Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #1

Monitoring AC power while in storage

Due to a faulty ATS unit my coach lost AC power and ultimately the batteries died. To avoid having to replace batteries again I want to get a device that will text me if I loose AC power. I have a MiFi device in the coach that will connect to the internet.
What do i need?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

They do make something that might do the trick here. It requires signing up for a monitoring service at $10/mo or $100/year. You'd have to come up with your own sensor I think.

While working on that, you could just get your batts all charged up and then disconnect the grounds. Batteries in good condition can withstand -75 F temps for months on end. They do lose a bit of voltage but in the spring you just jump the chassis batteries for a few minutes and then start the engine or generator to charge them up fully. In my 3 winters in Fairbanks, AK, I never had to jumper mine, I'd just plug in the AC and let the 1.5 amp float charger do it's thing overnight and the engine would start the next day.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Failure.../dp/B089QQNKJL

Just don't connect it to an outlet powered by your inverter.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

If not using elect. for keeping warmed or dehumidifier , disconnect batts. and or just run "good" maintainers/tender that don't kill batts if maintainers die or loose power, rather than paying monthly.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Failure.../dp/B089QQNKJL

Just don't connect it to an outlet powered by your inverter.
The above looks like a great product for what you want to do.

Another thought if the above isn't what you want, buy a 110 volt powered home camera. I bought one from Costco that just plugs in and links to your wifi, about $100.00. If it's not working and showing you the interior of the RV, the power is off. The camera also has a security feature that will text you if there is movement inside the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

Thanks for all your replies. Since I store our coach in central FL I need 115 v power for air conditioning and to control humidity. The monitor suggested by hohenwald48 looks promising. However I forgot I have an app called Alfred, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US that can use a cell phone camera which when connected to WiFi will enable a view of what the camera see's. It's a free app and I can use a cell phone I no longer use. I think the app will text msg movement but not power failure. I'm going to check this out. I can point the camera to the voltage display on the coach electrical panel.
Both sold
Old 02-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #7

Take a look at www.rvwhisper.com
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersk View Post
Take a look at www.rvwhisper.com

That may be a good option if you have the sensors. The electrical monitor using that app is a Hughes Autoformer the cheapest is $119. I already have a built in autoformer but it does not have blue tooth connectivity.
Both sold
Old 02-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

You could use their simple battery voltage monitor and set the alarm to trigger below the float charge voltage of the converter.

I have the Thornwave battery monitor, it will give you all kinds of battery information, including amp hours remaining, charge rate, and amps in/out of the battery. Also have the Hughes surge protector with EPO.

My RV is about 4 hours away from home and I leave the refrigerator (LP) on all season. That way, if the power goes off I know how much time I have remaining before I need to tend to it.

My MyFi will run for about 10 hours on its own battery, and I have it powered from the RV's 12V system.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #10

Motorola multisensor

https://www.motorolacable.com/mc4000/

I have been using this for several years. Our fur babies are in RV when out and this alerts my phone if power loss, temp rises above set level, water leak etc. Plugs into wall but has back up battery.

Cost me 5>00 am month for the service but worth every penny to make sure my fur babies are ok.
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, power, storage