Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #1

MICE

I bought 2 of these and put inside my front and back wheels of my motorhome. Have had serious problems with mice living near the woods. NOT A MOUSE THIS YEAR. picture Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	385383
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 10:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
I bought 2 of these and put inside my front and back wheels of my motorhome. Have had serious problems with mice living near the woods. NOT A MOUSE THIS YEAR. picture Attachment 385383

Being only a bait station, I am surprised you have not seen any mice in your motorhome - especially dead ones. They nibble on the bait and then they keep moving and eventually die. But I guess it's good it worked ;-)
rv156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv156 View Post
Being only a bait station, I am surprised you have not seen any mice in your motorhome - especially dead ones. They nibble on the bait and then they keep moving and eventually die. But I guess it's good it worked ;-)

They move to water.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
They move to water.
What does that mean ? lol

maybe there is water in the motorhome? it's a mouse they don't know. Hey in the end if it worked for him is all that matters. I actually might try the same now ;-)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv156 View Post
What does that mean ? lol

maybe there is water in the motorhome? it's a mouse they don't know. Hey in the end if it worked for him is all that matters. I actually might try the same now ;-)
If you try some you'll probably get thirsty, better keep water close by.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:59 PM   #6

We put clothes dryer sheets in the bays. Works for us.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:54 PM   #7

Have a creek within 10 ft of my motorhome. I’m sure the mice have heard it running since birth.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
We put clothes dryer sheets in the bays. Works for us.

Never worked for me.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Never worked for me.
Ya, there are numerous pictures on the internet of mouse nests they have made from shredded dryer sheets.
Mice live in sewers, why would anyone think an odor deters them?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Its not do we have mice in the fields, but when will they look for shelter for the winter. We use 4 large bait stations that hold 8 blocks each. One by each of the wheels about 2 feet away. I use 2 different type of blocks giving them a larger menu. We clean out all food from the MH. I try to block access holes. DW believes in the bounty sheets and puts out a bunch. About the end of October I check the boxes and normally find them about 1/2 empty. I refill them. Never any signs of mice in the MH

As a second line of defense. Inside i put out some small bait boxes, I have never found any chew marks on the bait.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:28 PM   #11

RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
I bought 2 of these and put inside my front and back wheels of my motorhome. Have had serious problems with mice living near the woods. NOT A MOUSE THIS YEAR. picture Attachment 385383

Good. Keep them full.

Be sure to check your rig over for entry points and seal them up. Use a couple traps or sticky boards inside the rig to monitor. Those are the three steps the pros use.

Exclusion
Bait
Monitor

Maintaining bait stations keeps local populations low. In the pest control industry this is called reducing Pest Pressure. It's like moving from a high crime to a low crime neighborhood. Sealing the rig is the same as locking your doors and windows.

While not as important with mice as it is with rats, once in a while, switch to a bait with a different active ingredient. Helps fight a making a resistant population. No need to switch frequently.

Monitoring with bait or baited traps inside, is a bit of a catch-22 as you are placing an attractant inside the rig. However, as long as you are monitoring and, if you detect activity, are checking again for entry points to seal, it works.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeybitsko View Post
If you try some you'll probably get thirsty, better keep water close by.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:51 AM   #14

These Oklahoma mice love dryer sheet beds, Irish Spring soap for food, and peppermint for desert, so I had to find something else that worked.
Mice do not like the rough side of composition roof shingles, nor the smell, so I put one shingle under each tire while in storage and let it sit. No problems with mice. Keeps elephants away as well.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice