Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #71

It would of irked me too, but then you gotta think about the "me" part. They weren't conforming to your way of camping...so is there really a "me" here? lol
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #72

Post # 11 gets my vote, hands down. NO, maybe it's hands up. What ever, he still get my vote.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #73

"Me" Generation Ruining Campgrounds - Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
You're just lucky dude. You have that mojo... or maybe you're so mojotastic that others can sense it and calm down like you're the camper whisperer... or maybe you're just wearing a dress... who knows

Now that there is funny!
And thanks....I think.
And it was a grass skirt. Aloha
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I get a big kick out of my fellow Baby Boomers bum rapping younger people as selfish, given that we're probably the most spoiled, selfish, self centered, self congratulatory, superficial, delusional and drug addled generation in American history.

Our main cultural contributions are "business casual" and the cockamamie notion that an office worker who drives an Audi is in some fundamental way different from an office worker who drives a Buick. And the equally absurd notion that it's possible to be both bourgeois and "cool".

Dont know about the rest but you are certainly giving fuel to the drug addled part of it.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I get a big kick out of my fellow Baby Boomers bum rapping younger people as selfish, given that we're probably the most spoiled, selfish, self centered, self congratulatory, superficial, delusional and drug addled generation in American history.

Our main cultural contributions are "business casual" and the cockamamie notion that an office worker who drives an Audi is in some fundamental way different from an office worker who drives a Buick. And the equally absurd notion that it's possible to be both bourgeois and "cool".
Heh, heh, heh...

I can sign up to a lot of what you posted. Whatever the generations beyond us are, we created them.

On the flip side, I continue to work with the current crop of uniformed military personnel. We are in very good hands!!
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimalberta View Post
Dont know about the rest but you are certainly giving fuel to the drug addled part of it.
An obvious slam but not bad, you had the wit to keep it short.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

You are so right... by definition the Baby Boomers are the "Me Generation". And at the same time - I don't think being oblivious to those around you in a camping environment or elsewhere belongs to a generation or any group of people - they belong to a unique group and it's membership is wide open... the insensitive - inconsiderate - self absorbed. There are some in every generation. Every economic bracket. Every culture. And, they walk among us.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #78

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Well said. In our nine years of campground hosting, at multiple locations, we were told the same thing. Talk nicely to rule breakers. If the behavior continues call law enforcement or rangers.

We will advise twice, then law enforcement is called.

I am one of those 60ish people mentioned, and am capable of at least holding my own in a physical altercation. But it is just not worth it, the pay scale is just not high enough. Let the younger, better trained, cops handle it.
Not really. In my original post, it was never my intention to denigrate those who serve as camp hosts nor to suggest that they become enforcers. Had you read my original post you would have seen that I was pretty clear that I wouldn't expect someone who is basically a volunteer to take on less considerate campers. But I also hold the view that one doesn't have to have been a camp host to understand certain realities.

The role of the camp host among other things is to relieve State, Provincial and National Parks from having to have "paid" staff onsite in campgrounds at all times. It was a way to help combat shrinking budgets and ballooning costs. In essence the camp host is the eyes and ears of those park system that do wield authority. Here is rub of that change in practice. Often there is no one on site anywhere at a CG with any authority to enforce rules. Sure there is a number or contact that may be called but in some cases, the help that should be right there may be a matter of hours away or even unavailable. Not to mention the reluctance to maybe call someone in the middle of the night for something that may be relatively minor in nature but still a violation of the rules. Your not going to get the police to come from an hour away because someone is being to loud very easily.

It provides a very different message when instead of a civilian volunteer, you have someone fully dressed in uniform coming on your site and telling you to alter your behaviour.

I don't blame the CG Host for that situation, I blame our budget makers who have steadily eroded the funding for our parks so that many struggle to even provided adequate maintenance. A system which has in many cases delegated management of many parks to private contractors. It is folly however to think that any CG Host of any age, gender or otherwise would be a replacement for some of the roles that used to be handled by actual government staff. Someone who could say that if you don't smarten up, you will be out right now. I don't argue for heavy handed responses in all but the most egregious of situations but what it comes down to is walking softly but carrying a big stick. The CG Host has almost no stick at all in many cases. "Behave or I'll tell on you" while at the same time knowing that as host you are basically on your own with who knows what until or if someone with authority actually arrives to take on a situation.

Here are just a few of the things that I have had to put up with under the "Camp Host" system.

Genny use outside posted hours.
Loud music and loud voices after quiet hours
People illegally reserving campsites for friends who hadn't arrived yet when in first come first served campgrounds.

All of those things are relatively minor in the great scheme of things but they are annoying nonetheless.
In those cases, CG hosts were nowhere to be found. In the latter instance, I even took up said issue with our provincial parks authority after the fact. Their response was basically a "we'll look into it". As a camper and someone who is paying to stay in a CG, I don't feel that I should have to become the "guy" who goes to "discuss the issue" with a larger group of people who have been "enjoying themselves". If the CG host doesn't have the authority, then I have even less. I remember those times when such things seldom happened because you would have a park service truck driving by once in awhile. If he stopped, you just knew that whatever it was you were doing, you were gonna stop. Now days, it feels like as a camper you are largely on your own and trusting to luck. Some have had negative experiences, some have not. In my case, it makes me long for the good old days where things seemed much clearer and fairer.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Been having a tough time lately with the "me" generation having a negative impact on camping. It seems these people are taking over. In the last 3 weeks, we have had drunk domestic violence, barking dogs, an actual wedding and reception at a site and lastly just some trash that could care less.

The episode with the dogs and the wedding / reception was at Lost Dutchman Campground in AZ, normally a quiet cg. In both cases the usual multiple camp hosts were no where to be found. I think many were snowbirds that have left for the season. There was no ranger on duty after 5. So we were basically left to the wolves. The dogs finally stopped barking around 8PM afterh a day of nonstop barking (yappers ).

Then at another site geniuses decided to host a wedding with full tuxedos and gowns and 20+ people at the site. Music so loud that we could not even talk at our site. F-bombs were heard the whole time over the music. Called the Pinal County Sheriff and they refused to come out saying it was the ranger's issue even after acknowledging that there was no way to contact a ranger. Nice. I eventually went over and asked for them to turn the music down only to be met by drunken idiots that wanted to fight. Being sober and 200 pounds and armed and capable of handling myself, I still stayed in my truck instead of following my first instinct. We suffered the whole night from these fools and they later came through our site messing with our stuff in retaliation. I spoke to the ranger the next day. He went to talk to them and did nothing.

Our last episodes were in the Tonto National Forest at Sharp Creek Campground. We knew there was trouble brewing as soon as the truck pulled into the next campsite. Despite being a family, a couple with their 12 yo (guessing) daughter and dog, instant loud music and trash flying everywhere. The host did stop by and they were quiet off and on.....until 6:30 the next morning when we were all woken up by loud music being cranked. They were gone on their own by 8 AM, but left behind what looked like a war zone. Trash covered the site including human and dog feces. Fire was left roaring. Leaving a roaring fire in a National Forest is pretty dangerous not to mention stupid. It took the host 2 hours to clean it all. Great lesson to teach your 12 yo daughter, right? The host did say that a fine would be sent to the address on record for whomever rented the site. But I am doubting people like that give a darn about that. They will ignore it.

During all this, another site a few spaces down, had a couple that got wasted and began fighting during the night. This included throwing things and physical altercations and screaming profanities until 4AM. The local sheriff and forest ranger finally showed up around 8AM to kick them out. Great help. Not.

I hope this is just a streak of bad luck and not a sign of things to come. What a way to have trips ruined. The one common theme amongst all the offenders was age. Each incident involved people in their 20's or early 30's (guessing by appearance of course). Alcohol was also a culprit in each incident other than the barking dogs. The dog owners didn't need alcohol. Stupidity seemed to come naturally for them. We are dog owners but do not allow our dogs bark non-stop. Hoping the next trip is event free.
1. Happy that you decided not to have a physically altercation because the outcome wouldn't be positive. Especially when weapons are involved.
2. Went camping once and this grown man was naked in the girls bathroom taking a shower with his daughter. The park filled up with state trooper, county police and park rsngers. He was arrested not before a good whooping from some men that was camping. The thing about this is that some European do not have the same thinking about sexuality as we do.
3. In the Tri-state area all state and federal parks and campground have a no alcohol policy. There is someone always on duty during the day and make rounds frequently. At night there is a number to call in case something happens.
Quite time in these parks are 10pm. Some parks are stricter than others when it comes to this.
Francina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francina View Post
3. In the Tri-state area all state and federal parks and campground have a no alcohol policy.
Illinois-Missouri-Kentucky? No drinking in the parks? There's little else to do in Cairo. Well, you can drive over to Sikeston for "throwed rolls".
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
one of the reasons I ALWAYS have the rear ac going on HIGH FAN so it never shuts off and typically drowns out all but the loudest noises
Amen, that white noise can drown out anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	95759  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #82

Appalachian Campers
This is an interesting thread to say the least. As an middle production run Gen Xer, I am standing firmly between the boomers and what was called the"Me" generation. For clarity, the boomers actually are the me generation, the young folks today are millennials.

It's a perceptual shift as we get older, in your 20's we're just having a good time, not realizing that they can be heard across the CG. 30s-50s, we remember that we had a good time too, but wish they'd pipe down some. 50's plus, I'm doing something about this.

What is fine changes in our minds as we age. Am I saying that in our 20's all of us trashed campsites? Not even close. But our scope narrows, we see things happen, we see things we don't approve of because of their ages.

I've been camping for 13 years now, tend to favor state parks, and have seen quite a bit in that time.

I've seen the tent and tarp city pop up, complete with makeshift sinks and window unit air conditioning, populated by those in their 20's. They were quiet, no trouble really. But the host made it clear he was watching them. Meanwhile, the neighbor on the other side, early to mid 60's, left his bucket light with a zillion watt bulb on every night all night and serenaded me with 50's music all day. When I asked about at least killing the bucket light I was told to close my shades as they needed the light to walk their dog in the middle of the night. My shades were closed and it was still bright.

Every generation bothers the other generation. Every generation will have their drunks partying all night, the worst of that I've seen was the group of Sons of Anarchy wanna-bes, bikes and all, partying away. They were in their 50's, all of them. Left a holy mess behind too.

What I feel we've lost is courtesy, on both sides, rule breakers and enforcement alike. People aren't willing to accept that their behavior is impinging on others, and enforcement (actual or self imposed) offers no compromise other than shut the heck up.

I had my telescope out, enjoying the stars, showing off to the crowd that gathered. We were quiet, I was pointing out the constellations, then at 10:01 by my watch a camper door slammed open and we were greeted by a guy in shorts with the brightest flashlight I've ever seen hitting us in the face barking about who I was and who did I think I was disturbing the CG after quiet time.

I asked if we were being loud, he said no, if there was a moratorium against crowds or telescopes, he said no, asked if he'd like to take a look, he said no. So what is the problem?

People out walking around after quiet time upsets his wife as she thinks they're up to no good so it's his job to stop it. He's not the host or a ranger, just a busybody.

He was probably pushing 50, just a few years older than me. It irritated me so bad, plus the folks around me took off, so I just packed it up for the night.

There are bad apples on both sides in every generation. But if we just stop for a second and say "how will my behavior affect others" we would ALL be better off.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #83

Well said indeed!
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Have wheels will travel. When it happens to us we leave, sometimes at 4am. First thing crank up the diesel, then the awnings go up, start unhooking the water, sewer, and elec. storing said items in storage bays where the doors keep slipping out my hands and slamming. Next asking my navigator if everything is ready to go on the inside in a not so soft voice. Then I hook up the towed all the while giving loud instructions. Usually by the time we're pulling out the loud mouths are awake and have their lights on. I've even gone so far as testing the horn before we've left. Does this make me a bad person?
Yes. You turn out to be a bigger JERK than anyone else since you have now disturbed all the other campers who endured the same night. They won't remember them but sure will remember you.

Tags
campground