Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Regarding the handle color, I don't quite understand why that even matters. Everywhere I have been (and I haven't been everywhere), when purchasing fuel you have to actually choose the fuel and price that you want (Diesel, Reg unleaded, mid grade and premium). If you actually press the Diesel fuel choice on the pump, then only one nozzle will work, you can try the gasoline nozzle but nothing will come out. So, perhaps the pumps are different in other places, but from my experience you would have to have a series of mistakes in order to get gasoline in your diesel vehicle. ~CA
I think we all have them from time to time. A mental lapse caused especially by carelessness, forgetfulness, or inattention. — Also known as a brain fart.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #100

Yes anywhere ive been in the US. You would
Have to
1. put the wrong nozzle in.
2. Push the wrong button. And/ or lift the wrong handle..
Diesel and gas hoses are dedicated.
Gas usually assigned to 3 grades
And diesel has only one button.

Its unfortunate for sure. Either way..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Spot on Jay! Always use the green handle no matter where you are. You will be just fine.

Except at BP stations. They do not use green exclusively for diesel.
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Had this happened to you?

I went to a BP station that I have never used. I grabbed the green pump handle and filled the tank 21 gallons and went home 3.5 miles as I was pulling in to my driveway the truck started to buck. I shut it off and thinking I got bad fuel I checked to see if I hat the recite. Look at the recite I said [Mod Edit] and saw I put in gas.
I pumped as much as I could about 14 gallons called the tow truck and had it towed to the dealer.

This morning they told me that it will probably cost me $9,000 to $10,000 to fix if I hadn’t started it it would have just been drop the tank and flush. But starting means a new Fuel Kit.

O it could take up to 90 days to get the Fuel Kit they are on back order.

[emoji33][emoji30]
Yep, had the same thing happen with my Duramax truck at a BP station on I-40 in TN.
HardTravln
HardTrvln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Not at BP stations they call there gas green gas so there handles for gas is green there Diesel handle is black. The opposite of the other stations. I thought it was a standard but it is not. I looked up on YouTube 10 misfuelings and 9 out of 10 were at BP stations.
I will not be going to BP.
Pammyjill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #104

Nearly got sucked into this one too. I pulled into a BP station and was looking for the "green" handle. Then I realized they were ALL green. Finding the diesel pump was not easy. Wasn't well marked. I can understand some of the confusion. Selecting the grade is the last and best check to avoid a large problem. I didn't appreciate trying to circle the pumps with a 40 foot fiver.

Phil and Charon
2020 One ton RAM
2020 Vilano Fifth Wheel
Bigtoado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:19 PM   #105

Wrong fuel in diesel engine

I am with you. You have to select the fuel first. Nothing comes out of diesel handle when you use it and vice versa.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:37 AM   #106

Misfueling

I had a dad that was a trucker and diesel fan for years. Both his trucks and cars. When I would visit he would let me borrow/drive his cars if they needed fuel before he could get to it he would tell me. “Pull your head out before you put it in “. I’m thinking he was talking about fueling up his diesel cars ! Good idea about lots of things in life. Especially at the pump! Pay attention to what you are doing!

RV safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 AM   #107

Gas in diesel

This happened to the DW some years ago, on our old Toyota pickup. At about 3/4 full (started at about 1/4) the issue was noticed. She called me immediately. I told her NOT to start the truck! Have them push it away from the pumps. I had a half our to consider the issue as I drove to the station. The potential damage is from a lack of lubricity in the gasoline. So I had them add a liter of 2 cycle oil (to about a 60 liter tank) and finish the fill-up with diesel. The engine ran a bit rough on that tank but the truck ran fine for years after.
Obiwanprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Spot on Jay! Always use the green handle no matter where you are. You will be just fine.
Don't rely on the color of the handle to determine type of fuel. Always read the labels.
cjmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #109

BP = Bad Petroleum

I would’ve thought green handles were standard for diesel. Guess not.
zibberfitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #110

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishar View Post
Came close in Georgia. Grabbed the green handle, pushed the diesel button and nothing came out. Good thing.

Green was premium gas and yellow was diesel.
Kind of what I was thinking, you have to press the button on the pump to select fuel type too.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:22 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Regarding the handle color, I don't quite understand why that even matters. Everywhere I have been (and I haven't been everywhere), when purchasing fuel you have to actually choose the fuel and price that you want (Diesel, Reg unleaded, mid grade and premium). If you actually press the Diesel fuel choice on the pump, then only one nozzle will work, you can try the gasoline nozzle but nothing will come out. So, perhaps the pumps are different in other places, but from my experience you would have to have a series of mistakes in order to get gasoline in your diesel vehicle. ~CA
You are 100% correct. I think the problem is when someone has a gas vehicle they use all the time but then has a diesel truck for pulling an RV that is only used occasionally. They pull in to fuel the truck/RV and have a huge brain fart or are distracted and end up pumping gasoline into their diesel truck.

There really isn't anything service stations can do to make it clearer. It boils down to just being distracted or stupid, or both.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
As stated previously, this is incorrect. There is no color standard for the handles. You have to read the pump, not just go by the color of the handle.
Lighten up there Podivin, I was being sarcastic.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel