Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #1

Someone...Please refresh my aged memory.

What is the legal maximum height for my fiver, or any RV, on the roads across the USA? I want to put a satellite dome on my high flat roof, but it will take me up to 13'1".

Will I be legal?
Would you worry about driving the roads of our great nation at that height?

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

Regards,
Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #2

Someone...Please refresh my aged memory.

What is the legal maximum height for my fiver, or any RV, on the roads across the USA? I want to put a satellite dome on my high flat roof, but it will take me up to 13'1".

Will I be legal?
Would you worry about driving the roads of our great nation at that height?

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

Regards,
Joe
Old 03-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think anything under 13'6" has to be marked, so 13'1" is getting on up there. We have seen a few places with clearances under 13'6". Check with your Dept of Highways.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #4

Across the nation, the law is standard at 13'6" maximum height. You will be legal, but you will NEED to get into the habit of looking up a long ways ahead.
Tom
Old 03-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #5

Look Up a long way ahead? Doesn't everyone do that? Maybe I could mount a remote camera on the roof for pulling into gas stations with low canopies.
13'6" is what I recalled. Pretty sure that's right.
Thanks Guys
Joe
Old 03-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there are any actual legal maximums for height, at least not nationally. However, some state's road systems may require permits for vehicles over a certain height. And each state plus the national highway systems has standards for marking overhead clearances, i.e. they will post a sign if the clearance is less than some amount. 13'6" used to be a common design point below which "low clearance" signs were mandatory, but in many places now it is as much as 15 feet.

The real concern is that you are always responsible for anything you hit overhead, no matter what your height. Might be a traffic light, an underpass, a power line, a gas station canopy or whatever, but you are responsible. If the thing struck was low enough and no warning sign was present, you might be able to successfully counter-sue that it was a hazard to the "normal flow of traffic" and a jury would get to decide if it was reasonable or not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MojaveJoe:
Look Up a long way ahead? Doesn't everyone do that? Maybe I could mount a remote camera on the roof for pulling into gas stations with low canopies.
13'6" is what I recalled. Pretty sure that's right.
Thanks Guys
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I only said that about looking up and far ahead so you wouldn't go somewhere you went before and not think about the extra hight. I guess since you figure I was being a smarta$$ you felt it was necessary to be quite sarcastic. Well, I really don't appreciate that. I was trying to be somewhat helpful. If you don't want any help then just ignore EVERYTHING I have typed. IF that is the case, then maybe I should not even bother to try to help.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
hey MnTom,
no big deal, but I didn't read him being a smart-guy at all, he just made a joke about his 'aged memory' right off the bat and then put in a rolling-eyes thing once someone mentioned keepin an eye 'way up there'. all was kinda good natured all the way around, and after your guys discussion I even started looking at underpass elevations around here and YES most are 13'6 or higher but I have one near my house that is 13'2. Its on a road rarely traveled except for the people who live up that dirt road but it got me thinking I should keep my eye on those little signs.
Us bike riders have a saying: 'Keep the rubber side down' well maybe Mojave with his new satellite dome has to 'keep his eye balls pointin' up' .
gentlemen,
rubber side down Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #9

MnTom..Apologies if my feeble attempt at humor was misunderstood, and caused you any distress. Looking back I can see how those smileys seem kinda sarcastic. However, that was not my intention.

I truly appreciate everyone's input on this and the other forums that I frequent. No matter how common knowledge one might think their's or another's advice might be, there is usually someone who will read their post and gain some important knowledge to use in the future.

Since that post of mine, I have considered putting a small wire or fake antenna on the driver's side front sidwewall of my fiver so I can look up when pulling under a station canopy and know for sure if Im low enough to pull through or if I should fuel up then back away from the pump/canopy.

FatDog....I measured a nearby old and badly damaged overhead train trestle near me that I would have to drive under several times a year. I didn't believe it was actually 13-11 like the old clearance sign said, especially with all those old bent girders and cracked concrete edges over the road. Well, turned out one corner was 3" lower than advertised, but still 8" over my new height. The other 3 corners were over 13-11. So I can now relax every time I drive under that trestle with the new dome dish up there, even if I raise my trailer 2" to level it with my truck.

Lesson Learned - If it's close, don't trust an old clearnace sign. New road surfacing could have reduced the clearance easily 2-3 inches or more.

Regards,
Joe
Old 03-31-2005, 06:04 PM   #10

UPDATE: 4/1/05, This website has a complete listing. I can't vouch for accuracy. http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

The majority of upscale 5er's list 13'2" to the top of the AC unit. This is about the same as a semi box trailer. I have a magnetic mount CB antenna on the roof of my Dodge truck that is 3" higher than my 5er's highest point. If I'm unsure of clearance, I ease up to the overhead object and if the antenna hits(the scraping noise is transmitted into the truck roof metal) I stop and investigate closely.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think anyone was being intentionaly rude or after anyone here. Sometimes a little humor is thrown in to lighten up the subject, not an attempt to make fun of anyone. Just try to think of how others will view a post and post accordingly.

Remember we are here to help folks enjoy RVing as much as we do.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote