RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #1

MICE

I have read this forum time and time again on mouse control. I have read about every remedie possible. Was talking to a neighbor today (6 foot rule enforced because of coronavirus). I explained my mouse issue that I just discovered. He was leaving his home and going over to his father's farm. He said that if I wasn't doing anything he wanted me to follow him so that he could show me something. We drove 8 miles to his dads farm. He walked over to his dads 2014 5th wheel that was sitting within 10 ft of the farms grain shed. He ask me to open the side door on the grain shed. When I did I seen probally 8 to 10 mice running. Then he showed me the inside of his dads 5th wheel. He said that it has been sitting in the same spot since 2014 other than when they used it. He said there had never been a mouse in it. He has cotton balls soaked with essence of pepermint hanging on paperclips inside of the bottom drawers. He also has 3 in each of the basement compartments. He said that every 3 weeks he gives each cotton ball 5 drops of essence of peppermint oil from a eye dropper. Has never had a mouse in his unit. Testimonial that I witnessed.

Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

I have used a product called mouse mint. Never had any mice inside. Of course we always leave Dcon outside of our unit,too.

daco4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

I may have that backwards. It may be Mint Mouse. It comes in packets to throw in corners or under furniture or boxes.
daco4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

I live on a farm. We fight mice in all equipment all year. Fresh cab works but as you can see it wears off after time. You have to replace the bags.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200408_103743.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	281047
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
I have read this forum time and time again on mouse control. I have read about every remedie possible. Was talking to a neighbor today (6 foot rule enforced because of coronavirus). I explained my mouse issue that I just discovered. He was leaving his home and going over to his father's farm. He said that if I wasn't doing anything he wanted me to follow him so that he could show me something. We drove 8 miles to his dads farm. He walked over to his dads 2014 5th wheel that was sitting within 10 ft of the farms grain shed. He ask me to open the side door on the grain shed. When I did I seen probally 8 to 10 mice running. Then he showed me the inside of his dads 5th wheel. He said that it has been sitting in the same spot since 2014 other than when they used it. He said there had never been a mouse in it. He has cotton balls soaked with essence of pepermint hanging on paperclips inside of the bottom drawers. He also has 3 in each of the basement compartments. He said that every 3 weeks he gives each cotton ball 5 drops of essence of peppermint oil from a eye dropper. Has never had a mouse in his unit. Testimonial that I witnessed.
Peppermint did not work for me. Unfortunately neither did the Fresh Cab.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
IC2

Peppermint oil - didn't work. Fresh Cab - used to work but since 2018, new formula doesn't. Dryer sheets - useless. Electronic sound gadgets - waste of money. What works - plug all holes you can find, put 3-4 Victor standard muse traps in the basement and living area. We also use a battery powered Rat Zapper. A note about Victor mouse traps - the ones with the big yellow cheese looking treadle are not sensitive enough for the little mice so we just use the tried and proven old version.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #7

Testimonials, while sincere cannot replace controlled studies and these studies say all the favorite home remedies and repellants just don't work. Dryer sheets don't work, smelly bars of soap don't work, electronic pest repellers don't work. Peppermint oil is the latest repellant fad based on the same premise as the Irish Spring, Pine oil, and Bounce sheets - that rodents stay away because they don't like the smell, or find it irritating. What is lacking in personal experience is the complete picture, and personal testimonies frequently rely on unproven correlations, and one big rule in research is: - correlation does not equal causation.

The success in the above example of the 5th wheel could be caused by a number of things including one obvious fact right there in the story. Note, a comparison was made between an empty 5th wheel and a grain bin. Anyone see the huge obvious clue right there? One is a food desert and the other a food paradise. In the act of survival, which one provides the best return for the least energy expended? Think of two houses in close proximity to each other. One is empty and unused, but the owner had placed dish of rotten meat in the center of the living room. The other house was full of expensive electronics, and piles of jewelry and cash stacked in heaps, visible through all the windows. After the house full of valuables is robbed over, and over, and over again, would you believe the owner of the empty house if he told you his house was never robbed because it burglars hate the smell of rotten meat? On the surface the demonstration of the grain bin vs the 5th wheel was a dramatic one, and seems to make a lot of sense, until you stop and evaluate the claim with a critical eye, then another better explanaton surfaces. If you were a mouse trying to survive which one of the two would you pick? If there was access to an endless supply of food would you even think twice about an empty Rv?

The second unknown is just how well the 5th wheel is sealed. I bet much of the variations people experience with mice have to do with varying examples of how well a rig is sealed coupled with environmental factors, most of which are unknown to the owner.

I'll make the same statement I make whenever this subject comes up. If the repellants sited in these threads work so well, why aren't they used in the pest control industry? Again, stop and think. If rodents are such a problem with us and our RVs, just think what they are to a multi-million dollar food processing plant, food storage areas, commercial kitchens, restaurants, grocery stores and fast food places. If you look you'll find those ubiquitous black plastic bait stations placed around the outside perimeter, not large cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil. And why in all the classes I attended, where researchers who spent years studying the problem, was it never suggested to a room full of a couple hundred pest control people, that we should be using Peppermint oil, or Irish Spring soap instead of bait stations and traps? Why were the same three things repeated over and over in each class - exclude, bait and monitor with traps or sticky boards? But don't just take my word for it, go here and look for articles on how good peppermint oil works for repelling rodents, or dryer sheets, or smelly soap: https://www.pctonline.com/keyword/rodents/
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This topic comes up very often and all the usual home remedies as well. We have tried most of them with limited success. Several years ago on this forum I read that a trailer owner wrapped aluminum foil around the lower part of the tires and anything that contacted the ground. He claimed it worked.

I took the idea and changed it a bit since wrapping foil around the duals on our motorhome would be difficult.

I now place waxed aluminum flashing under the tires and make sure nothing else touches the ground. I rewax the flashing with normal car wax twice a year and we have had no mice now in many years. The trick seems to be to keep the flashing slick so they cannot get traction to climb up the tires which are the only thing touching the ground.

I have posted this many times over the years, but have never had anyone reply that they have used this method either successfully or not, so I only have our experience to go by.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
This topic comes up very often and all the usual home remedies as well. We have tried most of them with limited success. Several years ago on this forum I read that a trailer owner wrapped aluminum foil around the lower part of the tires and anything that contacted the ground. He claimed it worked.

I took the idea and changed it a bit since wrapping foil around the duals on our motorhome would be difficult.

I now place waxed aluminum flashing under the tires and make sure nothing else touches the ground. I rewax the flashing with normal car wax twice a year and we have had no mice now in many years. The trick seems to be to keep the flashing slick so they cannot get traction to climb up the tires which are the only thing touching the ground.

I have posted this many times over the years, but have never had anyone reply that they have used this method either successfully or not, so I only have our experience to go by.
Some airplane owners use this same trick to keep mice out of their airplanes in T-hangars. They have flashing that they wrap around the landing gear that is high enough that the mice cannot climb it or jump over it.

I have seen the effects of mice when they get inside the wing of an airplane and pee all over.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Testimonials, while sincere cannot replace controlled studies and these studies say all the favorite home remedies and repellants just don't work. Dryer sheets don't work, smelly bars of soap don't work, electronic pest repellers don't work. Peppermint oil is the latest repellant fad based on the same premise as the Irish Spring, Pine oil, and Bounce sheets - that rodents stay away because they don't like the smell, or find it irritating. What is lacking in personal experience is the complete picture, and personal testimonies frequently rely on unproven correlations, and one big rule in research is: - correlation does not equal causation.

The success in the above example of the 5th wheel could be caused by a number of things including one obvious fact right there in the story. Note, a comparison was made between an empty 5th wheel and a grain bin. Anyone see the huge obvious clue right there? One is a food desert and the other a food paradise. In the act of survival, which one provides the best return for the least energy expended? Think of two houses in close proximity to each other. One is empty and unused, but the owner had placed dish of rotten meat in the center of the living room. The other house was full of expensive electronics, and piles of jewelry and cash stacked in heaps, visible through all the windows. After the house full of valuables is robbed over, and over, and over again, would you believe the owner of the empty house if he told you his house was never robbed because it burglars hate the smell of rotten meat? On the surface the demonstration of the grain bin vs the 5th wheel was a dramatic one, and seems to make a lot of sense, until you stop and evaluate the claim with a critical eye, then another better explanaton surfaces. If you were a mouse trying to survive which one of the two would you pick? If there was access to an endless supply of food would you even think twice about an empty Rv?

The second unknown is just how well the 5th wheel is sealed. I bet much of the variations people experience with mice have to do with varying examples of how well a rig is sealed coupled with environmental factors, most of which are unknown to the owner.

I'll make the same statement I make whenever this subject comes up. If the repellants sited in these threads work so well, why aren't they used in the pest control industry? Again, stop and think. If rodents are such a problem with us and our RVs, just think what they are to a multi-million dollar food processing plant, food storage areas, commercial kitchens, restaurants, grocery stores and fast food places. If you look you'll find those ubiquitous black plastic bait stations placed around the outside perimeter, not large cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil. And why in all the classes I attended, where researchers who spent years studying the problem, was it never suggested to a room full of a couple hundred pest control people, that we should be using Peppermint oil, or Irish Spring soap instead of bait stations and traps? Why were the same three things repeated over and over in each class - exclude, bait and monitor with traps or sticky boards? But don't just take my word for it, go here and look for articles on how good peppermint oil works for repelling rodents, or dryer sheets, or smelly soap: https://www.pctonline.com/keyword/rodents/
I agree with your reasoning 1000%.

Proper Correlation/Causation applies to so many topics of analysis in our lives.

I do enjoy getting other folks' anectodal experiences. While not always accurate it can be beneficial with small things to get the wisdom of crowds - like taking into consideration Amazon reviews of a product. Many times though anectodes are inaccurate as you pointed out in their methodologies and one needs to weigh all factors before making a decision.

FWIW, here is what is working for me.
Plugging up all small holes & entry places for rodents combined with humane live-traps baited with peanut butter.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-mice-have-discovered-my-coach-465679.html

Once I'm on the road full-time, I'm hoping my 3 cats will make a difference.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #11

This is how we keep mice out of our RV/Home;

Plug the entrances.

It works!

NEVER an issue.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I had mice and live in the woods. Used peppermint oil throughout the motorhome and in the basement. Have not had any signs of mice or spiders since I used the peppermint oil. Others can say its a fad, but it works for me.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #13

TomCat block-style mouse bait, works every time!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:45 AM   #14

I found something new. Grandpa Gus mouse repellent. It smells like fireball. That would be cinnamon to you non alcoholics. LOL. I'm going to try it. They have a spray and the packs like Fresh cab does. I have an old 5th wheel that we store some of my mother in laws stuff in. I threw a whole 10 pack in there. We will see what happens.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...RoCN4YQAvD_BwE

06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote