Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2022, 05:06 PM   #1

MICE!

I brought my motorhome home from our summer getaway on the Maine coast last Saturday. I winterized the plumbing yesterday and spread mouse repellant sacks around. I put them in every compartment in the basement, and throughout the interior of the coach including one in the bathroom. Today I found a dead mouse in the toilet and mouse turds in the kitchen sink. Looks like the little buggers are attracted to RV antifreeze just like they are to regular car coolant? This is my first winter storing it at my house. Last year it was at the dealers parked outside but the repellant sacks kept them at bay. Aside from setting traps every day how do you keep the little bas$7@rds from destroying things?
Britbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #2

1. Buy 2 cats
2. Place one inside coach, close door (be sure to make sure cat doesn’t suffocate from heat)
3. Put 2nd cat on long leash outside of coach.

Alternatively -

I made 4 rat bait holders using 2” pvc tee’s, short pieces of 2” pipe, and a couple of 2” pipe caps (can send pictures if you want).
Load a block of rat bait in each on, place 1 by each tire.
I’ve found rats/mice to be lazy and not climb the tires when there is bait right there.
I check the traps almost daily - sometimes I add no bait, other times, only 1 bait, and an occasionally, all 4 need bait.

So far, no signs of rats/mice.

BTW - I’ve found it easier to drain the water lines and insuring no water is puddled by using low pressure compressed air to blow through the water lines - as opposed to using anti-freeze. Takes about the same amount of time.

But then, I’m in Texas.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #3

If you live in the woods, you have mice. They are bad this year where we are. They go in after food or water. I check the traps every few days and have gotten many this year, in the MH the house and my car.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #4

Do a search using the word "mice" and my forum name. Get comfortable because my posts can be long. I did institutional pest control for 16 years so I've made a lot of posts on this subject. Mice/rats were one of my most common work orders. This is a very common topic on Rv forums especially this time of the year.

We were taught by professional researchers that there is no such thing as an effective repellent, although one study showed a measurable reduction in mouse/rat visits to an area with the application of cat urine.

You need to crawl around your rig and seal up any holes. It's the most important, yet most difficult step. It's the equivalent of locking all your doors and windows before leaving on vacation.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:23 AM   #5

The most effective way to prevent mice from using your RV for home is cleanliness. Remove all traces of food from the RV, wash all countertops, refrigerator, range, drawers that contain cooking utinsels, etc. to remove trace odors of food.
Next/in addition is as Tom stated, prevent entry. A mouse can get through a hole as large as its head. (think dime-size).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:50 AM   #6

One problem in removing all food attractants with some years of MoHo’s is soy based wiring insulation was used.

Between that, and the need for mice/rats to chew, and wiring makes a perfect chewing medium, it’s an uphill battle.

Do as the others have suggested - and don’t ignore your coach until a few days before you want to head out on a trip. Maintain a constant visual of checking the coach out, both inside and out.
Make sure your doghouse fits tight and utilizes good gap sealing techniques.
Along with the previously mentioned “check for holes, cracks, crevices for entry”, check all dash/firewall penetrations for being sealed.
Seal any holes, cracks, crevices with a combination of heavy steel wool or metal Brillo pad and squirt foam or silicone/butyl sealant.

From what I’ve been told, rats/mice also leave an unintended scent trail. Unintended (they have no sphincter control - not sure about bladder) but traceable.
Removal of all fecal remnants and wiping of surfaces with bleach is important to minimizing their habitation.

