Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthegun View Post
UPDATE!:

THEY PAID IT OFF !!!!!!!!! WWWWOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Rob
All's well that ends well!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the great update
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #45

Congrats on being done with this. At least you can stop stressing about it. All in all, it turned out being 4 business days past what it should have been. I understand that it caused you a lot of anxiety but like I said before, that's the nature of the beast with these things. In the grand scheme of things that is a small amount of time. Don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel that a lot of the accusations leveled on here about the dealership are blown way out of proportion. You were never out any money since they cut you a check for the payment, you suffered zero damages, and the unit was paid off within a week of the deadline. YES, it was past due, YES they should have paid on time, but from that to accusing them of trying to rip you off, accusing them of having cash flow problems, filing with the BBB and DMV is all a bit extreme in my book. And all this over four days...
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rob,
I know its all over with and all but to answer your Question as to "Why"
Id guess they were just banking the intrest on YOUR money.
it kinda back fired on them when you complained and they paid you the money for the payment.
If you had not complained and they might have had a lower payoff to pay a month later...
it is something to think about.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
Congrats on being done with this. At least you can stop stressing about it. All in all, it turned out being 4 business days past what it should have been. I understand that it caused you a lot of anxiety but like I said before, that's the nature of the beast with these things. In the grand scheme of things that is a small amount of time. Don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel that a lot of the accusations leveled on here about the dealership are blown way out of proportion. You were never out any money since they cut you a check for the payment, you suffered zero damages, and the unit was paid off within a week of the deadline. YES, it was past due, YES they should have paid on time, but from that to accusing them of trying to rip you off, accusing them of having cash flow problems, filing with the BBB and DMV is all a bit extreme in my book. And all this over four days...
The law says calendar days. so It was 6 days late. When you call for a 10 tay pay-off amount... It's reasonable to expect it to be paid within that time... And the law gives them an additional 11 days to get it done in case something happens... And the only reason I got a check to cover my loan payment was because of the huge stink that I raised, and because of me going down there in person and making them all feel very uncomfortable... If I had just sat back and not pressured McMahon's to pay the trade off, who knows how long it may have taken for them to finally get it done. And not everyone has the luxury of being able to just drive down there and get in their faces...

I wasn't ACCUSING... I was SPECULATING and I was asking for advice from the good people here... I was worried and desparate for answers... MCmahon's is to blame for my anxiety because I wasn't getting any answers from them due to the little games they play with dodging the customer and dragging the process out... I was forced to specualte becasue of McMahon's business practices....

Is moving forward with my complaints to the DMV and BBB a necessary? I think so.. McMahons needs to understand that you can't ignore the law when it comes to the rights of the buyer.... It puts people in unfair situations... And like I said before, I refuse to be one of their victims, and I will be sure that any proential future McMahons customer that does their homework knows about what has happened here so that they can make an informed decision about whether or not they want to get involved in a business relationship with such a poorly managed organization...

Extreme? I don't think so. But you're entitiled to your opinion, and I appreciate your input!
Underthegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This sounds just like a situation with a dealer in MI. After repeated complaints by numerous customers and must say it did take a little while the dalership finally closed their doors. Hope all works OK for you and some of the advice given has been good. Good Luck for sure.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #49

I can understand that you feel taken advantage of and I don't want to take that away from you. Just wanted to add some third party objective perspective to this.

Have you ever mailed a payment check to the bank? What does it usually take? Two or three days to post? If your credit union posted the payment on Monday that means the dealership mailed it Thursday or Friday, when their deadline was Tuesday? And add to that the fact that they had to get a new payoff amount after cutting you the payment check and start over. It is also a common business accounting practice in any business to cut checks for the date they are due, not the day of the transaction. Again, not saying they weren't wrong just adding some perspective. If you use a speeder as an analogy (since you keep stating they broke the law), would you hammer someone driving 58 in a 55 the same as if they were driving 90 in a 55 or would that be something you would cut a break on?

As for the speculations, when you "speculate" that someone is trying to rip you off, state in an open forum that you are going to report your rig stolen because you feel that's what they are doing, state that they must be going out of business, ect., it does become an accusation. You are well within your rights to file the complaints and pursue whichever avenues you have available under the law, I just gave my opinion that the accusations were a bit harsh for what turned out to be a less than a week late payment.

I will now take my opinions elsewhere. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Good luck to you going forward.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthegun View Post
Thanks Yellowreef, I appreciate your encouragememt to take a deep breath.

I am normally a VERY laid back person. I rarely get all spun up over such things... I know "stuff happens"...

But if 17 years in Law Enforcement has taught me anything, it's this:

"Always follow your gut"

And my gut insticts are telling me that something wrong is going on here.

They way that everyone has been acting, and the manner at which this situation has been handled so far, has my suspicions going crazy!

I find it interesting that this type of thing seems to happen with more than just a random, coincidental amount of frequency.

What benefit is it to the dealership to delay making such payments? I would think that it would be in their best interests to flip the toy hauler as fast as they can... This would mean obtaining possession of the title asap, and getting it off of their lot and off to the wholesaler in the least amount of time possible.

My turn to play devil's advocate:

Could it be that in this depressed economy, their day to day operational expenses exceed their sales rates and they are forced to "float" the money just to keep the lights on?

Who knows, but This fact remains.... they are breaking the law. The california Car buyers protection act of 2009 applies to ALL vehicle dealership sales, including RV's and motorcycles.

http://http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/olin/09_olin/09olin19.pdf

McMahon's knows this, yet they continue to do it. The question here is "WHY?"

If I would've for one second thought that this would happen, I would NEVER have purchased from them. It's bad business, unethical, iilegal, and fraudulent.

Not to mention, it has me stressing out completley. We are supposed to go out in the toy hauler camping for New Years. This trip will likely be cancelled because I'm worried that I'm going to have to be paying two trailer payments for who knows how long...

Here is a link to another thread, where the OP had a similar experience... http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/bl...practices-748/

Can I ask you, when you were waiting for your dealership to pay your trade off, were you at least somewhat concerned? Were you happy about making those TWO payments? Did you make any calls or pursue any avenues to protect yourself? How long would you have waited before you reported them or taken any action? How long do you suggest I wait?

When they called my Credit Union for the 10 day pay-off amount, the amount they were quoted is different than the amount that is owed now... More interest has accrued. If they "cut the check" last week like they say they did, then how are they going to resolve the additonal amount that is owed?

Something isn't right here. I am sure of it. This is more than just poor business practice and inept employees.

If I can help it, I won't be one of their victims... And I won't allow some other poor family to suffer becasue of their shenanegains either...

I'm going to make a WHOLE LOT of Hooplah!

From the various responses about this dealership of similar actions, they are simply using the delayed payment actions to fund their day to day operations. If they can delay payment for your MH for thirty days, they don't have to draw on their line of credit. If they do this to all their customers, just think of the 'free' operating capital! This is not ethical, but many businesses operate in this manner.
This is method of operating is very common with construction contractors when they begin to have cash flow problems, and should always be taken as a bad sign. Protect yourself because they do not have sufficient operating capital of their own!
Good Luck
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Underthegun, I think Yellowreef is right. You sound like you worry like I do. I hope you did'nt let it spoil the fun with your new RV.
As a matter of fact, you may not want to buy an extended warranty. I paid $4000 for mine and they gladly accepted my money. When my engine blew up , my motorhome sat for 2 months at a repair shop because they just could'nt decide if they wanted to pay $13,000 for a new engine. And the only person I could talk to at the ESP were subcontracted by many different extended warranty companies and they had no idea what was taking so long except they speculated that the high dollar amount was rocking them.
I also contacted the BBB, the Division of Insurance and the Attorney Generals office in both CO and NY and suddenly they just approved it..
Enjoy your new RV now.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #52

This is a very interesting read. I'm having almost the same problem. I consigned my motorhome with McMahon's and they sold it on 11-29-11. Its now been 23 days but most frustrating is the fact they won't take your call and will not return your message. Now in todays economy if we aren't concerned and do not take action, well you know what could happen. I also have contacted the DMV and filed a complaint along with BBB. I'm waiting for a call back from an attorney that handles these matters. We are not over reacting they are in breech of the contract. I suppose its easier to give them the benefit if the doubt if its not your money but its my money and I'm mad as hell. If they would just be honest and truthful and return a call that would help.
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #53
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
It's pretty obvious to me that McMahon RV, for whatever their reason is, seems to have a problem with good business ethics. There conduct is one of the reasons laws/rules were set up so this type of conduct is kept to a minimum. I agree 100% with the OP in that I would also go forth with filing the necessary complaint(s) with the the applicable agency. I have 0 tolerance for any business that fiddle diddles around with customers and then gives you the stupid look when you confront them. Perhaps they should get their financial house in order or get out of the business.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #54

Don't give up the title until you get paid. It ain't rocket science.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #55

The title is not ours to give up but the lienholders, and they still have it. But nice responce. I'm just mad sorry. They sell our coach, get paid for it from the new bank/buyer but do not pay off our lienholder or us. Explain that as good business for me would you.
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
The title is not ours to give up but the lienholders, and they still have it. But nice responce. I'm just mad sorry. They sell our coach, get paid for it from the new bank/buyer but do not pay off our lienholder or us. Explain that as good business for me would you.
20 years ago it was good business because they got the free use of your money. You weren't likely to do business with them again anytime soon anyway, and the number of folks you could influence with your dissatisfaction was few.

Now we have the internet, and forums like this. It's a different story.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote