Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Moisture under memory foam mattress!

We have a very new Dynasty Queen short memory foam mattress. When washing the sheets for the first time since we have been out (Thanksgiving), we noticed that the underside of the mattress was wet, especially the platform, and mold was in fact developing on the material the mattress is encased in.

We initially thought the moisture was from window condensation but have determined that is not the case. The mattress sits on a solid foundation with storage underneath. We love the mattress but regardless of the source of the moisture we are baffled as to how to deal with this. The thought of a tradition mattress is not appealing. But mold growth is nothing to ignore!

The underneath storage is fully utilized. I wonder about dry-ez or something similar. We have been in pretty much clouds and rain for almost a month so,the atmosphere has been damp. Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a dehumidifier running in my Brave when it is not in use.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Could be from perspiration. And, condensation. Our last MH did that and I just propped the end of the mattress up with a box for ventilation. I keep two small electric ceramic heaters on low to keep the humidity from condensing.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Are you using a mattress cover under the sheet? If no water is getting in, you're bringing it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

I'd say you have to have water to have moisture and its trapped under the mattress for some reason. Do you have any plastic covering mattress?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #6

Outside the box...

They make plastic board that looks like cardboard as it has 2 layers with corrogated part inside.

Used for packing between batteries on pallets and signs.

You could get some of this the size of bed then drill lots of holes before placing it under matriss

It will allow air in there via the gap in the middle.

Holes only one side then blocks from that side another option.

Need to find source and determine how to block path or remove it
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I was just reading about the moisture problem in my new RVs guide. What they warned was when in high moisture areas use a dehumidifier or even dry-ez, and make sure the coach has an outlet for fresh air. Hot enclosed areas produce moisture, more so than a home due to the small area and non natural materials.

My only other recall was when a carpet cleaner service told us to never dry the carpet out with hot air because it causes mold, to use cool air fans only . Good luck, and I hope it's just a winter thing!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #8

Seems to be a problem that affects boaters too. Warm bodies and warm exhaled air meets a cool bedroom and platform and condenses. Found a product called hypervent from a boating source which might work. Currently have mattress propped up and a fan running. Maybe we need to keep the room warmer at night. Also the storage area under the bed platform has no vents. May cut a few holes for air circulation. And treat the mattress and platform with a 50/50 mix of water and bleach.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #9

If your unit is that new, it could be that the materials (both wood and foam) still have moisture in them when they were manufactured.

When the weather gets dry, you may want to put your mattress out in the sun to dry. But again, that may take quite sometime since you live in the Pacific Northwest.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

I think the foam... had the moisture trapped on it from the time you purchased it. They are shipped over from China....most likely not well handled...have different layers of foam types inside and I bet one of the layers has the trapped moisture. I will agree with anyone stating that a good dehumidification is worthy.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #11

Water vapor inside the unit will condense into a liquid when the dew point is reached. Insulation with a vapor barrier towards the heated side should fix the problem.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We have a very new Dynasty Queen short memory foam mattress. When washing the sheets for the first time since we have been out (Thanksgiving), we noticed that the underside of the mattress was wet, especially the platform, and mold was in fact developing on the material the mattress is encased in.

We initially thought the moisture was from window condensation but have determined that is not the case. The mattress sits on a solid foundation with storage underneath. We love the mattress but regardless of the source of the moisture we are baffled as to how to deal with this. The thought of a tradition mattress is not appealing. But mold growth is nothing to ignore!

The underneath storage is fully utilized. I wonder about dry-ez or something similar. We have been in pretty much clouds and rain for almost a month so,the atmosphere has been damp. Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.
Here is an article I found on cause.

Why Is It Damp Under My Memory Foam Mattress?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #13

Another thing to look at: Is the moisture problem under the whole mattress or just at the top where it touches the wall?

In a previous RV where the insulation wasn't great, every morning the top of the mattress was damp that was touching the wall and when pulled away from the wall I could feel dampness on the wall itself.

From then on we kept the mattress a inch or so away from the wall when sleeping and in the morning we moved it out 6" or so to air out. This solved the problem of the mattress itself getting damp. However, if your problem is under the whole mattress you probably have another problem. The above linked article is interesting.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for that link Dogpatch. This is a new and possibly problematic subject for a lot of us. I am going to get into my MH on Saturday (its covered) and I will be sure to check the mattress and the memory foam topper for dampness. This is the first year for the topper. Sure don't want to see mold under there in the spring. I will also find some way to prop it up so it can get some air.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture