Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2022, 04:58 PM   #1

More generator nonsense.

So I have been poking around the interwebs and can’t seem to find what I’m in the market for.

A portable diesel inverter generator! Is there such a thing?

The closest I have come to is the Onan 4500 but it’s listed as a gas motor. Would love to be able to just carry one fuel type and slow the fuel rate by getting away from gas generators running my ac in the summer.

Once the peak heat of the day hits my little one needs to be inside no fun for a baby in the mid to high 90s and it runs for about 8 hours. Added a good amount to my fuel bill last trip.
I suppose if not I’ll end up adding 2 Jerry can racks where my battery’s are when I change over to the iron phosphate battery’s this winter.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #2

There are some, but that depends on what you call portable, and none are cheap, take a look at the Yanmar YDG series as one example
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:44 PM   #3

Man I bet that would be obnoxious! Really wanted a cased inverter style but no dice.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not very portable because the diesel engines are HEAVY. Here's one but its 254 lbs. And not an inverter type either. The Yanmar s a bit smaller, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #5

If you don't mind the noise, look at used surplus military gensets, most are diesel fueled.
My neighbor bought one that is over 25 yrs old, with under 200 hrs on the clock to power his house during a power company failure. I'd guess it weighs ~150#.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #6

For the cost if you could find inv. diesel you could probably mount a racecar fuel cell and a pump.
The newer 4500 watt inv. gennies will run two ACs. Check out tests I Darell's or Darnell's garage Utube cannel for many genny tests.
The new Generac IC3000 is very quiet and starts AC better than a Honda . Two camping friends picked these up , the Dad had a Honda his sons Generac was quieter than the Honda and started the AC more easily. It has some sort of boost technology built in.He leaves Honda at home now. It was on my shopping list when lil old man sold his Yamaha 3000SEB with 300hrs.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:58 AM   #7

I don't think you will easily find an inverter type diesel engine. Diesel's can run fairly efficiently at part load and at the higher fixed rpms that are required to make 60 Hz power. So there are benefits to the inverter technology for diesels, but not as much as gasoline engines.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Onan QD 7500/8000 is an excellent diesel inverter-generator but hardly portable (unless you buy a diesel pusher coach for it).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #9

How about a propane or dual fuel generator?
Old 07-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
Yah you beat me to it. We have a little 2000 watt dual fuel propane inverter generator. Even runs the AC in our little trailer. (Tried it once out of curiosity. We don’t actually use it for that). We just run it off a propane tank. Cheap and quiet and no carrying gas. It’s never had gasoline in it and it never will.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
That's what I was going to suggest. It doesn't answer the original question, but if you're already carrying propane maybe it would meet your "single fuel" desires.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #12

Don’t get me wrong, I love the gas gen set I have at the moment. Low noise, light enough and the fuel usage isn’t bad when not cranking the ac all day. Meets all the needs power wise but a diesel version is what my heart desires. They just don’t make one.

Not a fan of the propane setups as it would require me to carry even more of it. I can get gas just about anywhere and it’s a much more effective fuel. I’d burn a 1/3 more propane than the unleaded.

The rpm vs mhz makes a lot of sense and honestly not something that entered my mind.
I’m adding a bigger diesel tank to the truck this fall and that’s what started my thought process on this. Would have been the ultimate solution (in my mind) for powering a trailer.

Tags
generator