Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #15

Thank you, to all, who responded. I'm a rule follower but have an adventurous spirit and am willing to take some risks.

Off I go!
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #16

Keep in mind that those risks could end up with you having no place to stay.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Keep in mind that those risks could end up with you having no place to stay.

[emoji849] tow vehicles vary in length more than double that amount.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Often times the length of the vehicle(s) in a campsite is limited by the access road rather than the length capacity of the site itself. I have seen sites in state campgrounds that would easily accommodate a 40 foot motorhome. However the road to them is windy and bordered so close with trees that it's difficult for a 30' motorhome to navigate them.

As previously mentioned it's best to call ahead and find out exactly why the campsite has a limited length.

Our new home away from home is kind of like this, you only come through the front entrance once with a fat tall rig like ours, after that you learn to come in the side entrance. The front entrance has a booth in the middle and overhanging trees on both sides, it takes some maneuvering to get through with minimal limb contact. The Forest Service has several campgrounds in the area that supposedly have 24 ft limits and I see 40 footers in them, but some of them must have backed the coach in from the exit, there is no way they went around some of the turns between the entrance and their site.

I now always check a site with Google Earth before we book now, the wife booked us in a state park in the middle of summer and the campground was brand new, including the trees. Biggest tree in the whole campground was about 12 foot tall, 100 degree plus and not a bit of shade. Google Earth helps me avoid rude surprises, the definition is usually good enough I can spot problems ahead of booking, the street view feature can be useful sometimes too.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Our new home away from home is kind of like this, you only come through the front entrance once with a fat tall rig like ours, after that you learn to come in the side entrance. The front entrance has a booth in the middle and overhanging trees on both sides, it takes some maneuvering to get through with minimal limb contact. The Forest Service has several campgrounds in the area that supposedly have 24 ft limits and I see 40 footers in them, but some of them must have backed the coach in from the exit, there is no way they went around some of the turns between the entrance and their site.

I now always check a site with Google Earth before we book now, the wife booked us in a state park in the middle of summer and the campground was brand new, including the trees. Biggest tree in the whole campground was about 12 foot tall, 100 degree plus and not a bit of shade. Google Earth helps me avoid rude surprises, the definition is usually good enough I can spot problems ahead of booking, the street view feature can be useful sometimes too.
Are you finding that google earth lets you Zoom in close enough to figure out where actual campsites might be, or is it just giving you a general overview of the area?
Old 09-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #20

In addition to google satellite view, lots of popular national park campgrounds, as well as some state park campground have drive through videos on youtube where you can get a ground level view of things, the better ones are done int 360 VR
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #21

I find I can identify individual campsites and things that might obstruct the slides or awning. I find it useful in picking sites too, the wife doesn't like our bedroom too close to others so I try to find spots that we have good distance between it and other units. We had an experience where we were so close you almost couldn't walk between the back of our coach and the neighbors slide.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Are you finding that google earth lets you Zoom in close enough to figure out where actual campsites might be, or is it just giving you a general overview of the area?
I have found that I can not only see the campsites, but I can also see RV's in the sites when the Google Earth photo was taken. Remember, most of the Google Earth photos are taken during the late fall/winter when all leaves are gone from trees.

Here is a Google Earth screen shot of the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. You can actually zoom in much closer and in some instances actually see people walking around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ky Horse Park Campground.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	343519  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #23

Google Earth has measurement tools and at max zoom they are plenty accurate to see if you'll fit.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:45 PM   #24

Many campsite photos are also on these sites:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/

https://www.campgroundviews.com/

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...tate-park-8274
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Google Earth has measurement tools and at max zoom they are plenty accurate to see if you'll fit.
Now that’s a fabulous resource and would eliminate the risk factor. I played with Google Earth a bit but couldn’t find that level of control. Where is it found?

Also - I must be looking at heavily wooded campgrounds because I was not able to see the campground detail like the image that was attached in a previous post.

Last question - is there a difference between Google Earth and Google Maps satellite view?
Old 09-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Now that’s a fabulous resource and would eliminate the risk factor. I played with Google Earth a bit but couldn’t find that level of control. Where is it found?

Also - I must be looking at heavily wooded campgrounds because I was not able to see the campground detail like the image that was attached in a previous post.

Last question - is there a difference between Google Earth and Google Maps satellite view?
Here is a shot looking at a very heavily wooded campground for Canaan Valley State Resort Park in West Virginia. That is us in the picture. If you look close you can see the pull through sites and the back in sites.

There are several different ways you can measure using Google Earth. Look in Tools Tab. I was able to trace the entire outline of our farm property lines, and have it tell me the length of each line, and the total acreage inside the lines.

Google Earth can also go back in time! You can page back year after year seeing what the area looked like 5 years ago, or 10 or maybe even 15 years ago. The photos change from time to time as images are retaken every few years, and the image details get better and better as cameras improve.

Google Earth has more tools available then Google Maps has. I use Google Earth Pro, and its free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canaan Valley State Resort.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	343549  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #27

It's the ruler icon in the bar at the top. Also available but less-featured in google maps - you right click on the image and a pop-up allow access to the measurement tools.

Goggle maps doesn't have as much zoom or resolution as google earth.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Here is a shot looking at a very heavily wooded campground for Canaan Valley State Resort Park in West Virginia. That is us in the picture. If you look close you can see the pull through sites and the back in sites.

There are several different ways you can measure using Google Earth. Look in Tools Tab. I was able to trace the entire outline of our farm property lines, and have it tell me the length of each line, and the total acreage inside the lines.

Google Earth can also go back in time! You can page back year after year seeing what the area looked like 5 years ago, or 10 or maybe even 15 years ago. The photos change from time to time as images are retaken every few years, and the image details get better and better as cameras improve.

Google Earth has more tools available then Google Maps has. I use Google Earth Pro, and its free!
This is the sort of image I’m seeing on Google Earth when checking out the heavily wooded campgrounds I prefer. Looking at the image you sent (thank you!) I’m not seeing individual campsites, just the campsites road. I’m definitely not able to see awnings.

Is it my eyes or is there something I’m missing when I look at these Google Earth images?

I’d love to be able to go to a campground with the confidence that comes from knowing I’ve chosen wisely.

Tags
campground