Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #15

Last but not least. I've been doing the small maintenance stuff. I've now moved to the roof. It is one piece aluminum, 84" wide and about 30' long. There was a lift at the back seam where it screws to the round portion. I knew it might get interesting so was putting it off.

So I started removing screws at the edges, most of them didn't even snap, they were rusted enough they just let go. So I got the rear trim piece off and started working up the sides so I could look underneath. The sides were spliced about 4' forward so I took those off then lifted the aluminum sheet.

There was 1/4" OSB on top of another layer of something. The OSB was damp and rotted, enough that when I lifted the roof couple of water droplets ran off it. So forward I go, looking for dry land.

Made a cradle out of a HB dolley and put it under the a/c closest to the rear and moved it forward. That dolley works well. I also have a small tractor with pallet forks I will use if I need to take it off, after making a box to reach the right height.

The wood structure at the a/c looked good so hopefully I won't have to go too far forward with the roof work. I was wondering if the a/c was contributing to the rot problem but I don't think so. I'll work my way up the sides and see how far that goes till dry wood is reached.

The 3 a/c look original, 20 yr old Coleman Mach units, made in Wichita, KS when they were still there. They still work and look pretty robust. Guess since there are three of them I'll use them till they take a dump since there are two others for backup.

Looked for pricing on an aluminum sheet just for kicks for the roof, didn't find anything and I'm glad I'm not buying.

Also have to remove a lot of that gray play dough looking sealer, soft and sticky where it hasn't dried out. Heat gun and scraper or chisel works good but doesn't remove it all. That might have been good 20 yrs ago but think I'll change to a silicone sealer.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:24 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nice! Thanks for sharing.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #17

I would avoid silicone, for sure. It's bad news. Stick with the gray gummy butyl tape.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #18

Every RVers worst dream. If the roof had been fiberglass I don't know what I would have done. The way it is after pulling the screws and cleaning the top from the putty I pulled the aluminum back, ,this will let me get to the underside of the lid and top of the sidewalls to clean them also, then when I'm done I'll pull it to the rear. I used styrofoam supports inside the teardrop to keep the aluminum from creasing.

The oscillating tool is a godsend. With the scraper it moves through the putty like butter.

The lid is .032, the sidewalls are 1/8". There are two layers of 1/2" OSB on top, so 1" total, hope the moisture hasn't disturbed the bottom layer. They used Roberts fasteners on the OSB, must have been the thing back then vs phillips.

Peel away we go.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C134A4EC-4360-4830-8EAF-6DBEACD236D2.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	365959   Click image for larger version

Name:	903085BF-2DE5-4E20-9FAE-14373CF7095E.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	365960  

Old 05-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #19

Pulled the back half of osb off. It is actually one roof on top of another. At one time there was a leak at the rear because of an antennae. I'm guessing instead of pulling the roof off that uses solid rivets they installed another on top. And it looks like the original roof was 1/8" aluminum also.

So they put some kind of rubber material on top of the original roof, followed by 1/2" osb followed by another row down the middle to form a crown, leaving the 1 1/2' outside portion uncovered by the top layer, then the .032" aluminum piece.

So now I'm looking at removing the complete second roof and sealing the original or rehabbing the second roof.

But I found moisture between the rubber material and the original roof so that is not a good sign either, they punctured the rubber material with fasteners used on the second roof, when the second roof leaked it must have went through the screw holes.

Water can do some funny things.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:16 PM   #20

So I pulled off the patched roof. Went down to the aluminum skin on most of the roof, which is .032 and not the 1/8" stuff I thought, apparently they put this on top of the original roof for some equipment.

There is a rubber material they used on top of that and it is not coming off. Don't know what they used for adhesive but heat doesn't effect it and my oscillating tool with scraper takes a lot of patience. Why they would put the rubber down, then osb on top of that then an aluminum skin on top of that is any one's guess. I figure I took 500# of material off the roof.

On the removal of the a/c's, two hit the ground on the way down and the third finally made it. They are 20 yrs old so I wasn't too excited. Have two Houghton 15k btu a/c's with heat pump waiting for install and the last hole is going to mate up to a maxxair roof fan for ventilation which is badly needed.

All the electrical is working good and the batteries are holding their charge.

This being a front engine setup which I preferred to a rear engine bus type design wise, it was getting a little warm on a recent drive which really shouldn't happen with proper air flow. I installed an air dam around the CAC which sits in front of the radiator and moved the a/c cooler out in front of the air dam into the air flow and try to get some better cooling in the a/c department, if that doesn't help I'll go the recharge route. The air dam should keep the air from spilling over the sides of the CAC and maybe help in the power department. Think I'll open up the grill also and install some screen, maybe.

So been sealing the holes in the roof which there are a ton of since they screwed the osb and aluminum skin down. Getting ready to put the Henry's silicone roofing to her. Getting the roof out of the way wil be a big hurdle.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:40 PM   #21

Thought I’d show the inside while I’m waiting for the roof to dry. The true part of that is I am waiting for the roof to dry.

https://youtu.be/qbzwVsd6-hg
Old 06-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #22

Here's a pic of the lid to the MT55. 2 coats of Henrys tropi cool 100% silicone lifetime guarantee. Lifetime doesn't really mean as much as it used to....

Notice the a/c holes, I siliconed those also, if there is a leak it ends up on the floor, not within the structure and making it harder to locate and doing all kinds of destructive things.

Here is a pic of the air dam. I moved the a/c radiator out into the air stream and try to get better cooling. I would have preferred aluminum but didn't have any scrap to fit the dimensions and the price of that stuff is crazy. Wood--free, 4 long bolts $3.

