Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #99
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I continue to research OR. Here is some background information.

Form to fill out to apply for residency or domicile: http://www.oregon.gov/odot/forms/dmv/7182fill.pdf

The starting page for everything on Oregon Statutes. Be forewarned, this is boring stuff.
https://www.oregonlaws.org/oregon_revised_statutes

More interesting stuff for this thread:
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/volume/17

Title 59 chapters 803 and 807 in the above page do have a lot information on domiciling and registering vehicles.

The pdf form in the first link above has the specific codes for domicile and registration info, e.g. Section 807.062 of chapter 807 deals with Domicile requirements for driver's license.

Sections 803.350 through 803.370 deal with domicile and vehicle registration

Section 803.420 lists the registration fees
Thanks for keeping us updated.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #100

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Here is my story.

I plan to retire and go fulltiming in 5 years. I presently have a 17' TT. Since the DW says that a TT is too small to fulltime, we will be looking for an appropriately sized MH.

As a retiree, I'm not going to worry about moving to a state with zero income tax. But, since I will be putting good money into a relatively large MH, , I would definitely want to find the right state to select for my domicile so I can minimize the Sales tax bite.

I have read most of the forums in iRV2 on the issues of best states to domicile in, but I'm still confused. Remember, my issue is not income taxes but sales tax. For example, if I sell my house in NJ and buy/register a $200K motorhome in Jaysay, I would have to leave 6.625% for the Sales tax ($13225). That's a lot of mulah!

So, any help with this issue is appreciated. There must be other retirees that have found a solution for this. I'm not looking to do Montana LLCs or any other such shenanigans. I'm just an American looking to minimize my taxes, LEGALLY. It's my right to be able to do so. It's also my right to move any where in this great country of ours. I just want to pay only the taxes that I have to.

So where do I move to in this great country of ours and setup domicile BEFORE I purchase the next MH to minimize Sales tax, and registration expenses?

We've made it to 2019. Now only 4 years away from living the fulltime dream. My wish continues to be to move my domicile to a No Sales Tax state prior to buying a MH for fulltiming. I currently have a Casita 2017 17' Spirit Deluxe.

Wife is not sure that she wants to live in a trailer with 14' of living space for at least 6 months prior to buying a 40' RV for fulltiming. I'm still hopeful that I can convince her that it is wise to do so in Oregon to save in Sales Tax and Registration fees.

Just wondering if anyone out there has executed on this idea of changing domicile prior to buying a MH to minimize the Sales tax bite?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #101

I think you have a unique situation as most people already have their coach and have paid sales tax when they decided to go full time. In most cases they are trying to avoid income taxes and sales tax on everyday items they purchase. Problem is their is always a catch and you won’t necessarily get out of the tax. In Washington state my tabs are only 140 bucks a year but I had to pay 5k in sales tax when I bought it. We don’t have an income so the money has to come from somewhere. Each state has their own deal and they will make you pay it in some way. Your best bet may be to just find how to make your tax bill as low as possible. Thing to remember if you buy it in a no sales tax state you will always have to have that as your “home”. If at a later date you try and register in state that has a sales tax they will make you pay the tax then. Speaking from experience having lived in Arizona with a private party purchase didn’t pay sales tax at the time. Later registered the boat I bought in a different state and it was required. Your best option may be to speak with an attorney and accountant.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #102

Talking Tax

It kills me when I pass a Prevost 1 to 2 million dollar coach with Montana plates.i guess the poor millionaire didn’t want to pay sales tax either. Negotiate the deal out the door tax title everything, be ready to walk. Most of the time you won’t have to walk away.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #103

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
... If at a later date you try and register in state that has a sales tax is that they will make you pay the tax then ...
Elite, it seems that Florida offers a special deal to entice RVers to domicile there. Their rule is that if you move your domicile to FL, if you register an RV in FL that has been registered outside of FL for at least the last 6 months, you can then register it in FL tax free.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #104

Quote:
Elite, it seems that Florida offers a special deal to entice RVers to domicile there. Their rule is that if you move your domicile to FL, if you register an RV in FL that has been registered outside of FL for at least the last 6 months, you can then register it in FL tax free.
That's as long as you move from a state that sales taxed you at the present or higher rate.

Then there is the near $500 title transfer fee, along with other fees, up to around $400, depending on what county you tag it in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:37 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Minimizing Sales Tax and Registration

No , sorry, the 6 month rule is correct!
If you are a Florida resident , yes, you owe the tax or difference in a bought out of state tax BUT If you are MOVING to Florida from another state and have owned the vehicle longer than 6 months Florida will not tax it.
I called and looked at the state dmv when I considered it. It’s there in black and white . Being a Oregon resident I have not paid sales tax and would owe no sales tax to Florida because I’ve owned the rv( and car) longer than 6 months.
Understand that is Florida , each state handles the sales tax when moving into the state question differently. Washington state for example wanted sales tax ( at 10%!) on a rv I’ve owned 4 years ! Research carefully
Old 01-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #106

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
... Wife is not sure that she wants to live in a trailer with 14' of living space for at least 6 months prior to buying a 40' RV for fulltiming. I'm still hopeful that I can convince her that it is wise to do so in Oregon to save in Sales Tax and Registration fees...
So, I've decided to do a slight change to the details of our plans of moving our domicile to Oregon. I agree with the DW that the 14' living space of our Casita TT is way too small for an old couple to live 6 to 12 months in it. We love the Casita, but the longest we have RV in it is 3 weeks. Staying a year in it would be tough for us old folks. A single RVer could do it, but not most couples. Happy wife, happy life. Yep, life is all about compromises ...

What I will not compromise on is the basic premise of this thread. I will not pay $13000 for a license plate. That is the cost of the Sales tax, in my current domicile state, for my planned rig for fulltiming.

So, my current plans is to buy an interim used RV that would be comfortable enough to get us to Oregon. The pain for the Sales tax on a $50K RV is more bearable. DW likes a washer and dryer. I agree with her. Going to a laundromat when out for just a 3 week trip is not bad. But, having to do it while fulltiming is painful. Unfortunately, to get a washer/dryer in the RV means getting a relatively long MH.

So, my current plan is to look for a used 2008 or older Newmar Ventana 40' in length in about 4 years time. I think the DW may be comfortable driving a Newmar (Comfort Drive). I will have to reluctantly part with about $3000 for a license plate in NJ for that interim RV. I think a 15 year-old Ventana may go for about $50K or so. I would sell the Casita and get on the road to OR. Then, after changing domicile to OR, we could take our time in the Ventana and see if we even want to upgrade the RV. If we decide to upgrade, it will be nice to not have to pay Sales tax on any newer RV, Toad, Solar Panels, Batteries, New Tires ...

Counting the days to execute on this plan.

Tags
sale