Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #1

MCD shades customer service

I'm wondering if there are others as frustrated as myself with MCD customer service?

Based on reviews from iRV I decieded to purchase MCD shades for our rig. Their website is lacking technical information for a DIY so I called customer service. It was like calling my X-wife. I came away with no answers and they made me sorry I bothered them.

Not discouraged I figured it out the best I could and with fingers crossed took the leap of faith and placed an on line order. Not recieving a response I followed up with an e-mail asking for them to confirm receipt of my order (I was afraid to call again). Finally they responded and gave me a delivery date a month and half out. Tomorrow is that delivery date. Friday morning I sent an email asking if my delivery was on track. Silly me for expecting them to respond.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I had one half of a shade break and was told that I had to buy another complete assembly. Out of the goodness of their heart, they would give me a 10% customer loyalty discount.
Needless to say, I now have Automotion shdes
Old 11-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

We have MCD shades in every window of our 2020 Bounder. Absolute garbage product, absolute garbage service. Before our first trip to the REV service center (which occurred at approximately 4 months old), we had two of our shades go bad. They would extend with a very hard pull and a very loud click; they would NOT retract, other than to manually twist the top, which is very hard to do with the valance in the way. REV replaced these, no questions asked. With two months, two more had gone bad. Not having any trips to the factory on the schedule for another few months, I tried calling MCD. Just an answering machine. It said they were so busy that the only way to get support was via email. I then sent them an email, telling them of my problem. I received the standard "we have received your email and will be with you as soon as we can" reply. That was over two months ago. Never got a call, never got another email. Nothing.

I managed to get one of the two broken units "kinda" working, but the other one is simply too hard to put back in so I'm scared to take it down. I will have REV look at these two when we return in December.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I got 7 MCD shades for my class A RV just 2 years ago and have no complain about product quality and customer service was curteous. Maybe they are over their head this year with increased demand ?
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol6 View Post
I got 7 MCD shades for my class A RV just 2 years ago and have no complain about product quality and customer service was curteous. Maybe they are over their head this year with increased demand ?
X2 Had mine installed over 2 years ago and so far no problems and customer service was great at the time. Hope I don't experience problems others have experienced and have to make a phone call.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Or maybe since they became a subsidiary of Airxcel Corp back in 2016? INO, the bigger a company gets, the less likely they are to remember the customer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #7

Well, It is encouraging that some are happy with their MCD roller shades. Others have confirmed my feeling that their customer service is horrible. I haven't even received my shades yet and am very sorry I ordered them. There are too many good companies out there that care about providing good service.

Yesterday I ordered a new backup camera from RV Cams. That has been a excellent experience and those people are spot on.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #8

Update on my order

I got up the courage and called MCD customer service. To my surprise they were very friendly, informed me my order was only one day behind schedule and wished me a good day at the end of our conversation. Maybe there is a god.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #9

We just had them installed in our coach this summer. We did have to wait six weeks for them due to Covid shut downs last spring and the high demand now. So far, so good.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #10

I have a different company called Irvine Shade and Door INC. They make the slow rise roller window shades for RV's. I have had a wonderful experience using this company. I did have a roller shade fail an internal spring on one window. I called customer service and they sent out a new complete internal roller assembly for free. I all had to do was install the assembly per their on line videos.
Just saying!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How can you tell if you have MCD shades?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How can you tell if you have MCD shades?
Either on the shade header or on a shade pull there should be a label on the shades stating that you have MCD shades or some other brand.

If you are the original owner you should have information packet on all of the items used in the RV. You could refer to this packet. At least in my RV I had this packet and it provide information on my roller shades.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a note....they only make about four sizes of the internal mechanisms on the mechanical shades (not the powered shades). I keep one each of the small, medium and large mechanisms in my parts bin. They're fairly inexpensive. If a shade breaks on the road, I have a spare mechanism and can fix it in a few minutes.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just a note....they only make about four sizes of the internal mechanisms on the mechanical shades (not the powered shades). I keep one each of the small, medium and large mechanisms in my parts bin. They're fairly inexpensive. If a shade breaks on the road, I have a spare mechanism and can fix it in a few minutes.
Just wondering if having to do repairs is a common problem?

We haven’t even received our shades yet and now I’m concerned about having spare parts.

Tags
mcd shades, service