Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Mattress

Hey all..I'm in the market for a new mattress for our camper. Got a few in mind,but would appreciate any imput !
Mikeyk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Check on latex.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

I just added a 4" memory foam mattress topper. I love it. It is a lot more comfortable than my s & b mattress. It was also a lot less expensive than a whole new mattress.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is the exact size as a normal Queen so we went to a mattress store bounced around for a while until we found the one we liked, did a little negotiation for price, got a good deal, they delivered set it in the MH and took the old one away. The only requirement we had to meet was the thickness of the mattress so it would go under the slide but ten inches was plenty to deal with. Also the new mattress is thicker so lifting to get to under bed storage is more difficult. But I lift, wife hunts or stores.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Measure the one you already have.
Go to a mattress store.
Check out and try out every type they have. Really lay on them for at least 5 mins if not more to feel how they feel to you.
Remember just because someone else likes one type of mattress does not mean that you will.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Mattress basics if you're used to coil it may take time to adjust to latex and memory foam mattresses. Gen

OK I typed a long post and it got deleted I may post again later
Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

Abbreviated version of previous post.

Try each type. Physiotherapy assoc. notes that it is the quality of the support and not the firmness, a cheap firm is worst then a moderate soft. Mattress needs to fill in and coddle the natural curvature of the spine not just hold it. Otherwise plywood beds would be ideal and inexpensive. This is also why beds wear out, as they lose their ability to provide support. A mattress topper can extend comfort and life by filling in and providing support, however once the foundation is gone the support is gone. Think about parking RV in mud vs level pad, gravel good, concrete and paved better.

Traditional coil, more coils, tighter, thicker gauge better. Look for mattresses with reinforced edges, unless slide requires a flexible mattress. Pocket coils good for squirmers. A thick euro or pillow top adds comfort, however rvs may limit thickness.

Consider the following two upgrades.

Memory foam and latex foam. Denser foam = more support, different layers used controls comfort as different foams have different properties. These are a far cry away from the older style cheap foam bunkie mattresses with inexpensive foam. Leading mattresses includes tempurpedic and Serta I comfort, there are clones. Look for made in Canada, usa and europe , as a general rule cheaper offshore may off gas and be inconsistent in firmness within the same model. Allow the rolled up and compressed for shipping type to expand and settle before use, if not used to style allow time to adjust before giving up. One more caveat foam mattresses tend to sleep hotter look for one with cooling beads, infused cooling gel or cooling layers. One benefit for former linebackers or those who are over 200lbs foam offers by far the longest support life, I've found for me a similar priced high quality foam goes 2 or 3 times that of coil. I'm broad shouldered, taller, not Eric cartmenesque in physic so don't know how to comment on those.

Look up sleep number for air as I haven't had and cannot comment.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We were considering replacing our 2 year old mattress.....It kind of riled me because I thought it was a decent one......Instead of forking over a lot of dough for a new I bought the memory foam topper from Costco.....figured I could return it if I didn't like it. Best money I spent....Very comfortable.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using Select Comfort Sleep Number mattresses in our home and RV for many years. We love them!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #10

, mattress insider.com. They have any size mattress you can want.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We've been using Select Comfort Sleep Number mattresses in our home and RV for many years. We love them!
X2- I agree.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
X2- I agree.
They are even better with a foam topper. Ever since I added one I never want to get up.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #13

Now just as a precaution I heard you need to deflate a sleep number when going up elevation, as well it may take a few nights adjusting your number to ideal comfort after you get one? Also the bladders are smaller on new ones?
Old 11-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
, mattress insider.com. They have any size mattress you can want.
got mine from Mattress Insider. queen size with gel foam topper. Very comfortable.
319DSF is offline   Reply With Quote