And don’t forget the top of the engine and transmission - great rest stops for rodents to relax and feast (I’ve even found acorn remnants from the local squirrel population on my engine). Clean/vacuum any visible fecal matter as best you can, fill a spray bottle with a tablespoon of bleach and water and spray everywhere you can on surfaces that fecal matter was found - to include any “ladder’s” (wire harnesses, linkages, etc.) the varmints will climb to get there.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil have worked or me for the last 5 years. Just have to re-wet them them once or twice over the winter.. And air out the motorhome well before using it in the spring. Make sure you use essential oil of peppermint.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
The best thing that worked for me was two ferrule cats. My local animal foundation has a program where they spay and nueter them. I've had two for years now and yes I have to feed them. Now they are friendly and come for back scratches. But no mice.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #9

We use to have a problem with mice every year. I would set traps and would have to check them every few days. Got tired of that and was told to use laundry dryer sheets or mothballs. We have since placed the dryer sheets in various spots in the motorhome and also put a couple packages of mothballs in the coach every winter. Yes, the mothballs have a strong odor but the smell goes away in a day or two after you remove them. Never had a mouse in the years since though.
NHBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoone View Post
We use to have a problem with mice every year. I would set traps and would have to check them every few days. Got tired of that and was told to use laundry dryer sheets or mothballs. We have since placed the dryer sheets in various spots in the motorhome and also put a couple packages of mothballs in the coach every winter. Yes, the mothballs have a strong odor but the smell goes away in a day or two after you remove them. Never had a mouse in the years since though.

There are pictures on the internet of mouse nests made out of dryer sheets.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #11

Cat!!

My cat left a chipmunk and 3 mice yesterday and 4 mice so far today.

This time of year they’re looking to get inside anything. Food is a plus but the cold is why they’re looking for shelter.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There are pictures on the internet of mouse nests made out of dryer sheets.
There were certain subjects that were always part of our yearly recert classes because they were such common and widespread issues, not only in the US but world wide. Rodents were one group - primarily mice and rats, pollinators another. Both issues cost billions every year. Both threaten the human food chain. One in the production of food, and the other in the processing, and storage of food, and damage to structures and equipment.

Every year speakers would address the subject of popular "repellents" which included videos and photos like you mentioned. Every year the message was the same - they don't work. In hindsight I wish I'd asked for copies of the studies, videos and photos to share in these threads. Two photos I remember vividly are a deer mouse curled up sleeping soundly in a nice bed of shredded Bounce sheets, and the other was a mouse contently grooming itself sitting inches from the front of an electronic pest chaser. I've shared photos of half eaten bars of Irish Spring on previous threads. Recently I watched a videos where a box was set-up with moth balls and sunflower seeds. The mice entered the box, explored around including going right up to a moth ball for a sniff, grabbed the sunflower seeds and left. As I mentioned in another post, we had mice in Janitorial closets and storage areas that were full of strongly perfumed chemicals. Those closets didn't contain any food, yet mice frequented them not only as part of their territory, but as warm, secure, places of shelter.

If "repellants" worked, they would have been part of our training. Our kits and trucks would have been stocked with dryer sheets, Irish Spring soap, electronic pest chasers, moth balls and peppermint oil. From the public's point of view, a "natural" way of controlling rodent vs traps and poison would be preferred which would have been another reason for me use them if they worked. The old ways of using traps and poison would be a thing of the past.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 01:27 PM   #13

Maybe reason some seem to have luck ....It may possibly cover/mask light food scent in MH or previous mice smell they follow. Farmers used to leave a snake in cellar between snake scent and its appetite, keep mice away. My farmer aunt and uncle would tell me not to scare or harass the big old snake in theirs.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #14

I’m thinking that urbanization is playing a role here as well. We live in one of those areas on the outskirts of Dallas.

Our neighbors will kill any snake they see. I’m pretty certain snakes like rats/mice for dinner.

Issues around here used to pretty much be just skunks - now it’s armadillos rooting the yard up for grubs, opossums, and raccoons.
Heck, down the street from us white tail deer have been spotted recently in a wooded creek area. We’ve lived here 40+ years, and I’ve lived in this corner of Dallas County for 60 years - white tail deer are rare in this area.
Coyotes are getting more and more domesticated. Not sure if they or the bobcats that are denning in the sewers like rats or mice.

But the rodent population must obviously be increasing while their predators are decreasing as your seeing local health codes requiring mice/rat bait stations outside of food restaurants and commercial buildings.
I find I have to be vigilant in keeping the outdoor traps around here filled with bait.

Tags
mice