Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 09:35 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Misfueling

Had this happened to you?

I went to a BP station that I have never used. I grabbed the green pump handle and filled the tank 21 gallons and went home 3.5 miles as I was pulling in to my driveway the truck started to buck. I shut it off and thinking I got bad fuel I checked to see if I hat the recite. Look at the recite I said [Mod Edit] and saw I put in gas.
I pumped as much as I could about 14 gallons called the tow truck and had it towed to the dealer.

This morning they told me that it will probably cost me $9,000 to $10,000 to fix if I hadn’t started it it would have just been drop the tank and flush. But starting means a new Fuel Kit.

O it could take up to 90 days to get the Fuel Kit they are on back order.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

isn't the GREEN pump handle always diesel ?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Just did a Dodge Ram with a 6.7 that the customer put in 15 gallons of DEF in the fuel and it died at the gas station.
Dropped the tank and filters. Flushed the lines with gas. Blew out the pump, rail and injectors with air. Fresh 5 gallons of diesel with TCW III 600:1. Fired it up. Ten minuets idling then went and filled it up. Been fine for two weeks now.

When my son worked at a Ford dealer they put gas in a truck on the way to have a body installed. He basically did the same thing.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Not at BP stations they call there gas green gas so there handles for gas is green there Diesel handle is black. The opposite of the other stations. I thought it was a standard but it is not. I looked up on YouTube 10 misfuelings and 9 out of 10 were at BP stations.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #5

You can handle 2 ways.. as I see it.. call your insurance and see if you are covered.. most are..
Or if you are handy or have some help..
DO just as posted above.. get it home.. dump fuel.. save it.. farmers are always needed free fuel.. and clean filters.. reprime with fresh diesel.. and work it through.. you can add your favorite additives.. that will help.. you may have to use a little starting fluids.. use all safety precautions..
Then see if any sensors go bad.. and replace one at time..
You might get lucky.. I bet you will.. and not have any problems
You are not the only one.. we have all been there.. at one time or the other.. wondering what did I just do.. so take a breath.. check insurance.. then if they say no..
Well you decide if you want to pay.. to have it re towed back and try it..
Bet you can..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-25-2021, 10:23 PM   #6

All the b/p i have seen are yellow and large nozzles in ohio.. but you may want to check your recept.. see which pump you used.. and check handles.. do it fast.. because someone else might get them to change it proper.. if wrong handle or mis label.. then they share in blame.. but make sure you take many.. many pictures and recording and witness.. before you show manager.. good luck and keep us posted.. and do it fast..
Old 10-26-2021, 04:19 AM   #7

Unfortunately there aren't standards or requirements for the nozzle colors. Fuel can colors are regulated by OSHA but the vendor can use any color they want on any nozzle.

The price of the fuel kit sounds like a fuel system. I don't think you have a lot to lose by emptying the tank and blowing out the fuel lines.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post

I went to a BP station that I have never used. I grabbed the green pump handle and filled the tank 21 gallons and went home 3.5 miles as I was pulling in to my driveway the truck started to buck. I shut it off and thinking I got bad fuel I checked to see if I hat the recite. Look at the recite I said [Mod Edit] and saw I put in gas.
I pumped as much as I could about 14 gallons called the tow truck and had it towed to the dealer.

This morning they told me that it will probably cost me $9,000 to $10,000 to fix if I hadnít started it it would have just been drop the tank and flush. But starting means a new Fuel Kit.

Came close in Georgia. Grabbed the green handle, pushed the diesel button and nothing came out. Good thing.
Green was premium gas and yellow was diesel.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about your luck. I see this often unfortunately. Just be glad you didnt put DEF in the diesel tank too. Thats when parts can also really get messed up.

As others have said, try to drop the tank and blow out the system and replace filters. The hard part on the system is diesel has a more lubricant property then gas. Hopefully it wasn't a far drive to your home.

Please keep us updated with the progress as you figure it out or go to the dealer, so others can see this in the future and get an idea of what to do.

When the a certain (manufactures) high pressure diesel pump goes, it usually cost $17-20k to replace everything due to metal shavings.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #10

Folks need to get thru their heads that pump handle colors are meaningless. Pay attention when pumping.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Had a friend just do that to his new 3500 GMC dually, luckily he got it before moving. He had to get it towed to the dealer and cost him a couple of thousand for repairs.
You may find a local diesel shop to do it cheaper, dealer prices seem to be higher then the small business guys.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #12

When I had my shop I had a customer call me who had done the same thing with his Mercedes, dealer told him 16,000+- to fix it and he hadn't even left the gas station. Even though we didn't work on those he was a good customer and I had a guy that was pretty good with diesels so I told him to tow it over and we would see what we could do. $1000 bucks later and he was out the door and as far as I know is still driving it without any issues. Needless to say he was my best salesman after that.
Pretty much did the same as what mrv8outbord did.
And all diesel handles I have seen around here are yellow and have a bigger nozzle.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post

This morning they told me that it will probably cost me $9,000 to $10,000 to fix if I hadnít started it it would have just been drop the tank and flush. But starting means a new Fuel Kit.

We had this happen at our dealership. One of our drivers did exactly the same thing. He drove further than you did. We had it towed to our lot and drained the gas out. After fueling up with diesel it ran and did just fine. My STRONG advice to you is bring the vehicle home, drain out all the fuel, put in new diesel fuel, and drive it and see how it does.
They have given you a diagnosis with out test driving it. I would be suspect of their claim.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #14

One thing I don't understand. Probably 90% of gas stations require you to select your fuel pressing a button, especially for gas. You have to select the grade of gas you want to pump otherwise the pump won't dispense anything.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel