Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #15

Last time there was fifteen years ago or so. Was helping to build a church just south of Mexicali . Got stopped by local police for three people in the front seat of a pickup truck.
Paid them $20.00. Made it back safe to the good old USA. Will never go back!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used to go to Cancun but can't get the DW to go there anymore. Too many bad storied.

I have a cousin and her husband who flew to one of those resorts with a tour group. The company didn't pay the bill to the resort and the group was taken to a city hall and imprisoned until the money was paid. They were scared to death and will never go again.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Been to Mexico many times.
They say the same thing about the USA in Europe.
Some people are so gullible.
Sad, but true. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Going to Rocky Point next month. I am happy to see that many are clueless about the safe places in MX (less crowds). I don't think we want them there anyway.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I plan on avoiding the whole country.
X2...big time.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Won't go to Newark or South Chicago, but comfortable in southern Baja.
also avoid the west side of Chicago.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Sad, but true. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Going to Rocky Point next month. I am happy to see that many are clueless about the safe places in MX (less crowds). I don't think we want them there anyway.

I spent Christmas in Rocky point, great time. Heading to Tijuana later this month. I Plan on going at least 10 more times this year. Ignorance abounds.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #21

At least in Chicago/Newark, the police and legal system are usually on your side. Nobody is on your side if you are unfortunate to find trouble in Mexico. That being said, I will be in Cozumel next week.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post

We are going to Rocky Point next month too, w/ several other rigs.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We sold our Motorhome to a couple and they are down in Mexico somewhere with it. I hope they are safe.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #24

No Way.....
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We are in the RGV about 6 miles from the border, Tamaulipas. We visit the little border town of Progresso a few times every season. The local store owners are very friendly and cater to the Winter Texans. We enjoy the local food, and the bargain prices for medicine, and some other items.
We are not stupid when we visit:
Never wear jewelry
Dress in cheap clothes
Don’t take or flash lots of money
Always go,early or mid day, never stay late in the day or night
Mostly go in a group
Never travel off the Main Street

All of the crimes we here about are drug related, one cartel vs another. I understand the local business people have an understanding ( probably pay a security fee) to the dealers to leave the poor little town alone.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #26

Here is our actual experience of living in Mexico. We have owned a home in Mazatlan, Sinaloa for 9 years. This is our fifth winter as snowbirds here. We drive the 750 miles down and back each year and spend 5 months here.

Our experience is opposite of almost every commenter to this thread. We feel safer here than in our home state of Washington. We regularly travel both by our own car and on buses and have had no troubles in the dozen years we have been visiting Mexico.

In our town there are 25,000 expats (Americans & Canadians) living here each winter. In our neighborhood there are 5 RV parks (about 250-300 RV's) and they are all doing just fine.

The error in the state department statement is the crazy methods they use to make their warnings. If there is a bad area in one city they condemn the whole state. ( Under these standards you should not go to California because there are dangerous areas in the city of Los Angeles.) Using these standards there would be dozens of American cities that would make each of those state unsafe to travel within. A little crazy???

There are over 1,000,000 expats that snowbird or live in Mexico each year. There are 12,000,000 tourists that visit Mexico each year. We are NOT all living in fear. We are enjoying a sun filled winter in an interesting culture.

You might want to give it a try, you might love it here.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRanger View Post
Here is our actual experience of living in Mexico. We have owned a home in Mazatlan, Sinaloa for 9 years. This is our fifth winter as snowbirds here. We drive the 750 mile down and back each year and spent 5 months here.

Our experience is opposite of almost every commenter to this thread. We feel safer here than in our home state of Washington. We regularly travel both by our own car and on buses and have had no troubles in the dozen years we have been visiting Mexico.

In our town there are 25,000 expats (Americans & Canadians) living here each winter. In our neighborhood there are 5 RV parks (about 250-300 RV's) and we are all doing just fine.

The error in the state department statement is the crazy methods they use to make there warnings. If there is a bad area in one city they condemn the whole state. ( Under these standards you should not go to California because their are dangerous areas in the city of Los Angeles.) Using these standards there would be dozens of American cities that would make each of those state unsafe to travel within. A little crazy???

There are over 1,000,000 expats that snowbird or live in Mexico each year. There are 12,000,000 tourists that visit Mexico each year. We are NOT all living in fear. We are enjoying a sun filled winter in an interesting culture.

You might want to give it a try, you might love it here.
It's like saying, "don't go to Illinois, because....CHICAGO!!"

The carnage in Chicago is limited to areas no RVer would ever visit intentionally. I suspect the same is true in most areas in Mexico. Plus stay out of nightclubs at 2 in the morning. (Not a problem for this 63 year old)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #28

By all means, go to Mexico and enjoy and be safe! I've had my one and only "not so good experience" in Cancun and I've decided to be a quick learner.

You are not only dealing with a Foreign Country with Sketchy Foreign Laws and a Foreign Language (yep, I do not speak Spanish), but also, you can unknowingly end up in a Sketchy area and not even know it.

I'll take my chances here in the USA and also in our Great Neighbor to the North...Canada. So much in these Two Great Countries that my wife and I have not seen. I'm sure that will keep us busy for the rest of our days...and I'm good with that!

Closed Thread