Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #57

I still work for a living so I don't have unlimited time. When I can take the time, the most I would schedule is a 500 mile day, but I have done consecutive 600 mile days when I had to be somewhere.

The challenge isn't the speed driving (my Class A likes 65mph), it is managing your time when NOT on the road. Those little stops and minutes here and there really add up. Regardless, you schedule 200 or 600 (or more) the trick is knowing when enough is enough, when you are tired, call it a day. As stated, weather and road conditions can really change the effort for miles per day. It isn't worth it to have an issue and wreck.
ldsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #58

In general there is a 65 mph lane with a lot of trucks who have governors set for that. Good place to be if on the interstate. Often a better place to be is off the interstate doing 50-55. If one can avoid heavily congested areas the reduced distance often compensates for the higher speed on the interstate. It can also be a lot more interesting! ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Been driving that way for quite a while and I've yet to be plowed into.
But you may not be aware of folks jamming their brakes on to avoid plowing into you.................
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
But you may not be aware of folks jamming their brakes on to avoid plowing into you.................
If they are having to jam on their brakes to avoid collision with a vehicle doing 55-65 they are not paying attention.

As stated before, many commercial vehicles are governed to 65ish. My work vehicle is no exception.

Our interstate speed limit is 80 for passenger vehicles and 65 for Trucks.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We both work, so time getting to and from our location is long days. We routinely travel to Fort Wilderness in 1 day from Memphis, TN. We only travel during daylight savings time to maximize our driving time.

Would love to be able to do the 300 mile thing, but right now it's just not feasible. Our "short" trips are around 9 hours each way.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The OTR trucks are set at 67 max by most of the major haulers. We travel at what ever the legal speed is be it 55 65 or 70 and try to put about 3mph over that. Our average day will allow for up to 600 miles. that is a lot of hours out there but that is when normally fill up anyway. I will put in about 5 hours, the DW about 3 and then I finish up with 3 more. that gives us time for a fast lunch and time to fill up before packing it in at a walmart. we have put on up to 700 miles in one day but that in tiring.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Having gotten my motorcycle license before a car license my mode of driving is always defensive and being alert to my surroundings. I would notice people not paying attention and coming up on me too fast. It just doesn't happen. Perhaps some drivers who are not paying attention wind up doing this, but I haven't witnessed it. I stay in the right lane where one would expect slower traffic to be.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
how many miles a day

I am not retired yet so time is of the essence , so a regular run to get where we need to be , is 700 miles average of the last 6 big trips but we try camping closer to home , 3-5 hrs max and then there is set up time and then a cocktail is in order ,
we usually drive 55 but I have been known to drive 18 hrs straight with regular bathroom breaks , 4 hrs sleep and back on the road
37 hours Calgary to Los Angeles ,
30 hours to Vegas ,
we now live 7 hours farther north ,
we plan to full time in 2017 , 6 months in the warm south , then back to Canada to drag race in the summer ,
and maybe slow down a bit before I have to go fast on the weekends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1575 - Copy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	114201  
roadster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #65

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We try to stay under 400 miles a day. When I plan a trip I try to break it up into segments around 350 miles, then look for campgrounds that are easy access for the route that I plan to use, then move the miles up or down up to 25 miles to accommodate the location of the campground. In 3 years since we left home as full timers, only 2 days over 400 miles. And it has worked good.
Now if you are still working then you have to judge on how you feel after 3 or 400 miles, because it just doesn't pay to drive when you are exhausted.
We usually leave between 8:30 and 9 and quit by 3, 3:30. We stop at rest areas when we have to use the facilities or need to stretch our legs, but don't stop for lunch. I can run 2 days before I need fuel, so I usually will unhook the trailer on the 2nd night and go get fuel with just the truck, so it is easier.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #66

Quote:
Let's touch upon speed I see some mention they go 55 or 60 MPH.
To me I think you're going to slow on a interstate where the speed limit is 70 or more.
In fact a danger to others, I don't go less than 65 in 70+ limit road.
I feel like someone will plow into me at slower speeds.
What are your thoughts?
jimbo2013
Two thoughts come to mind:
1.) 60 MPH is 20 MPH faster than the minimum speed allowed on interstate highways in the U.S.
2.) When I was learning to drive a wise man told to considerate on my driving and never worry about the guy behind me.
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
During our working life it was all about getting to our destination, enjoying as much time there as possible, then it was the obligation to get back to work that dictated the urgency to boogie. 12 or 14 hour days, pushing the speed limit a bit beyond it's max, was the norm. There were even a couple of 24 hour runs in our much younger years.

Now I'm retired and look to enjoy the journey, not just the destination. Like many others have already posted, we find we'll average about 50 miles per hour when comfort and food stops are part of the calculation. Our travel days now are, again like many others, more about the time on the road than the distance covered. I try to limit our time on the road to a max of 4 to 5 hours, shorter is better, longer on occasion if there just isn't any logical or comfortable place to stop.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #68

There are still a few years in front of me before I can retire, so my travel distance per day is dictated by that all intrusive "time".

Last summer we had sixteen days for our hiking trip in the rockies, so the most we drove a day was 250 miles. This made for very relaxing journey. I would love to do this for every trip, but there is that whole time thing going on...

Our first trip this next summer (in June), will be down to Gulf Coast of Florida, which is a bit further away, with only nine days to spend. On trips like this, I take full advantage of the first day "gotta get there" adrenaline. So, day one will be 602 miles, day two will be 311, and day three will be 116 so we can whip in to St. Andrews with a good portion of the afternoon to spare. Been doing trips like that for 26 years without any regrets.

And yes, whatever glamping rig I have, the Reebok governor is set at 60mph. Sure, it's annoying for some, but I consider it safe for me (and any four wheeler that needs to stop quickly in front of me).
It might be dangerous for those with their heads shove up their iPhones...
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #69

Well.....OP.....if you haven't gotten an idea by now....after 68 posts, here's ours - 200 ideal; 300 tops; be at the campsite by 3pm.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #70

We live in N. Calif. and most times the driving is measured not by the miles but by the hours. Traffic on a Friday afternoon can be stop and go for hours so we will factor that in. We try to travel out of the bay area either very early in the morning or late at night. If we travel at night we usually don't travel as long or as far because we want to stay awake and safe.
Sporty27K is offline   Reply With Quote