Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #85

I'm 70 and had a complete shoulder replacement. About 4 weeks rehab and result is great. I can now put on a belt while wearing the pants as opposed to before wearing them. Small rewards!
rbkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #86

Wagon master

I had rotator cuff surgery in Wichita on November 3 2018. The surgeon was from the clinic you are referring too. I used Dr Brennan Lucas from Advanced Orthopedics, he specializes in shoulder repair and replacement. I Started PT 3 days after surgery and about done with that. Only used pain pills for three days after surgery. He also did a bicep repair at the same time. Super Bowl Sunday will be the three month mark to the day. I haven’t drove the MH yet but could easily do that now. May do a few weeks more of PT, as it’s mostly just weight training now. My injury was over two years ago, as I just kept putting it off and living with pain. Almost pain free now, but can’t lift very heavy yet, as it just takes time, and do your rehabilitation! Advanced Orthopedics Associates: Dr Brennen Lucas 316-631-1600 Wichita KS

Dr Lucas is the best and a great guy!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #87

And Dr Lucas is one of the docs that works for the universitys and the semi pro hockey team in town. I should of done it two years ago! and it only took two weeks from first visit to surgery.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #88

DaleAmundson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just had a MRI and found a torn rotator cuff. According to info it seems recovery after surgery may take 6 months, so there goes my summer travels. The wife fell 10 weeks ago, broke her arm, and now looking at shoulder surgery as soon as arm heals. May even wipe out our fall travels. Hasn't been a good year so far.

Anyone had this type of surgery and was able to travel safely in less time? Also, haven't been able to decide on the surgeon yet. Anyone have any experience with an expert shoulder surgeon in the Wichita, Ks area? Had a good hip surgeon there about 5 years ago but don't know a good shoulder surgeon.
I don't know about the surgeons that you need, but I can offer some help on recovery. I had severe rhuemitoid arthritis and was introduced to a company called Evolv health. They have products that will cut your recovery time significantly. Go to Evolv health.com and check out the products. Especially Immune and Limitless. I was blessed someone told me about them.
DaleAmundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #89

Missing a trip

Quote:
Just had a MRI and found a torn rotator cuff. According to info it seems recovery after surgery may take 6 months, so there goes my summer travels. The wife fell 10 weeks ago, broke her arm, and now looking at shoulder surgery as soon as arm heals. May even wipe out our fall travels. Hasn't been a good year so far.

Anyone had this type of surgery and was able to travel safely in less time? Also, haven't been able to decide on the surgeon yet. Anyone have any experience with an expert shoulder surgeon in the Wichita, Ks area? Had a good hip surgeon there about 5 years ago but don't know a good shoulder surgeon.
I believe recovery is up to the person - in most cases. My shoulder and a mesquite tree limb tried to occupy the same space while mowing with my lawn tractor. It hurt pretty darn bad and after a couple of weeks or so of pain I couldn't get rid of I saw a new Dr within the group my regular orthopedic Dr worked for. He gave me an injection and that lasted about a month. Went back in and went with another, stronger injection and it lasted less than a week. I thought we were going with surgery then but an older Dr in the group said because of my age (76) and being a smoker, I should try PT first. So I was set up on twice a week sessions for a month. I had completed 3 weeks, when my brother passed away and I had to tend to that. But I emailed my Dr and told him I had done 3 weeks and believed I was more sore than when I started. So as soon as I finished tending to things with my brother I got an MRI and Dr scheduled the surgery. That was 11/5/2018. When the Dr got in he found my shoulder in worse shape than the MRI showed it to be. One of the worst he had worked on. When I woke up after surgery my pain was almost non-existent, and has been ever since. I was in a pretty confining sling for a month and then started PT twice a week for a month. Saw the Dr and I was doing far better than expected and went back for PT once a week. Even the therapists were amazed with my progress. But I was doing PT at home, too. Went back to the Dr. after 4 more weeks of PT. He said normally he would have people come back in another 3 months, and usually another 3 after that. But I was already at the point most patients were in 6-9 months. He was very surprised, and happy with my progress and didn't have to come back, unless I wanted to. I told him I might just to talk. He told me to just take care to not to lift too much weight above my head for a while yet. Dr Burrus has to be one of the best Drs I've ever been to, both as a surgeon and as a person. If anyone is in the Austin, TX area his name is Dr Tyrell Burrus and he is with the Orthopedic Associates of Central Texas.
ycor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #90

I went to see the surgeon who did Pammi's hip and knee replacement Wednesday. He also does shoulders!
Going to get an ultrasound on my shoulder next Tuesday. He'd prefer an MRI, but it's way too expensive, even with insurance!
I have 2 reasons to get it fixed besides being tired of the pain.
Our annual family reunion is a big one this year. baby brother is turning 50, and I want to go! WITH my TT!
I also don't want to mess up anyone else's summer vacations, so I'm gonna push to have surgery soon!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #91

Quote:

It took me 5 1/2 months on the rotator cuff torn tendon the main thing is you have to do the therapy everyday, I got 93 % of my range of motion back but that was 6 years ago, now I have two torn tendons one in each shoulder from falling off my roof, surgery was unsuccessful, I have range of motion but I’m a weakling! Good luck!
Kcinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #92

The ultrasound I had yesterday revealed a small, but through, tear in the front tendon in my rotator cuff. The PA who did it said that it might be fixed with injections, but I'm not sure if my insurance covers that.
Anyway, I'm back to the surgeon on Monday morning to see what he says. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #93

Yikes!

Y’all have me concerned. I went in for a 1-year Follow-up after knee replacement. Doing super but the doc noticed I was having issues with my R shoulder. He checked it out and said rotator cuff. Gave me a sheet with exercises to do. He said if not better in 6 weeks to give him a call to further evaluate it. Right now I can’t do an arm curl with just a dumbbell bar (3 pounds?) more than 2 inches due to the pain. I’ll keep working on the exercises but what worries me is that I just started full-timing two weeks ago with a new Bullet Ultralight 220RBI, 26’. I am widowed and just sold my house last week. No home base to return to for rehab if necessary. I guess if really necessary, I can go park at my sisters house for the rehab. She also has a TT and 20 acres so not a real big imposition (I hope). Even if no surgery I’m guessing I’ll still be in rehab a few times per week. Hopefully these exercises for the next month and a half will do the trick. If not I guess I’m beached for a while. Rats!
LeeB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #94

So, I went to see the surgeon first thing Monday morning. Seems that I misheard the PA who did my ultrasound. The through tear is in the upper tendon of my rotator cuff, with a partial tear in the front tendon and one of the 2 tendons holding my bicep in place.
I'm currently waiting on hem to call with a date for my surgery AND for my boss to get a temp in here so I can train him to do my route while I'm recovering.
There IS a reason my phone suggests "boss" after I type or tweet the word "idiot"!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #95

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
starting a more sincere look at me left shoulder tomorrow AM. It was injured a few years back along with new neck issues when a 120lb+ solid hardwood door from the 50s fell out of its hinges catching me perfectly at the upper edge so it got the neck & top of the shoulder. Never had been knocked out even for the brief instant it went black...to point now I'm resigned to it.

just about 55 weeks since a total left hip replacement. concerned with putting my 50mumble system under general again so soon. The affects on my system showed me it takes a huge toll on out bodies....so injections until I feel like I'm ready again.

problem is injections only make it worse and weakens the tissue. There is also a finite number we can have in a joint. Injections cure nothing buying only time.

So good luck on your treatment, surgery and recovery. Shoulders are rough to restore or full recover...
Old 02-14-2019, 05:44 AM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just had my left shoulder replaced 15 days ago and very little pain after 48 hours. Maybe that is a viable choice?
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #97

I had a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus rotator cuff muscle. The surgery itself isn't all that bad, but the rehab sure can be. I had a peripheral nerve catheter post-surgery, which is awesome. In colloquial terms, it's a pain med pump that you wear on a belt and it delivers pain meds directly to the surgical site through a very small catheter in your neck. The catheter is not painful, nor is the removal of it. I had mine for 4 days after surgery. It's a LOT better than just the standard block. Ask for it.

Another thing to ask for is a GameReady. It's a machine that you rent and has a cuff that fits around your shoulder. It has a reservoir for ice and water, plus a small motor that pumps ice water to the injury site. It's way better than ice bags. I was out for about a week after my surgery, then in a shoulder sling for about 6 weeks, then several months of PT. DO YOUR PT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Because in reality, having a high quality of life after you are healed is very, very dependent on getting back full range of motion or close to it. Do all your exercises faithfully. I was driving a week after my surgery. But being one-armed meant I was heavily dependent on my spouse, and that's going to be tough for you. That said, being able to do fun, enjoyable things while healing really helps one's outlook on life. So I would encourage you to still go on some adventures this summer, but ones that are more conservative perhaps.
Squarepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepeg View Post
I had a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus rotator cuff muscle. The surgery itself isn't all that bad, but the rehab sure can be. I had a peripheral nerve catheter post-surgery, which is awesome. In colloquial terms, it's a pain med pump that you wear on a belt and it delivers pain meds directly to the surgical site through a very small catheter in your neck. The catheter is not painful, nor is the removal of it. I had mine for 4 days after surgery. It's a LOT better than just the standard block. Ask for it.

Another thing to ask for is a GameReady. It's a machine that you rent and has a cuff that fits around your shoulder. It has a reservoir for ice and water, plus a small motor that pumps ice water to the injury site. It's way better than ice bags. I was out for about a week after my surgery, then in a shoulder sling for about 6 weeks, then several months of PT. DO YOUR PT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Because in reality, having a high quality of life after you are healed is very, very dependent on getting back full range of motion or close to it. Do all your exercises faithfully. I was driving a week after my surgery. But being one-armed meant I was heavily dependent on my spouse, and that's going to be tough for you. That said, being able to do fun, enjoyable things while healing really helps one's outlook on life. So I would encourage you to still go on some adventures this summer, but ones that are more conservative perhaps.
Yeah, being a one armed bandit is the part that I'm not looking forward to.
ESPECIALLY since it's my smart arm!
But I will do the rehab, no matter how much it hurts!