I replaced the wix air filter with the Donaldson unit. I am not sure if the top should be left open like that. There is a drain hole at the bottom. Maybe that filter uses a lid I'm not aware of or is supposed to point down? Maybe someone will chime in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7814407D-98BE-4DCE-9D6A-DF0BC4DF705C.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	367338   Click image for larger version

Name:	84831302-3A69-4C39-8D98-3EEF9EBE17F4.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	367339  

Old 06-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #23

Think I'll post a few pics. Free bandwidth you know
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17DA9093-729A-4D97-ACA7-659FEE263DEE.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	368119   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0E22789-E1A5-442B-8AD4-E959467697BB.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	368120  

Name:	1026D634-0F18-4649-95C0-0F385A6D2F9D.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	368121  
Old 06-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #24

So what we have here, is a failure to communicate. Everybody likes that line.

First pic is the blacked out hood. Always hated the glare off these and wanted to try it. I think it works although it was cloudy out today on the test drive. Opened up the grill also with every other slat removed. Don't know if it helped the MT55 but it helped my mind. That is a flat black Behr brand outside latex paint, two coats and turned out well. Needs two coats, less than 1 quart used.

The second pic is of the air dam on the CAC. Had some left over paint in the bucket and painted the wood. Think that looks better.

Third pic is the roof, 2 to 3 coats of Henry's tropicool 100% silicone. Suggest a respirator. Reason for 2-3 coats is after the second coat can't really tell where the third coat is going on. Was trying to use up a 5 gallon pail and didn't succeed, that is a little over 27' of roof btw. After I pulled off the osb there was the rubber stuff underneath, some of it came up, some didn't. The stuff that didn't wasn't going to without a fight and I didn't feel like the need or wasn't needed anyway. Everything is sealed up pretty good. The box is where they routed the antenna cables through the roof. Pretty good idea, hole in the roof, set the box on the hole and put a weather head on the box like you would a power pole. If I ever go solar this will come in handy.

Took it on a trip to the scales today after I've been doing all this work, so first drive for a while. Scales showed 17,820 lbs, after I bought it and weighed it at the dump scales it was a little over 19k. I didn't think I removed that much weight but I guess it adds up, and there was more fuel also in the second weigh.

The little a/c on the 5.9 cummins is not ever in its wildest dreams going to be able to cool the cab. I shut the door that is about 6' behind the seats and let her rip. No way that is going to work, all the aluminum is just a radiant heater off the engine. Reason I know this is the overhead 15k btu new Houghton a/c had a rough time cooling the cab. I think there are some air leaks that are going to get fixed but that won't take it the full 9 yards. The fans above the dash helped circulate air also. Today is 86 degrees and 80% humidity with cloudy skies.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #25

Here's a good place to respite. Behind the drivers seat, the cabinets and countertop assy was moved from the rear to the front, replacing a countertop without cabinets, and the cabinets above were non matching material. Also removed was the divider wall with divider and the closet doors and inner divider across from it were removed. The countertop and cabinet assy was longer so everything was moved toward the rear and the seats were reinstalled with swivels. The plan right now is the fridge is going to be moved to the closet space on a shelf at eye level then below that will be a chest freezer probably on a sliding shelf. The space where the fridge is to be removed will house a water tank. I have a full size stainless kitchen sink I think will fit where the small one is, so there will be a full size two hole kitchen sink! In the rear pic is the vacant space where the furniture was moved to the front, the aluminum box is atop where the generator is housed. Doesn't look like it but it takes a lot of work to make things work and move stuff around. From here toward the back it gets dicey. Somewhere the ******* and shower needs to fit and someplace to sleep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E2C6EACD-4EC3-44F0-A2AD-9844A1EB8238.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	369046   Click image for larger version

Name:	B569FE53-5B1F-4841-A0FF-2DD243E0C92C.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	369047  

Name:	A423494B-CB47-4555-8368-4B84AF16D66F.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	369048  
Old 06-28-2022, 04:35 PM   #26

Sweet rig!
Dunno which exact 5.9 it has, but whatever version, programming is available to give it plenty of snort to move that rig with authority!
(Unless it's old enough to be mechanical injection, in which case more power is somewhere between cheap and free.
Grit dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
Sweet rig!
Dunno which exact 5.9 it has, but whatever version, programming is available to give it plenty of snort to move that rig with authority!
(Unless it's old enough to be mechanical injection, in which case more power is somewhere between cheap and free.
It is the 24v, and I would prefer more snort. Thing is it has the Freightliner wiring so the dodge stuff I don't think will work, but I think that is available also. The upside to having only 225hp is it doesn't tear things up
Old 06-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #28

I pulled it out today, need to organize everything that has been pulled out, more room for lumber needs to be made. Here is a pic of where the fridge ended up from below the sink. I hate bending over to access a fridge, almost useless. Below the position where the new fridge is there will be an Engel Mt80f chest freezer/fridge. It is just about the biggest to fit the width and depth needed. That leaves a lot of space below the sink countertop for water tanks. On the outside is the fill station and below the floor is another compartment available for storage so it is just a matter of coordinating things. I really wanted to put a full size kitchen sink in that I had sitting around but it would be a tight fit and kind of shelved the idea for now. Opposite the galley is another pic of the new countertop and cabinets installed. One pic from the rear, and another pic 6' from the rear. The box is 24', take off 6' and an 18' box would really work, the additional space will come in handy also. Have to figure out the sleeping quarters and shower/****/shave space, maybe someday. I think the sleeping quarters would be great on an overhead space above the cab, would be my preference in a Super C.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32B2EA58-141E-44E8-ABED-2FCD5C3FBCB1.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	369625   Click image for larger version

Name:	831FE507-E49E-4042-B18B-0E014A1D6D7F.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	369626  

Name:	9A769F45-1CDE-4ADF-BAF4-0C1D62852357.jpeg