Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
That surgery can it be put off till Late Fall?

I had the same diagnosis 10 years ago - told the Doc I'd wait till I had a spare 6 months - both arms now work well - can still play golf and do most other things...............10 years ago.

Unless you are in severe pain and very limited in your range of Motion I'd wait - possibly talk with a good physical therapist for good exercises to help out.

$.02 - JMHO,
From what the doctor who set the wife's right arm has told us and from what I've read, it's best to take care of a torn rotator cuff within 6 months in order for the repair to work out best. Trying to decide on another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on the repair option and the time schedule. Also, my problem, also the right arm, probably happened during one of my couple stumbling falls within the last 1-2 years so not even sure if it will be repairable.

Consequently, with all of this the sooner we can settle on a surgeon and get a repair done the better.

But right now trying to pick an experienced orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder, elbow, and wrist repair is the big holdup. Unable to find anyone with personal experience or even anyone who knows someone who has. All I can do is read all about them on the Internet, but wonder who wrote their resume, themselves or someone who really knows the surgeon.

The clinic I used 5 years ago for hip replacement has 16 surgeons, only 6 of which do shoulder and upper arm work. Of those, 2 are 65 or older but have over 35 years experience each, one is 33 years old but has only been practicing 2 years, and the other 3, age 35-49 are all involved in Sports Medicine one even being the local University team surgeon.
Keep wondering how rough an athetic sports surgeon would be on a couple of senior citizens not in the best physical condition after working on a bunch of tough hardened great condition football, basketball, or baseball players. Or would they be the ones with the most experience, and needing to know how to put joints back to the best working order.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #44

Not sure you would want to travel to Arlington, TX, but a Dr. Frank Rodriquez did my wife's hip replacement and my left rotator cuff. Would go back to him in a heartbeat if needed more of that type of surgery.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
From what the doctor who set the wife's right arm has told us and from what I've read, it's best to take care of a torn rotator cuff within 6 months in order for the repair to work out best. Trying to decide on another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on the repair option and the time schedule. Also, my problem, also the right arm, probably happened during one of my couple stumbling falls within the last 1-2 years so not even sure if it will be repairable.

Consequently, with all of this the sooner we can settle on a surgeon and get a repair done the better.

But right now trying to pick an experienced orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder, elbow, and wrist repair is the big holdup. Unable to find anyone with personal experience or even anyone who knows someone who has. All I can do is read all about them on the Internet, but wonder who wrote their resume, themselves or someone who really knows the surgeon.

The clinic I used 5 years ago for hip replacement has 16 surgeons, only 6 of which do shoulder and upper arm work. Of those, 2 are 65 or older but have over 35 years experience each, one is 33 years old but has only been practicing 2 years, and the other 3, age 35-49 are all involved in Sports Medicine one even being the local University team surgeon.

Keep wondering how rough an athletic sports surgeon would be on a couple of senior citizens not in the best physical condition after working on a bunch of tough hardened great condition football, basketball, or baseball players. Or would they be the ones with the most experience, and needing to know how to put joints back to the best working order.
Not much help on the recommendations in Oklahoma - One of my best friends is a Doc with two kids that are surgeons - so I get to some pretty good Doc's advice - as far as working on Athletes - they are usually the cream of the crop.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
Everything is dependent upon how badly it is torn, how long it has been torn and your ability to follow doctors orders.

Three years ago I had my left shoulder done arthroscopically and the surgeon had me in PT in 2 weeks and it took me up to 1 1/2 years to recover where I had any strength but was driving within a month.

This last spring I wrecked my right shoulder and tore up a bunch of ligaments and another bicep tendon. Had surgery June 25 and was driving my RV (with my Dr's ok) 3 weeks later for an event I was to attend. I did add a steering wheel spinner to the coach so I could handle it one handed and I did keep my repaired arm in the sling like a good boy! It was not a fun trip as I had to quit my meds in order to legally drive and was glad to reach my destination and go back to them!

Shoulder replacement surgery is a much quicker pain free timeframe than the repairs. By a huge margin!!

Good luck to you. Watch the meds they prescribe. I was on 2 pain killers and one of them made me suicidal. Tramadol is a bad med for many. I handled the Oxycodone much better but was on THAT one too long and had to fight the addiction effect.
I had a failed back surgery. I am allergic to Morphine, Oxycodone,Hydrocodone, etc... I can tolerate Tramadol. It works great for me. You are absolutely correct to caution about side effects, a med I tried for smoking cessation almost caused me to walk off a job over something insignificant... Gotta be careful!
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #47

Driving

I would recommend against driving while you still are in the immobilizer. I asked my Dr. if it was ok to drive. He would not give an answer but suggested I check with insurance and police. Seems like they consider it "driving impaired", not good for the record. Plus if there is an emergency situation you don't want to inadvertently make a sudden move that could tear things loose
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #48

How long or how many sessions of physical therapy will insurance usually cover for a repair, especially Medicare?

The wife has had 18 sessions in 2018 and 10 more so far in 2019 for her broken arm. Now if her torn rotator cuff repair will need lots of therapy, will there be a limit on how long that will be allowed. Or will the limit start over for each repair?
So far the current therapist has given no hint as to a limit.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #49

Last year's sessions won't count against this year's. For the best answer, call Medicare so you have no surprises.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
I would recommend against driving while you still are in the immobilizer. I asked my Dr. if it was ok to drive. He would not give an answer but suggested I check with insurance and police. Seems like they consider it "driving impaired", not good for the record. Plus if there is an emergency situation you don't want to inadvertently make a sudden move that could tear things loose

My PT told me you will be charged with "driving impaired" if caught when driving with your arm in an immobilizer . Just had the DW drive me to all my appointments .I did drive the old farm tractor around the yard.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #51

I had shoulder replacement surgery and was in a sling for 6 weeks. Couldn’t drive any during that time. After a week or two I was able to drive car ok. Wouldn’t have wanted trying to drive coach for awhile due to lack of strength. Took me 6 months to get most of my strength back.

What you can do depends on how good your surgeon is, how good your physical therapist is, and how dedicated you are in doing the rehab exercises required.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #52

Wagonmaster, I had my right RC repaired in May of 2012. I was 56 yrs. old. I waited way too long to get mine done I needed two anchors as it was torn that bad. (bullheaded Irishman) Lol. Anyway, I was back to work in 8 weeks. I am a millwright in a hydroelectric power plant. You just do the physical therapy and the range of motion exercises daily as prescribed and you will heal quickly. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt to constantly do them but you will heal quicker. I had a great physical therapist who pushed me constantly.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #53

Dan Ralston

I had rotator cuff surgery at age 64 in 2011. I did everything as the doctor instructed, went to physical therapy religiously and was back playing golf in 10 weeks. The doctor said I was an exception as recovery normally takes a little longer.
bogie dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #54

Rotator Cuffs

I've had both Rotator Cuffs done and after 6 weeks the Dr told me I could stretch them out and go on with my business. I used a Total Gym and had them both stretched out and ready to go within 3 days (each one). I swear by the Total Gym, believe me, it does not feel good when you first start to stretch them out but it works if you keep at it.
PriklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #55

I have a reverse shoulder replacement for my right shoulder scheduled for March 12. There is also a repair to my rotator cuff at the same time.
I also have a 2 month motorcycle trip planned starting June 1.
My doctor thinks I will be goid to go by then.
My two buddies that I will be travelling with have told me that if my bike takes a dirt nap they will pick it up for me..
That is a good thing as it is over 500 lbs.
Last March I had my left knee replaced and it is doing well.
I have a good range of motion and no pain but it still swells up at times.
Doing the exercises is very important for recovery.
The doctor told me that since I am 6ft t tall and 310 lbs that the knee could take some time to be completely happy.
Hope the shoulder heals fast.
Good luck with your surgery.
Follow the docs advise and do the pt
Old Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wrench View Post
I have a reverse shoulder replacement for my right shoulder scheduled for March 12. There is also a repair to my rotator cuff at the same time.
I also have a 2 month motorcycle trip planned starting June 1.
My doctor thinks I will be goid to go by then.
My two buddies that I will be travelling with have told me that if my bike takes a dirt nap they will pick it up for me..
That is a good thing as it is over 500 lbs.
Last March I had my left knee replaced and it is doing well.
I have a good range of motion and no pain but it still swells up at times.
Doing the exercises is very important for recovery.
The doctor told me that since I am 6ft t tall and 310 lbs that the knee could take some time to be completely happy.
Hope the shoulder heals fast.
Good luck with your surgery.
Follow the docs advise and do the pt
I am going to be 67 years old when the shoulder is replaced.
Old Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote