Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #1

Mopeds/scooters/licensing...

So, I see lots of folks have small scooters, mopeds, electric bikes, atv's etc...

Do you get plates and register/insure these vehicles?

We just bought a 49cc yamahopper moped type vehicle. Its tiny, and I was shocked that wisconsin requires road plates and insurance for it. Top speed is 20 mph... Practically speaking, it isnt really usable on 99.9% of public roads.

Plan is to use it to scoot across large camp ground, quick food runs a couple blocks away, etc.

Do most states require plates/insurance for something like this?

We paid $30 for the moped, and 70 bucks fixing it... Paying $50 a year in plates and more in insurance seems really odd. As kids we used to scoot around on these things everywhere.

I see battery powered bikes that go 50mph, and they don't need plates/insurance!
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #2

It comes down to this, if a motor-driven vehicle is intended, or able by the manufacturer, to be used on public roads, it is subject to public liability and will need insurance and licensing. Should you hit a pedestrian, you need coverage. Should you get hit, you need proof you were legally on the road. Further, any vehicle intended for use on public roads requires certain safety features, adequate brakes, reflectors, taillights, headlights, etc. that need to be approved.

Electric bikes are a bit different in that most are "pedal assist" vehicles regardless of how some people use them. As such, they are governed under the bicycle provisions of vehicle codes which often have differing restrictions on the three classes of electric bikes.

Obviously, you have checked out your own state's requirements. Using your moped or scooter on the street without insurance of licensing is your gamble, but it may not apply to other states to which you travel. It's all your roll of the dice.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #3

Pretty much any e-bike is legal with no license as long as it has pedals. There are 3 basic types, first is 20mph, 2nd is 25mph, 3rd is generally the "off road only" setting which can be 30+ mph.

Get at least a 750 watt motor
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
So, I see lots of folks have small scooters, mopeds, electric bikes, atv's etc...

Do you get plates and register/insure these vehicles?

We just bought a 49cc yamahopper moped type vehicle. Its tiny, and I was shocked that wisconsin requires road plates and insurance for it. Top speed is 20 mph... Practically speaking, it isnt really usable on 99.9% of public roads.

Plan is to use it to scoot across large camp ground, quick food runs a couple blocks away, etc.

Do most states require plates/insurance for something like this?

We paid $30 for the moped, and 70 bucks fixing it... Paying $50 a year in plates and more in insurance seems really odd. As kids we used to scoot around on these things everywhere.

I see battery powered bikes that go 50mph, and they don't need plates/insurance!

I have the Yamaha Zumba scooter also 50cc but it will do 45mph.
In Alberta it needs registration and insurance but no special motorcycle license needed for 50cc and under.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you're going to ride a motorized anything on the road, the state is going to figure out a way to make money off the license. Electric assist bikes are still classed as bikes because they have pedals, so no license required. Totally motorized, it doesn't surprise me that you'd need a license.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I was just at the Dallas\Panthers game tailgating, when I let my neighbor try out our Ebikes. The parking attendants rushed over and told us to stop riding, because in order to ride on their property the vehicle had to be tagged. So I guess what I am trying to get across is being tagged will open more doors for you to ride potentially.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #7

We have a 2003 Honda Reflex Scooter 250cc, it's easy to load on a rack on the back of our motorhome with a simple ramp. It will do almost 80 mph so it's perfect to ride anywhere and we don't have to pull a car. It requires everything like a motorcycle. Very comfortable to ride 2 of us through the mountains or where ever we need to go.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #8

A 50cc scooter should do more like 40MPH max speed. Legally it’s a motorcycle, so subject to all the same registration, insurance, licensing (you must have a claw M endorsement to ride it on the street) lighting, inspection, and everything else we as a society have decided is required.

Electric bikes don’t go 50. Most are Class 1 bikes in which the assist cuts out at 20mph. You can go faster, but that’s all on your ability to generate watts.
Shadow5501 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
I was just at the Dallas\Panthers game tailgating, when I let my neighbor try out our Ebikes. The parking attendants rushed over and told us to stop riding, because in order to ride on their property the vehicle had to be tagged. So I guess what I am trying to get across is being tagged will open more doors for you to ride potentially.
Those attendants must have no idea what they're talking about. You can't register actual ebikes anywhere, yet. Many states have dropped the 50cc threshold for registration for "motorized" vehicles. It's required regardless of engine displacement. But, all states do things differently. Here in Utah, it's normal to see Polaris ORV-type vehicles on any and every street even in SLC, and they're all registered. Back in Indiana, they were off-road only. This all became more complex when Lime and Bird-type electric scooters, both the shared/rented ones and privately-owned, began to appear. Their max speed is about 15-20mph, they're battery-powered (the wheels don't move if "dead"), and NOT permitted to use on sidewalks...bike lane or street use only! No registration or insurance needed in any state so far.
Regardless of what type of conveyance you're operating or in which state, registration isn't usually needed for exclusive use on private property like campgrounds, only public roadways.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post

I suppose a private entity could say they require tags, but if the state doesn't require it I would definitely question the validity of their requirement.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I suggest everyone who owns an ebike, ATV, side-by-side, scooter, moped (did that cover all of them? ) talk to your insurer. In the US, most (all?) homeowners insurance policies do NOT cover you for liability. If you get hurt or hurt someone else, you will be paying all expenses out of your pocket.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Just found out a few months ago I have to register my electric golf cart if I use it on the roads in my neighborhood. Everyone does. So being a good citizen, I reluctantly head to the title office to register it. What a nightmare in Harris County, Texas. I still haven't completed it. I'm begging them to take my $15 and give me the damn plate. Each time I try to do this, there is something else that I am missing. I've had this thing for years. The last correspondence from the county is they need my receipt from purchase. Are you kidding me? It's a money grab, and I am reluctantly willing to hand over the $15 fee, but they find every way to not take it. I think I've worn out my welcome there by now. I started out being nice, but now when I walk in they all look at each other. I have an appointment next week at a different location.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
Just found out a few months ago I have to register my electric golf cart if I use it on the roads in my neighborhood. Everyone does. So being a good citizen, I reluctantly head to the title office to register it. What a nightmare in Harris County, Texas. I still haven't completed it. I'm begging them to take my $15 and give me the damn plate. Each time I try to do this, there is something else that I am missing. I've had this thing for years. The last correspondence from the county is they need my receipt from purchase. Are you kidding me? It's a money grab, and I am reluctantly willing to hand over the $15 fee, but they find every way to not take it. I think I've worn out my welcome there by now. I started out being nice, but now when I walk in they all look at each other. I have an appointment next week at a different location.

this is what I’m worried about… how does one title a moped bought at a yard sale? List of prior owners? Prior owners drivers license numbers? Receipts from prior owners?

30$ mopeds don’t come with a pedigree… they want a bonded title too…

Most of these for sale on eBay don’t have titles…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:53 AM   #14

Some states have historically been Moped unfriendly, Louisiana was one such state. Insurance is required, along with title and registration if in state.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scooter