Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva51 View Post
Ultra Leather is vinyl. Maybe a Newell has leather but not the others. Look on the back of your "leather". If it isn't suede it isn't leather. Just my observation.
Like "Rich Corinthian Leather" that came with the Chrysler Cordova.....hawked by Ricardo Montalbán
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Jorg, I've got a German father and a Norwegian mother, so I'm used to dark vs. light decorating styles. Darker colors instill a sense of weight. I think that as long as fuel is reasonably inexpensive here, the "heavy = quality" mindset will prevail in RVs.

Coming from a Road Trek, we wanted small, light, simple (no slides) and lots of windows. We couldn't find anything we liked in modern offerings and opted to go vintage.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I like this conversation.

We are part of the conservative over 65 age group. However I still like contemporary light colors and fabric. We have leather furniture at home. I would never have it in a camper. It doesn't matter if is leather or vinyl. It is cold in the winter time and hot in the summer. Our rig is 12 years old and the fabric is still clean and not faded. I guess it is clean because we do not travel with children or dogs.

It is not just the cabinets and furniture that make the new campers so dark, the wall wrap is also dark, the curtains etc .are dark, even the bedspreads. My beds spread is ivory (washable of course).. With the new fabric finishes available you can have a soft fabric in a pretty pattern that does not stain easily. I think the manufactures are the stick-in-the-muds not the consumers. We have to comprise sometimes but we should have a choice besides ugly brown floors, brown or black furniture, brown walls, and brown fabric on chairs and beds.

My 6 cents worth,
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
The airstream trailers use a lot of light wood/accents....makes the rig brighter
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #19

My very southern mother never liked light colored woods. She said that people of less means (in 1930's) had woods like oak and maple in their houses. More prominent people's homes were furnished in walnut and cherry woods--finished in darker mahogany finishes. There's some truth to her statement.

What our European gentleman was talking about is possibly that more RV's should look like they were designed by IKEA. In 450 square feet, IKEA could house a family of 6 people in style. And that furniture would be light enough to haul anywhere. IKEA has small square footage showcases to show form and function doesn't require 2500 square ft.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV makers build what sells. RV dealers buy from options that they know they can sell.

I started a thread last year called Ikea vs. Ethan Allen and found that the largest majority (at least here) preferred the look of wood (dark or light) cabinet fronts with features over featureless flat cabinets and soft fabrics (dark or light) over smooth vinyl for upholstery.

This is easy to illustrate by looking at Ketterer coaches:
Click image for larger version

Name:	eb269a54f1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	65866
Impressions

Compared to an American Coach:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entegra.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	65870

The European designs are striking...but I believe American's like The "Amish quality" and that's what sells.
It is all in what the buyer wants.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree with the OP. I'm not quite able to retire, but wish there was less "bulk" to the furnishings. I took out the recliners and put in the Ikea Prang chair in red for a pop of color. I have the itch to paint all the walls in something pale.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I think its the style if the day. If you looked at rigs from the 80's there would be bleached faux wood with bright greens/blues and some purples. Same as the 70's....burnt oranges, dark browns......and green fridges..Its the style of the day....But I'm sure if you custom order you can get light wood and what ever colors you want.
ooh yeah the good old orange - dark brown 70s look. Almost forgotten this ...
Slow Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
RV makers build what sells. RV dealers buy from options that they know they can sell.

I started a thread last year called Ikea vs. Ethan Allen and found that the largest majority (at least here) preferred the look of wood (dark or light) cabinet fronts with features over featureless flat cabinets and soft fabrics (dark or light) over smooth vinyl for upholstery.

This is easy to illustrate by looking at Ketterer coaches:
Attachment 65866
Impressions

Compared to an American Coach:
Attachment 65870

The European designs are striking...but I believe American's like The "Amish quality" and that's what sells.
It is all in what the buyer wants.

Safe travels
Yes, I agree. Ketterer is kind of extrem. For my personal taste a bit too unemotional. But as far I know, Ketterer is dedicated for a very specific (and rich) target group. They cost a fortune and are way out of range for the normal RV customer. When I think about more modern or contemporary design I have something like this in mind. http://www.niesmann-bischoff.com/arto-interieur/158/176 Itīs a Class-A we designed for a German manufacturer. Well, size is of course not comparable with the ones you have in the US. What do you think about the design?
Slow Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #24

I think the design is very nice, it looks modern yet very comfortable

Joe Fenech
1998 Itasca Sunflyer
Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Rider View Post
When I think about more modern or contemporary design I have something like this in mind. Arto Interieur - Niesmann+Bischoff Itīs a Class-A we designed for a German manufacturer. Well, size is of course not comparable with the ones you have in the US. What do you think about the design?

I think the design works for a travelling RV. I like it, but it's more automotive than residential. It reminds me of the newer Road Treks (I had an older one). But I don't see it working for the crowd that parks and stays in one place for a while. As comparison; how is the Americanized La-Z-Boy recliner "Comfort Series" doing over there as compared to the Active line? Here, the Active line is a very small market, but the overstuffed Comfort series is king.

I'd like to see these come over though, the size/style is just right for us.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #26

I think the class B's as a whole tend to be more euro design oriented. Also the new 2015 Winnebago Braves, from what I saw in the on-line video had a more modern looking interior. Airstream also was modern but I think those are just trailers. Very pricey.

When we bought we couldn't find what we wanted in a modern coach as I wanted a narrow body not a wide body, lots of windows and simple operation with less things to break. Like minibike, in post 16, we found what we were looking for in an older coach. Surprisingly we also have a '94 Brave.

When the new 2015 Braves are out I want to take a look at them. I love how the sofa can be folded up to the wall with the tie downs beneath or folded into a bed or folded into a table. I also like the 3 point seat belts at the dinette and the lounge chair along with the more modern interior (but not the bright yellow, I like the blue/green in the Itasca Tribute line). However I think the eyebrow exterior design and graphics are pretty ugly and not fitting in with a modern design at all.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Rider View Post
Yes, I agree. Ketterer is kind of extrem. For my personal taste a bit too unemotional. But as far I know, Ketterer is dedicated for a very specific (and rich) target group. They cost a fortune and are way out of range for the normal RV customer. When I think about more modern or contemporary design I have something like this in mind. http://www.niesmann-bischoff.com/arto-interieur/158/176 Itīs a Class-A we designed for a German manufacturer. Well, size is of course not comparable with the ones you have in the US. What do you think about the design?
I like it contemporary but not over done and looks comfortable.
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had a tour of the Entegra plant the other week.
I talked to someone there re all the black coaches.
He told me these things seem to go in cycles and that is what is selling at this time.
Have you noticed all the black cars with black wheels and black trim.
Not my kind of thing but a lot of people seem to like it.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote