Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #1

More Trucks? Oh my!

This is not an anti-truck or truck driver post. I have the utmost respect for the vast majority of professional drivers and the mutual respect they show for RV's on the road as well as their driving skills. However, how in the world are the interstates and major highways going to handle more truck traffic( even though it is a necessity) in these times of severe supply chain issues? The highways are a structural mess and the infrastructure bill and improvements seem light years away. Better roads? Doubtful. More roads? Doubtful. Think we will be confined to secondary roads? It is interesting how many posts on this forum are dedicated to suspension and handling issues due to the state of the roads and the issues created by passing trucks. Just thinking out loud...At 75 I hope I see a good outcome/compromise as long as I am on the road....Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
This is not an anti-truck or truck driver post. I have the utmost respect for the vast majority of professional drivers and the mutual respect they show for RV's on the road as well as their driving skills. However, how in the world are the interstates and major highways going to handle more truck traffic( even though it is a necessity) in these times of severe supply chain issues? The highways are a structural mess and the infrastructure bill and improvements seem light years away. Better roads? Doubtful. More roads? Doubtful. Think we will be confined to secondary roads? It is interesting how many posts on this forum are dedicated to suspension and handling issues due to the state of the roads and the issues created by passing trucks. Just thinking out loud...At 75 I hope I see a good outcome/compromise as long as I am on the road....Bob

I see you are from MI as well, anyone who visits this state will understand the poor quality of our roads. Some due to weather, heavy trucks, not fixing roads/ bridges when needed. But I have been to other states with beautiful roads that are a joy to drive on. Just depends on how each state devotes their taxes to supporting transportation and maintenance. MI has not been very good with this in the past.

As for truckers, we have many in my family. There really isnt a huge shortage of truckers. They are sitting waiting for loads for days on end. There are many many trucks just sitting with drivers trying to make a living.

I will continue to avoid potholes when safe to do so, and cringe when I cant..

Safe travels!
Old 10-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

MW22r,
The thing I don't understand is this supply chain shortage. I agree, it seems there are more trucks on the road than ever, yet they claim a shortage of OTR drivers. Where are they all going to go?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not sure how the interstates in most states can get any worse.

We avoid them as much as possible and find US highways and State highways are usually in much better shap and try to stick to those. Plus you see a lot more of the country this way with usually a much more relaxed drie.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #5

I am concerned about the younger fast tracked truck drivers about to take to the road. Guess training depends on the company. They will need mentors somehow from those of you truck drivers with experience. Thank you for what you do!
Old 10-16-2021, 04:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in Michigan too and agree we have a lot of bad roads. We also have many areas with high water tables and many freeze/thaw cycles every year. We also have some of the highest weight limits for trucks. It is no wonder we have road problems. Here is a link to an article about the relative damage done to roads by trucks vs cars:
https://www.insidescience.org/news/h...s-do-our-roads

According to the equation in the article, my 18,000 pound, two axle motorhome is right up there with the semi's when it comes to causing road damage. So, if the solution to bad roads is to regulate the trucks, I suppose heavy RV's need to be regulated too.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post

According to the equation in the article, my 18,000 pound, two axle motorhome is right up there with the semi's when it comes to causing road damage. So, if the solution to bad roads is to regulate the trucks, I suppose heavy RV's need to be regulated too.
Trucks are already regulated, and continually checked at weigh stations along the highways.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The last time we traveled I-20 between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham Alabama I counted over 400 18-wheelers going the other way! And that's in less than 50 miles!

I have a lot of respect for most of the truckers out there, but we see some on every trip that should not be allowed on the road! Of course, that goes double for all the crazy car drivers driving 90 cutting in and out of traffic!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #9

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, with all the advanced technology at our disposal, we still cannot build a road bed that can last.

Which brings up another issue….why is every patch in the road either 2 inches too high or two inches too low? Why is every transition to a bridge or over pass usually a bone jarring experience.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It’s $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, with all the advanced technology at our disposal, we still cannot build a road bed that can last.
We, can, and we do, but only where the money has been committed. You know what it takes to get better roads and intersections, right? An undetermined number of people have to die, or not get re-elected.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

I agree on the roadbed. I read an article years ago about the difference between states and the standards they require for road materials and installation. Pretty telling. Plus most states require accepting low bid for contracting services. Well we all know about “low bid” and what you get. Not to mention the palm grease for politicians.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
I agree on the roadbed. I read an article years ago about the difference between states and the standards they require for road materials and installation. Pretty telling. Plus most states require accepting low bid for contracting services. Well we all know about “low bid” and what you get. Not to mention the palm grease for politicians.
In my 35 year experience with my state designing and building highway/bridges the above is not totally accurate. Each state does have unique and different design criteria, but it is because each state has different conditions including rain fall, ground water, soil types, rock types, loading etc. etc. States are generally bounded together by several top notch national organizations as well as the FHWA where design and construction requirements are compared and critiqued so everyone learns what is working and what is not working.

Building highways is normally accomplished by bidding and awarding the design and or construction to the "Lowest Qualified Bidder" (this is a requirement for any projects using federal moneys). Every year we would go through all designers and contractors we dealt with and produced a "report card". These ratings were taken very seriously, and a bad report could knock a bidding partly down and out of the competitions.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post

Which brings up another issue….why is every patch in the road either 2 inches too high or two inches too low? Why is every transition to a bridge or over pass usually a bone jarring experience.
When the South half of I 69 was built in Indiana, the bridge transitions were ~3" higher or lower than the bridge surface. Each bridge was a bone-jarring experience, over a year later road improvements were made.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:16 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Trucks are already regulated, and continually checked at weigh stations along the highways.
You missed my point. I am aware commercial truck weights are already regulated. I am saying that if commercial truck weight is regulated to protect roads (and it is) then perhaps RV's that are just as heavy and do just as much damage to roads should be regulated too.