of California DOT stopping both motorhomes and 5th wheels and weighing them.

Ohio has installed scales at Ohio turnpike toll entrances and turning away any motorhome over 20,000 on the drive axle. I believe a motorhome with a tag axle has a max of 34,000. PA is currently installing scales for the PA turnpike. I don't believe they are writing tickets but refusing entrance.

I don't believe any state requires RV's to cross the DOT scales.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Ohio has installed scales at Ohio turnpike toll entrances and turning away any motorhome over 20,000 on the drive axle. I believe a motorhome with a tag axle has a max of 34,000. PA is currently installing scales for the PA turnpike. I don't believe they are writing tickets but refusing entrance.

I don't believe any state requires RV's to cross the DOT scales.
We've had our coach through 34 states and never been directed into a scale of any sort nor have we ever heard of anyone being pulled over and weighed.

We traveled the Pa Turnpike last July and didn't encounter any scales... just a $48 toll!!! I had also been under the impression that weight on all vehicles was limited to 20,000 # per axle by federal law(?)

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
re: "However, that doesn't mean you can't get pulled over and weighed if an officer believes"

do you know of any case where this has actually happened? do you know of any state traffic laws that set weights for RV's?

I know there are weight issues in regards to driver's licenses but I haven't heard of anything other than maybe 'safe weight' for non commercial in regards to RV's

And to those with knee jerk problems, I am not talking about severe abusive overloading and I am talking about careful reading of statutes for what they say and not what you think it might.
ANY vehicle can be pulled and weighed. Even a motorcycle. If the weight is in excess of the data plate's GVWR you will get ticketed. I have personally seen truck TT combos getting weighed. My nephew is a NC State trooper, and he told me they look for the tow vehicle riding low in the rear as probable cause for weighing.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
ANY vehicle can be pulled and weighed. Even a motorcycle. If the weight is in excess of the data plate's GVWR you will get ticketed. I have personally seen truck TT combos getting weighed. My nephew is a NC State trooper, and he told me they look for the tow vehicle riding low in the rear as probable cause for weighing.
Great! Then it should be no problem for you to get, and quote the state statute # so that we all can read it for ourselves. I will be anxiously waiting to read this, as this will provide for a physical answer.
Thanks,
Laj
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

In Ontario the highway Traffic reads:
Examination of vehicle
(2) Every police officer and every officer appointed for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act may require the driver of any motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle to stop, move the vehicle to a safe location as directed by the police officer or officer and submit the vehicle, together with its equipment and any vehicle drawn by it, to the examinations and tests that the police officer or officer may consider expedient. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 14.

118. (1) Subject to section 110, no vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be operated on a Class A Highway where the gross vehicle weight exceeds,
(a) the axle unit weight on the front axle, not exceeding the maximum weight permitted on the axle under section 116, plus the sum of the maximum allowable weights for all other axle units of the vehicle or combination of vehicles as set out in section 116;
(b) the axle unit weight on the front axle, not exceeding the maximum weight permitted on the axle under section 116, plus the sum of the maximum allowable weights for any two axle groups, three axle groups or four axle groups, or any combination thereof, as set out in section 117, plus the maximum allowable weight for any axle unit or units excluding the front axle and excluding any axle unit or units which are part of an axle group, as set out in section 116; or
(c) that weight prescribed in the regulations. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 118; 2000, c. 26, Sched. O, s. 11 (1).
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
...We traveled the Pa Turnpike last July and didn't encounter any scales... just a $48 toll!!! ...
If you were traveling on the Mainline PA Turnpike and/or Northeast extension, oh, yes, you were weighed- each axle when you went through the toll booth getting on. They have to because your toll is determined by your weight class and not the number of axles. A vehicle that weighs 10,000 pounds with only two axles will pay the same toll as one with four axles.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never known (or heard any stories of) the turnpike using your weight for anything other than determining your toll charge.

On sections of the PA Turnpike other than the Mainline and Northeast extension, the toll charges are determined by using either (weight) class, or the number of axles.

Click on the link below for the PA Turnpike's toll calculator and have fun figuring out your toll. They even add to the excitement by having two different toll charges- one for those paying with cash and another, cheaper rate, for those who use E-ZPass.

Pennsylvania Turnpike Preferred Traveler
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We've had our coach through 34 states and never been directed into a scale of any sort nor have we ever heard of anyone being pulled over and weighed.

We traveled the Pa Turnpike last July and didn't encounter any scales... just a $48 toll!!! I had also been under the impression that weight on all vehicles was limited to 20,000 # per axle by federal law(?)

Rick
Rick you can save a bit on tolls with an EZPass. Some turnpikes give bigger discounts than others and some don't give any. I know that last year on a RT from OH to IL I saved over $20.

I just applied for a new transponder from Mass as they don't charge a monthly $1 fee based on their on-line info.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Rick you can save a bit on tolls with an EZPass. Some turnpikes give bigger discounts than others and some don't give any. .
Thanks Tireman but it was our first trip on that road and based upon the cost and the horrible condition of the road we won't be repeating that trip.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Great! Then it should be no problem for you to get, and quote the state statute # so that we all can read it for ourselves. I will be anxiously waiting to read this, as this will provide for a physical answer.
Thanks,
Laj
Ignorance of the law never get's you out of a ticket. Always err on the side of caution.

Here is Illinois rule... I'm not looking up the other 49 states for you.

(625 ILCS 5/15‑111) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 15‑111)
Sec. 15‑111. Wheel and axle loads and gross weights.
(a) On non‑designated highways, no vehicle or combination of vehicles equipped with pneumatic tires may be operated, unladen or with load, when the total weight transmitted to the road surface exceeds 20,000 pounds on a single axle or 34,000 pounds on a tandem axle with no axle within the tandem exceeding 20,000 pounds.