Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 07:17 AM   #1

Mattress

We are older RVers. Does anyone have any ideas for a comfortable mattress and or a topper? We all know the ones the put in aren't the best for sure! Thanks for any advice!
spotmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmorgan View Post
We are older RVers. Does anyone have any ideas for a comfortable mattress and or a topper? We all know the ones the put in aren't the best for sure! Thanks for any advice!
Depends on what you are putting it in. Creating a sig line helps with suggestions. Personally I prefer an RV with a residential size queen mattress. You can get one anyplace and have the sleeping comforts of home. BUT many RVs don't have that size bed so you have to settle. When looking at RVs to purchase that should be a consideration but apparently many people would rather have a shiny floor instead of real comfort.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #3

We went with a Costco Mattress, very comfortable and if you don't like it you can return it.
dbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

mattress

if you will be around eastern iowa i have a short queen used about 3 months i will give you. it was made in davenport.

pm me
Old 03-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmorgan View Post
What size are you looking for and what is this going in? We have a king size RV Tencel mattress in ours and we really like it. We used to have a sleep number in our last coach and that was okay but we did not like having to deal with air pumps, hoses and lowering the pressure every time we traveled.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #6

We put a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper on our bed, but had to cut it down due to the short RV bed. They cut easily with an electric knife. It made a world of difference. I've also had a custom mattress made from mattressinsider.com, and have to say I'm very pleased with it as well. Good service, and very comfortable.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend Sleep on Latex! They make mattresses and toppers of 100% natural latex. Consumer Reports rated their mattress #2, right below a $3000 competitor! I have bought their toppers and love them!

I would suggest that you create a signature showing the make and model of your RV. It will help folks to answer questions you may have in the future.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

We got a Sleep Number bed when we bought our Newmar. Didn't even know it was in there until the first night we used it. We liked it so much we bought one for the house. Easy to adjust to each persons individual needs and when the wife tosses and turns my half of the bed doesn't move so I get to stay asleep.

I've heard warnings to dial them down in the mountains but we've never had an issue with that.

We use a memory foam topper on it too. Separate toppers for each side of the bed.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Mattress comfort is a very personal thing - I would not let anybody else pick a mattress for me.

You need to determine the size you need, especially whether it is a standard size or one of the ones customized to fit some RV space, and then shop around for one that meets your comfort preference and budget. You shop at mattress stores and online vendors, not RV stores. Many place will build mattresses to custom sizes, so no worries if you have one of the RV oddballs. You can order online and it gets shipped to your home in a box too. The degree of firmness and support that will make you most comfortable is something only you can decide.

Our personal preference is for a hybrid type, foam over innerspring, but we've also enjoyed the air-adjustable type. We bought our most recent queen size from Brooklyn Bedding, and a previous air-type from Bear Beds.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #10

We spend the extra money and got the optional memory foam king mattress, So glad we did, sleep like a baby on it.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:29 AM   #11

We have a memory foam mattress in our TT and at home. We love them both.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:34 AM   #12

We have an unconventional setup. In the S&B, we had an adjustable mattress and found sleeping with our heads elevated stopped snoring and other issues. But its not practical in a motorhome.
I found a full length foam wedge on Amazon that goes from 8 inches at the head to 1 inch at the foot. We had a 3 inch topper from our previous RV and use that over the wedge. We have always used a water-proof matress pad/cover in case the pets get sick on the bed and find that we never have moisture issues under the mattress that many people report with foam mattresses.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress