Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mineral oil for batteries

I know this has been discussed a dozen times on here; but I couldn't reply to the last post because it was too old.
So; If I add mineral oil to my house batteries and live in a cold climate: Will the batteries still be able to "breath" being that the mineral oil tends to gel or thicken in cold weather?

I want to do this but am concerned after Dunner's test results on another thread.
I don't want my batteries to crap out prematurely from not being able to breath at all. (pun intended)

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We were in the bus business for over 25 yrs and when we went to cold country, we just put a 120 volt battery heater under them and then put an old blanket or cloth over them. When the block heater was plugged in, so was the battery heater. Never had any troubles.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
I know this has been discussed a dozen times on here; but I couldn't reply to the last post because it was too old.
So; If I add mineral oil to my house batteries and live in a cold climate: Will the batteries still be able to "breath" being that the mineral oil tends to gel or thicken in cold weather?

I want to do this but am concerned after Dunner's test results on another thread.
I don't want my batteries to crap out prematurely from not being able to breath at all. (pun intended)
I put it in all three on our rig last fall. Was camping several times in temps in the teens. Seem to work great and have not had to add any water. If you charging systems are working right, you shouldn't be boiling the batteries anyway. If you do it will get through the mineral oil I would think, the gas. I don't know the pour point or gel point of mineral oil, but it may be online somewhere. I have no corrosion anywhere that I can see.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Oddly enough I asked about putting Thermoil or mineral oil in my new Interstate house batteries today. The Interstate store owner said not to put anything in the batteries but distilled water. They used to sell a product similar to Thermoil to put in battery cells, but found it did no good.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Oddly enough I asked about putting Thermoil or mineral oil in my new Interstate house batteries today. The Interstate store owner said not to put anything in the batteries but distilled water. They used to sell a product similar to Thermoil to put in battery cells, but found it did no good.
The longer your battery's last the longer he will wait for your money, the main reason for the mineral oil is to decrease acid gas and the mess that comes with wet cell battery's. I have had it in mine for 4 years now, only need water 2 times a year and NO mess no more
Salesman are in the business to sell and make money, not give you advice to prolong sales
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Then they should try mineral oil, it DOES work. I put it in my OEM Interstate U-2200's in about 2004. They lasted just one month short of 10 years and even then were still good enough for our use. We were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road.
My battery box is cleaner after 11 years then my 2000 DSDP was after two years. I check my batteries every couple of months.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mineral oil

How much oil should be added to each battery.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Pruitt View Post
How much oil should be added to each battery.
2 oz in each cell for 12V and 4 oz in each cell for 6V.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dunner's post on another thread:"The oil in the 0°F freezer pours like honey. The fridge oil is like 50wt oil"

This was the post I was concerned over.
So ya's think it'll be good in temps in the teens and such?
I don't leave it plugged in all winter; just maybe once a week for a day to keep the batteries fully charged when it gets really cold.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
2 oz in each cell for 12v and 4 oz in each cell for 6v.
Correct!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #11

I don't think being thick as honey would hurt a thing in cold weather. That being said we keep the rig inside a heated shed, unless we are out camping. And plugged in all the time when it is inside. It's just a skim or thin layer of oil on top of the liquid which keeps the batteries from gassing so bad and the electrolite from evaperrating. You must first remove some fluid from you batteries before adding the oil if they are full. I used a turkey baster for this purpose and it had the oz marks on the tube. Suck out 2 oz of electrolyte and ad two oz of mineral oil. On a 6 volt this is 4 oz per cell. Got the baster at my local campground, I mean Walmart.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I added he mineral oil to my two 6 volt batteries 11 months ago. I am very pleased with the results. Checked them today, and needed about 1 1/2 cups of distiller water.. But, eureka! No corrosion on the terminals. I had to remove wires and clean heavy corrosion 3 or 4 times a year before. I camped 10 nights this winter temp in the teens.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
In 2007, I added 2 oz per cell in my 8 6 volt house batteries. I lived in NY until this past winter and the rv was parked outside with a 15 amp hookup just to keep the batteries charged. Check water about every 3 months and add what I need. NO corrosion at all.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #14

I have lived in a cold climate most of my life and have never heard of this. Keep the battery charged it should not be an issue.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries