Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #351

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin
RV Wizard, are the HID's white or do they have a blueish tint? Considering the same is the reason for the question.
Most HID suppliers will allow you choose.the temp color. I don't care for the blue tint so I went with a 6000K bulb. Great improvement over the stock headlights.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #352

Texas Boomers Club
Protected Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Who is replacing your screens? I have one with a hole from our chew everything puppy. I could do it myself, but I no longer have the tools. I'm thnking Ace Hardware unless someone has a better Idea. Also considering metal instead of fiberglass screen material for durability.
I may have missed this in the thread, but just in case: we cut plexiglass the same dimensions as our bottom screen and attached it w/ velcro. We can remove it if we want, but so far it's stayed on and the crazed dog can't bust through everytime he sees a squirrel dart by or a leaf fall off a tree.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #353

I know this sounds a little strange but here goes, we buy the adhesive carpet runners that is disposable. We use it when traveling to keep diesel and debris off the carpet when fueling. One day it was hot outside while camping and we were waring out the main door going in and out. Sooooo I grabbed the roll and yes it worked great on the screen door to keep in the AC!. Used it for a month and pulled it off with no residue at all. Cost for screen application was less than a dollar. We found rolls 24in X 50ft for $6.00 and can be used for 45 days if needed.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes

I may have missed this in the thread, but just in case: we cut plexiglass the same dimensions as our bottom screen and attached it w/ velcro. We can remove it if we want, but so far it's stayed on and the crazed dog can't bust through everytime he sees a squirrel dart by or a leaf fall off a tree.
Awesome simple idea. Will work great for my kids that don't understand what handles are for
Kd8bao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #355

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cheap solar screens

Can you believe learning to use a sewing machine at 73. Read the manual! Decided to use solar fabric and make day shades to go with our pleated shades to: get more privacy during day, cut down on sun fade inside, get a few more years of life out of blinds/strings and get some help keeping it cooler inside. Found some thin light weight solar fabric at Home Depot garden department. Looked like saddle tan would complement our interior.

Move shade all the way up and mark bottom on wall, remove window valance and blinds. Our blinds attached to top valance so all I had to do was remove valance and blind came with it. If you have pleated string blinds - leave them fully up and hold them up when removing valance. I left strings attached to wall to keep it simple. Measure size of material needed to cover window and metal window trim plus at least 1/2 inch or more with top starting at mark. Top two snap buttons will be below this mark so shade can be removed without removing blind. Snap buttons will be on wall at top corners just below the mark for easy removal. Add an inch or so to sides for hem. I learned anything less than ¼ of hem material was very difficult to sew. Recommend starting with smallest window - so not much material wasted if do-over needed.. No comments on sewing other than to say material worked well in a sewing machine. Install female snap buttons at corners and then locate male buttons on wall. I think the bottom buttons could be eliminated in some installations.
Button installation really easy but you might want to make an awl with smooth blunt tip that will fit snuggly in hollow cap post. Push awl thru material several times then fit cap on blunt tip and push awl with cap on end, out of material. Some threads may hang on side of cap post but are easily moved to side with finger nail.
Note material sagging between buttons. Actually first shade was a tad small and stretching it created the curve. Since curve would be covered by valance - I decided to keep going. Finished window looks GREAT! Just can't test if it helped with heat as parked under RV shelter.
Project cost: Under $50 for 7 windows and once I got the hang of it less than two hours per window.
Home Depot 6x20 foot roll of sun screen fabric, saddle Tan color (38398 72020 0)
EBay - “Lot 10 Pcs 20 Pcs Fastener Snap Metal Button Antique Brass Color Canvas Buttons” Note: you will need snap install tool and screws for these. Got my tool in snap button kit from earlier project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040006.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	22111   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040002.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	22112  

Name:	P5040005.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	22113   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040001.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	22114  

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #356

Ford Super Duty Owner
Temp. test above mod

No real good way to get good test results on interior temp results with and without window shades, so I just took inside temp at window when one side in full sun for a couple hours.
Tinted glass only, 103 degrees
Pleated shade only, 97
Sun shade only, 93
Should be a big change in AC run time and we can be more comfortable with small investment in time and money.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #357

Extended Tile in Kitchen

I've been planning this project for a year. Tried to find my ceramic tile from sources other than FW but finally paid the high price to get matching tile to the existing tile in the kitchen. I had to remove about 6 tiles that had been cut at the carpet edge and install 1/4 plywood where the carpet was. It was a big job to add about 24 sq. ft. of tile but we really like the finished result. Tiling the intire salon area would have added a lot more weight than I wanted too. Each tile weighs 3 1/2#! I ordered enough to extend the entry tile to the drivers side too.

The roof vent louver was something I saw on a 2012 American Heritage ($850K) and so I made 3 for my 2007 Revolution. The louver is hinged for easy cleaning and adjustment of the fan speed.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Original Dining and Sofa.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	22367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended Tile in Kitchen.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	22368  

Name:	Louvers.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	22369  
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #358

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sportech,

I really like the louvered roof vent. You should make some and sell them to us woodworking challenged members, I'd buy one!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #359

That is a truly beautiful interior! Congratulations on that.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #360
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
I've been planning this project for a year. Tried to find my ceramic tile from sources other than FW but finally paid the high price to get matching tile to the existing tile in the kitchen. I had to remove about 6 tiles that had been cut at the carpet edge and install 1/4 plywood where the carpet was. It was a big job to add about 24 sq. ft. of tile but we really like the finished result. Tiling the intire salon area would have added a lot more weight than I wanted too. Each tile weighs 3 1/2#! I ordered enough to extend the entry tile to the drivers side too.

The roof vent louver was something I saw on a 2012 American Heritage ($850K) and so I made 3 for my 2007 Revolution. The louver is hinged for easy cleaning and adjustment of the fan speed.

Dave
Nice Job Dave!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #361
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
New Toilet Closet Reno

After our last camping outting and forgetting to put my pressure reducing valve on and the toilet leaking on the carpet and the smell that came from it, I had to do something.

Finally had enough of the carpet on the raised toilet platform and as well, it being too high and close to the door.

I ripped out the carpet and platform, reduced the height by 3.5 inches and depth of the raised box by 2 inches and redid the plumbing stack with a new flange. I changed out the toilet seal as well.

I then bought some of that new Vinyl plank floor and some chrome cap for Ceramic tile and re-did the base of the toilet box. The other issue I had was when I reduced the framed box height, there were screw holes into the paneling, so I used the same material and made a baseboard of it. Siliconed everything and it turned out great.

The other thing I did was I added a hose bib valve/shut off for filling and flushing my tank right from the toilet cloest for convenience to help wash out the black tank and rinse my sensors.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20120611-00078.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	22375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120611-00079.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	22376  

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #362

The basement in our trailer was a little too disorganized for me behind the basement wall. I also wanted a water manifold.
So I made this:

Name:	drain before 3.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	22401

Look like this and installed a water manifold at the same time:

Name:	Finished basement 1.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	22402

Also added a couple of lights for any future service work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #363

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNite View Post
The basement in our trailer was a little too disorganized for me behind the basement wall. I also wanted a water manifold.
So I made this:

Attachment 22401

Look like this and installed a water manifold at the same time:
Attachment 22402

Also added a couple of lights for any future service work.
Aside from looking better (and I'm not saying that alone isn't a valid reason for the mod), what advantages does that manifold have?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #364
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...

Aside from looking better (and I'm not saying that alone isn't a valid reason for the mod), what advantages does that manifold have?
You can turn off individual water lines. If you had a leak the whole system doesn't need to be shut off. Wish I had one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs